Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gomez/Lookman/Shelvey/Jenkinson.

13»

Comments

• Gomez the pick for me. Lookman a close second.

I was talking to one of Joe's coaches when he was 14 and he told me this lad would go all the way so I monitored his progress. He really is a talent and I pray his injury hasn't affected him in any way because he has England regular all over him.

Shelvey was a great player but I felt a little too inconsistent - not outrageous given he was so very young.
    Lookman was, and is, gifted. His style of play will always polarise people because it is more suited to Premier league. He will lose possession frequently because that's the nature of a 1 v battle but similarly he will put defenders on their arses more than most too. Like with Shelvey the limited ability of the players surrounding them doesn't help to make them look good and it seems Lukaku has taken Lookman under his wing somewhat so it will be interesting to see how that develops - but you'd think it can only be good for Ade.
    Jenkinson was always a very graceful defender but I felt the move was too much too soon for him. Being a massive Arsenal fan you can see why his head was turned. He's a decent and solid defender but never to be a world beater. He'll make a decent living out of the game though.

One thing Lookman and Gomez have in common is they are incredibly humble. They appear to have had solid upbringings and having met them both I can confirm they are polite and well mannered. Almost a little timid in the presence of "normal" people such as myself.

I've never met Jonjo but there was always an air of arrogance about him. Not necessarily a bad thing but until you have "made it" you should remain true to yourself. (Karlan Ahearne Grant could do with heeding this too). Jonjo hasn't developed as much as many feel he should have and he has a big couple of years upcoming.
  • Gomez by a country mile
  • Swisdom said:

Gomez the pick for me. Lookman a close second.

I was talking to one of Joe's coaches when he was 14 and he told me this lad would go all the way so I monitored his progress. He really is a talent and I pray his injury hasn't affected him in any way because he has England regular all over him.

Shelvey was a great player but I felt a little too inconsistent - not outrageous given he was so very young.
    Lookman was, and is, gifted. His style of play will always polarise people because it is more suited to Premier league. He will lose possession frequently because that's the nature of a 1 v battle but similarly he will put defenders on their arses more than most too. Like with Shelvey the limited ability of the players surrounding them doesn't help to make them look good and it seems Lukaku has taken Lookman under his wing somewhat so it will be interesting to see how that develops - but you'd think it can only be good for Ade.
    Jenkinson was always a very graceful defender but I felt the move was too much too soon for him. Being a massive Arsenal fan you can see why his head was turned. He's a decent and solid defender but never to be a world beater. He'll make a decent living out of the game though.

One thing Lookman and Gomez have in common is they are incredibly humble. They appear to have had solid upbringings and having met them both I can confirm they are polite and well mannered. Almost a little timid in the presence of "normal" people such as myself.

I've never met Jonjo but there was always an air of arrogance about him. Not necessarily a bad thing but until you have "made it" you should remain true to yourself. (Karlan Ahearne Grant could do with heeding this too). Jonjo hasn't developed as much as many feel he should have and he has a big couple of years upcoming.

Surprised you took the word of a 14 year-old coach :smiley:
  • edited January 2017
    Been watching Gomez since England u17 days and the bloke has always oozed class. Just so composed under pressure especially for such a young bloke.

I remember thinking wenger had signed the wrong right back after we sold Jenkinson and solly showed everyone what he could do. Jenkinson I remember not really looking out of place and having two good feet but apart from that nothing stood out for me.
  • Huskaris said:

Gomez vs Shelvey. Gomez probably wins because his attitude is so much better.

Careful. Uncle doesn't like it when people say that...
  • edited January 2017
    I am going to be controversial here:

1) Gomez: When he made his first appearance for the 1st team as right back, I was appalled. Then he strolled through the game, as if born to the role. Again, first appearance for Liverpool, even more bizarrely as a left back. Again, looked an absolute natural. This fella is the fastest centre back I've seen since Rufus. Also looks a natural footballer. As long as the injury hasn't had too much of an effect, both physically and mentally, has a long successful career ahead of him. Oh, and is better POTENTIALLY than Stones. Makes far fewer mistakes.

2) Shelvey: Vision, pace, power, and a shot that can rip the goal net off it's moorings. His career has plateau'd a little, but with correct management could easily be an England regular. In the list, how many have scored a goal for England?

