Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Luke Varney and Ilewumo Signed

Comments

• Options
    Isn't it true that Reading success is down to a brilliant attitude this season. Admittedly they are well-managed and organized, but how may supertars did they have coming into the premiership at the start of the season. Who though Doyle and Lita would command so much respect at the start of the season. Also was Bent established when we bought him, Dean Ashton when Norwich picked him up? I think these are good signings. Although M Bent started to work a bit harder when Pardew came in he didn't score and created nothing. I'm sure both of these signings will offer more than that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Ledge - £2m though on Varney? Why weren't we after Sharp or Eastwood for a similar amount?

AFKA - Henry at Arsenal? How often does he look lazy on the pitch then bang in 30 goals a season? Marcus is a Championship striker. Thats his level. We're taking a punt on 2 league 1 strikers hoping they may run around alot and look like they're trying?

Because Pardew rates him higher - Varney has scored at this level - Sharp certainly hasn't and Eastwood is bound to have some baggage with um that we could do without.

Marcus Bent is not worth a rub IMHO - I want him out of our great club and don't let his sort near our shirt again.
  • Options
    '3 league goals between them' JFH and M Bent...... how much did those goals cost us? hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of pounds.........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]Good - now we just need a good experienced keeper and a Mark 2 Kinsella

Isn't Pards trying to talk Carson into staying for another year on loan? Seems sensible as in all likelihood Liverpool will sign another GK.

I think these two will do well. Lump to dish it out and someone with pace. I know we've all forgotten about this league but its what you need at this level.

Iwelumo is on a free and on a deal worth around £5/6k p/w so its no big gamble.

I'd expect at least one more Striker to come in as (if DB leaves) that would leave us with Iwelumo, Varney, M Bent, Dickson and possibly Lisbie to break through from the youth squad
  • Options
    It's good business, but I'm not sure that signing Iwulemo on a four year deal is that good, however on a free and if the rumoured £6k a week is true then we are paying out £300K plus a signing on fee, in the sacheme of things if he doesn't fit in then it isn't going to cost us. Presumably Parky had an input into signing him and turning him from a much travelled striker with not much to show on his CV into a steady goal scorer.

He scored 18 goals at the level we will be playing at last season, and with a better midfield to create opportunities he's got to be backed to get that next season.

Varney looks more of a punt, but with a goal scorer alongside him and at 24 he looks like he should make the grade in the CCC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]Isn't it true that Reading success is down to a brilliant attitude this season. Admittedly they are well-managed and organized, but how may supertars did they have coming into the premiership at the start of the season. Who though Doyle and Lita would command so much respect at the start of the season. Also was Bent established when we bought him, Dean Ashton when Norwich picked him up? I think these are good signings. Although M Bent started to work a bit harder when Pardew came in he didn't score and created nothing. I'm sure both of these signings will offer more than that.

Well summed up Nug
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite][cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]

Marcus Bent is not worth a rub IMHO - I want him out of our great club and don't let his sort near our shirt again.

Couldn't agree more Arf.
  • Options
    Fair enough - Can't argue with the Majority. If they succeed and get us promoted then I'll have with Custard with my humble pie. If they don't then I reserve a table for "Hate to say I told you so".
  • Options
    cunningstunt87 is Marcus Bent and I claim my fiver. :-)
  • Options
    Luke varney was signed by Crewe from Non-league side Quorn at the age of 21,Quorn had a 20% sell on clause.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Varney has his own goal celebration, pity it is not as good as the Bas Savage that follows it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq1qFx0Fnzc&mode=related&search=
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Fair enough - Can't argue with the Majority. If they succeed and get us promoted then I'll have with Custard with my humble pie. If they don't then I reserve a table for "Hate to say I told you so".

Hey I thought Hasselwank was a good signing so what do I know. Even his mum wouldn't claim that he did any good for us.

As for these two signings, well its a gamble but you should not judge how a player does at a particular club as the only criteria for signing him, you have also take into account, their technique, pace, and character and how they might fit into the team you are building. I have no doubt that Pards and Parky will have taken all these things into account. On that basis, I'm pretty happy.
  • Options
    To the tune of the Artic Monkeys' I'll bet you look good on the dancefloor:

I'll bet Varney looks good on the dance floor
    He'll dance round you and score four
    Don't know what you turned up for
    I'll bet Varney looks good on the dance floor
    No girls, no bling, what do you expect for
    He came from Crewe Alexandra
  • Options
    show us your real talents Sco and make a song up for Ilewumo...
  • Options
    we can make Luke feel at home just by singing C-A-F-C
  • Options
    Ilewumo, woooowoooaaa....Ilewumo, woooowoooaaa....

It's unpronounceable, he chuffing hates Millwall!
  • Options
    "Der, der, der-der, der, I -We - Lumo" is what the CUFC fans sung
  • Options
    It's unspellable too - I thought it was Iwelumo?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]show us your real talents Sco and make a song up for Ilewumo...

To the tune of "Roll out the barrel"

I-wel-lumo
    Iwelumo's up front
    I-wel-lumo
    Iwelumo's a big...

You asked!
  • Options
    "Scotland, Scotland's Number 9, Scotland's number 9"

Not had a Scottish player for a while now. Greg Shields. Was he the last?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worked for Andy Hunt...though a bit more subtly...
  • Options
    I meant to insert "lump" there obviously.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]I meant to insert "lump" there obviously.[/quote]

Not your usual standard, i'm not feeling that one roaring of the covered end, back to the drawing board ;-)
  • Options
    Chris I-Wel-Lu-mo
    You are the love of my life
    Chris I-Wel-lu-mo
    I'd let you shag my wife
    Chris I-Wel-Lu-Mo
    I'm a Scotsman too
  • Options
    To the tune of "Delilah"

I, I, I Welumo
    I, I, I Welumo
    Come on Chris, It's just like you're taking the piss
    Come on Iwelumo we want you to score even more
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]To the tune of "Delilah"

I, I, I Welumo
    I, I, I Welumo
    Come on Chris, It's just like you're taking the piss
    Come on Iwelumo we want you to score even more

that's f*king class!!! :o)
  • Options
    lol excellent, i think we have a winner

get that going at the jills friendly!
  • Options
    Gonna dig up this old thread here but after playing for Charlton / Blackpool / Derby / Blackburn there must be something about Luke Varney for him to still keep getting chances...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31537515
  • Options

Gonna dig up this old thread here but after playing for Charlton / Blackpool / Derby / Blackburn there must be something about Luke Varney for him to still keep getting chances...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31537515

He'll do a job for you, a better Simon Church you could say. Not his fault we splurged £2m for him in 2007
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    He does keep getting chances. The difference is that we were the mugs who paid £2m quid to give him a chance.