Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matt Holland, what has he ever done for us?

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Also he is always talking about us on his show including a massive debate when Slade was sacked (very much in the favour of protestors) and recently came to the training ground to talk to KR about what the club is all about so not sure what your point is there.
  • edited February 2017
    Football is a team game and all about the blend. Matt was decent with a dominant figure in midfield alongside him (Parker for us Keane for Eire) but not capable of being the main man himself which he had to be once Curbs went as neither Dowie nor Pardew rated Kish the one man we had with a workrate similar to Parker.

For youngsters like @cantersaddick a present day parallel, allowing for the considerably lower standard we now play at, is Crofts. Ineffective alongside JJ and/or Foley but pivotal with Aribo, Konsa and/or JFC.

I do understand the premise of @harveys gardener but would respond horses for courses.
  • He's always talking about us on talksport.

Might not have had the flair of Jensen but would rather have him in our team than on the opposition.

Wasn't he captain of the Ipswich team that finished 4th in the premier league?
  • What a bizarre thread.
  • He would still get in our first 11 now you clown
  • Scoham said:

Daggs said:

Matty, one of the best. I rate him along with Kinsella and Graham Stuart as the best mid-fielders during our Premiership years.

Parker and Jensen?
    Yeh! Parker was good while he was committed to us.

Jensen, for a bloke that couldn't tackle, couldn't run and couldn't head a ball. He done well for us with his passing and dead-ball work. I liked him, but he wasn't a great.

• My favourite goal of his was his header against Chelsea on boxing day. Not his best, but made me go mental. Probably my favourite game
  • So as not to highjack another thread can anyone explain how he was a decent player?

Look what happens when we don't have decent central midfielders nowadays in L1. What level did Matty play at?

• Sponsored links:

• What a strange thread... Assume you were drunk when you started it at 1am...?
  • Curb_It said:

His goal against Everton at Goodison was an absolute cracker.

2000 and something?

Most years are these days.
  • What a strange thread... Assume you were drunk when you started it at 1am...?

Matty refused to buy his round :wink:
  • And that Kinsella was lazy prick too......

:wink:
  • Holland would walk into our current side (probably still now)
  • LenGlover said:

Football is a team game and all about the blend. Matt was decent with a dominant figure in midfield alongside him (Parker for us Keane for Eire) but not capable of being the main man himself which he had to be once Curbs went as neither Dowie nor Pardew rated Kish the one man we had with a workrate similar to Parker.

For youngsters like @cantersaddick a present day parallel, allowing for the considerably lower standard we now play at, is Crofts. Ineffective alongside JJ and/or Foley but pivotal with Aribo, Konsa and/or JFC.

I do understand the premise of @harveys gardener but would respond horses for courses.

Thanks for that. As I said I remember him. I even. Allen him my favourite player for a number of years (mostly because he was captain) but I didn't take in the detail about the football back then..
  • So as not to highjack another thread can anyone explain how he was a decent player? Came with a rep as a box to box midfielder but got about 2 goals a season. Didn't tackle or close down effectively. Few assists. Did a good wavey thing to gee up the fans. As captain presided over a rare dressing room fracture between young and old. Cleanshorts is an observation as well as a critisism. Please advise what he was good at? As a pundit, does he ever romanticice his six years spent at the Valley, many as captain? No. Does he give a toss about our plight? No.

though by the last season he was (similar to Jackson) tiring a bit I felt for his first 4/5 seasons he was a great servant to the club and a great player. as soon as he walked in after the transfer from Ipswich he made a difference. he moved the ball well and was good at organising our set up. becoming our captain straight away.

he is a little separated from it and tries to be balanced on his views on the most part if that's what you mean by giving a toss. though it wasn't long ago on national radio and in the press he was slamming duchatelet for his ownership of the club. the few times I've heard him talk about Charlton he speaks with great fondness for the club.
  • Very unfair criticism of MH. An International Captain with hundreds of major league appearances to his name.

He may have been Mr Cleanshorts, but he was also Mr Dependable.
  • So as not to highjack another thread can anyone explain how he was a decent player? Came with a rep as a box to box midfielder but got about 2 goals a season. Didn't tackle or close down effectively. Few assists. Did a good wavey thing to gee up the fans. As captain presided over a rare dressing room fracture between young and old. Cleanshorts is an observation as well as a critisism. Please advise what he was good at? As a pundit, does he ever romanticice his six years spent at the Valley, many as captain? No. Does he give a toss about our plight? No.

Sober yet HG? Top tip, don't mix lemonade with carling!! :wink:
  • I'm assuming the OP is on a massive wind-up. Matty was a consummate professional who never gave anything less than a 100% and was always committed to the cause. Of players who you could have a serious gripe about he wouldn't even make the top 1,000. Most bizarre post of the year so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• He kicked the ball over the East stand once - the only player I can remember doing that.

You obviously didn't see dear old Les Berry in action, it was a specialty of his.
  • edited February 2017
    I'm sorry but if your going to find things wrong with Matt Holland then we might as well do the same for every CAFC player!
  • Everton away, good team performance, opportunist strike that flew in and won the day. Big jump around for the visiting CAFC.
    At the end of his time was being asked to fill in wherever we were short and never let us down. Wholehearted during his time with us. Kins, Holland and JJ all rocks for the club, all fulfilled a similar role in glueing the team and club together.
  • It's threads like this that make you realise that this is why we can't have nice things...

@RedArmySE7 post of 2017 so far. Haha.
  • He kicked the ball over the East stand once - the only player I can remember doing that.

Remember Nicky Bailey launching a penalty over the top of the north stand once.......
  • Me and dad often used to joke about Holland, given that large chunks of games seemed to pass him by. He perhaps did a less-bombastic job than Parker and Kinsella, and maybe it was harder to see his contribution unless you paid close attention. He was certainly better than most of what we've had since but I can see why some might have felt he wasn't on of the best from the PL years. Being such a nice guy and having leadership qualities were key too.
  • Davo55 said:

And that Kinsella was lazy prick too......

:wink:

Don't for get Parker, Stuart and Jensen. Awful players. Robbie Mustoe, Brendan O'Connell, David Petrucci and Eggert Jonsson.....now we're talking.
  • It's good to feel the love for Matt Holland on this thread. He was a very good player for us. As for the use of "clean shorts" as an insult, that's really quite bizarre. It's on a level with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJQTmKl4_Wg