Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matt Holland, what has he ever done for us?

13»

Comments

• wow, truly astonishing that this thread should exist

in a way (though not in style of play) he reminds me of keith jones, you wouldn't really notice that either of them were on the pitch unless you made a point of watching them and then you realised that they were absolutely pivotal to the team
  • One of my favourite players.
  • Leuth said:
    My God, Konchesky was so one-footed. That turn was Exxon-Valdezesque. 'Kin great goal though.
  • Well apart from the roads, sewerage and aqueducts what has he ever done for us? But seriously, lots of love on here but apart from his rare goals described above, non of his fans have given a decent excuse as to why we weren't playing with ten men when he was on the pitch.

The thread was off the back of the worst Charlton XI which I didn't want to hijack.
  • This is my favourite thread on CL now.

It didn't look promising from the title, and CL can be a very negative place sometimes... but the amount of positivity towards this great player is warming my heart.

Great player, great attitude, great person.

Just started reading the thread, spot on
  • Or for the cheeky retort, he kept the clubs laundry bill down
  • Matt Holland was one of those players that never looked spectacular because he quietly went about his business. He was a good influence on the field, hence the captaincy and was always neat and tidy. Worked tirelessly every match, popped up with a few goals and never once let us down.
  • Yes, you definitely get to play in the World Cup Finals - replacing Roy Keane no less - score against Cameroon, drawing against Spain and Germany when you are a crap player.

Honestly, what hope is there?
  • He kicked the ball over the East stand once - the only player I can remember doing that.

You obviously didn't see dear old Les Berry in action, it was a specialty of his.
    Yep, hoofing the ball over the top of the stand is known as "a Les Berry special" in my family. Can't remember Holland doing it though, at least not at the Valley (endangering a passing bus at a pre-season friendly at Welling, possibly, but that's distinctly less tricky). I think I remember Konchesky doing it over the top of the East once - has anyone managed it over the top of the West since the upper tier was put in?
  • He was the rhythm guitarist of the team - a necessary component but you only really noticed him when he wasn't there.
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember him at Ipswich and praying we'd sign him.

Was mortified when Portsmouth made a bad and we did nothing at first... Thankfully he either turned them down or they pulled out (can't remember) that we decided to bid ourselves

You've also got to remember we ONLY signed him for £750k which is a joke of a fee
  • Quality consistent performer who earned his place in the Premier League and on the international stage.
    But hey, he had no stand-out trickery or unique qualities so let's start a thread denigrating one of our own from the best days.
    Have a word with yourself HG, or why not just call-out Curbs for his poor judgement.
    Dear me
  • I remember him at Ipswich and praying we'd sign him.

Was mortified when Portsmouth made a bad and we did nothing at first... Thankfully he either turned them down or they pulled out (can't remember) that we decided to bid ourselves

You've also got to remember we ONLY signed him for £750k which is a joke of a fee

I'm sure Portsmouth's bid was something like £4m at the time as well? Can't rememeber why we got him so cheap unless his contract was running out?