Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luke Varney and Ilewumo Signed

13»

Comments

• Options
    He scored winning goals against Palace so a club legend like Kitson, Rommedahl and Todorov.
  • Options
    ...not forgetting the true legend that is Matt Spring
  • Options
    He's got something, sadly he was like a better Church.

• Options

He does keep getting chances. The difference is that we were the mugs who payed £2m quid to give him a chance.

Didn't Derby pay us £1m or £800k to sign him?
  • Options
    I'd have him back tomorrow varney
  • Options
    That is some goal.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

He does keep getting chances. The difference is that we were the mugs who payed £2m quid to give him a chance.

Didn't Derby pay us £1m or £800k to sign him?
    All went to Pardew for his pay off.
  • Options
    I always really, really liked Sam Rockwell Luke Varney, I'd be quite pleased to have him back in the team.
  • Options
    Nowhere near as bad as some make out. Good energy and tenacity about his play. I wouldn't blame him for it not being a revelation with us when you consider how poorly he was managed.
  • Options
    His confidence was shot when with us I can't forget the miss against Burnley. A tap in to an empty net, he hesitated allowing a Burnley defender to get back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Iwelumo's goal in the last minute (with 10 men) to snatch a 1-0 win against Saints away will always live long in my memory. Probably because I was top row and fell down the stairs luckily to be stopped within a row or two. What a day that was
  • Options
    Unusually critical paragraph about Varney on his Wiki page:

Style of play: Varney can play as a winger or a centre forward. Not naturally gifted with the ball at his feet, and lacking a decent first touch, balance and the ability to finish, his style of play generally involves winning headers and hassling opposition defenders to create openings for his strike partner. Simulation is also a big part of his game, and he has been challenged publicly by opposition managers in the past for diving in an attempt to win free kicks and penalties. Ian Holloway criticised him for a dive in a game between Crystal Palace and Leeds United in the 2012–13 season, stating in a post-match interview: 'He got a booking for a complete waste-of-time of a dive and he was laughing about it but he basically tried to get a penalty and that ain’t funny'. Playing for Blackburn Rovers against Leeds in the 2014–15 season, Varney dived to win a penalty that proved to be decisive in the match. The decision was called a 'joke' by Leeds manager Neil Redfearn. Varney has also been accused of diving by Gus Poyet in a game between Brighton and Hove Albion and Leeds in the 2012–13 season.

• Options
    In hindsight, AFKA's Crewe source gave a pretty accurate assessment of Varney.

We could do with an Iwelumo type player now
  • Options
    Still not sure I've got over Varney's miss in this game, and it was 6/7 years ago. I quote:

"Varney was then faced with an open goal three minutes from time, but inexplicably delayed his shot and allowed Michael Duff to block the effort."

"And with the clock ticking down, Varney blew a gilt-edged chance to win the game when he rounded Jensen and ran towards an empty net, only to take an extra touch which allowed Duff to recover and somehow keep out his shot."
  • Options
    dabos said:

Still not sure I've got over Varney's miss in this game, and it was 6/7 years ago. I quote:

"Varney was then faced with an open goal three minutes from time, but inexplicably delayed his shot and allowed Michael Duff to block the effort."

"And with the clock ticking down, Varney blew a gilt-edged chance to win the game when he rounded Jensen and ran towards an empty net, only to take an extra touch which allowed Duff to recover and somehow keep out his shot."

Never forgotten this moment from a player... Worst miss ever from a Charlton player, reckon his confidence must have been shot to pieces at the time
  • Options
    talking about ex Addicts lets hope leon Clarke (is it the same one) dont bite our bums tonite