3) Jenkinson: Karl, in my opinion, has consistently been played out of position. Has never had the pace to really make it as a full back. But, has the physique to be a quality centre back. And how many good left footed centre backs are there around? But, he needs to dedicate his training to that end. Bulk up a little, and work at it.

4) Lookman: There is no doubt of Ade's skill. But, there are questions about his ability to do all that is expected of a footballer in the modern game. And, unfortunately for him, his size will always make it difficult for him to achieve all he wants from the game.
  • Ross said:

A team of academy products currently still playing:

Randolph/Elliott

Solly/Jenkinson Gomez Konsa Fox/Holmes-Dennis

Cousins Poyet Shelvey Aribo

Lookman

Defoe Anyone?????

Oh what could have been......

Lookman and Aribo weren't really Academy products.
  • Gomez easily
  • Gomez, Shelvey, lookman
  • I am going to be controversial here:

1) Gomez: When he made his first appearance for the 1st team as right back, I was appalled. Then he strolled through the game, as if born to the role. Again, first appearance for Liverpool, even more bizarrely as a left back. Again, looked an absolute natural. This fella is the fastest centre back I've seen since Rufus. Also looks a natural footballer. As long as the injury hasn't had too much of an effect, both physically and mentally, has a long successful career ahead of him. Oh, and is better POTENTIALLY than Stones. Makes far fewer mistakes.

2) Shelvey: Vision, pace, power, and a shot that can rip the goal net off it's moorings. His career has plateau'd a little, but with correct management could easily be an England regular. In the list, how many have scored a goal for England?

3) Jenkinson: Karl, in my opinion, has consistently been played out of position. Has never had the pace to really make it as a full back. But, has the physique to be a quality centre back. And how many good left footed centre backs are there around? But, he needs to dedicate his training to that end. Bulk up a little, and work at it.

4) Lookman: There is no doubt of Ade's skill. But, there are questions about his ability to do all that is expected of a footballer in the modern game. And, unfortunately for him, his size will always make it difficult for him to achieve all he wants from the game.

OK - I'll bite. Living up to the last word of your username. :-)

Shelvey - Pace is not a word I would have attributed to Jonjo. For me it was his biggest weakness.
    Jenkinson is right footed
    Lookman's size used to concern me but he is so nimble and surprisingly strong. As I said earlier - in League 1 he got bullied but in the Premiership he will show his worth. There's a short chap at Barca - he's doing alright for himself.

• Sponsored links:

• Lookman - talented and dedicated, shone even when played out of position
    Shelvey's talent was clear enough but his application was found wanting
    Gomez - we didn't see often enough in his best position and 18 is young for a 2nd division centre half
    Jenkinson - very decent player for whom our opportunity came too early

At age 19 Lookman is the best of the lot by a distance - Joe Gomez could end up having the best career if his injury luck improves and he gets time to learn his craft
  • Good question

Gomez at No.1 for me. You could just see he had the raw skills and when they were honed and coupled with his short-distance pace, he was going to be special

Not on the list but only just behind him I would have said Poyet. The bloke in my opinion was absolute class, immaculate first touch and ability to keep shape and possession. I'm convinced he had as much to do with our turnaround that season as Riga. I cannot believe how he seems to have fallen away from his originally level.

Jenkinson it all happened quickly with, but I'd seen him playing youth / reserves centrally and he had impressed and you could see he was going to have a chance. I didn't expect him to move up the gears as quick as he did though.

Lookman had that very rare street style talent that is very rare to see in this country, normally because high level junior / academy football has over the last 30 years done its best to drill that out of individuals. Lookman skipped the system and it shows, and that's what gives him a uniqueness. Would have loved to have seen him playing in a striking two in a decent team for us

Shelvey similarly I think we never saw anywhere near the best of. After his initial impressive entry as a 16yr old playing as an orthodox centre mid, he never played there again for us, either pushed out left or playing behind a lone striker but largely facing his own goal. Never could understand that, and don't think he really impressed for us as a result even though you could see he had natural ability and vision

Can't really comment on Gomez as I never saw him play in the flesh, but otherwise... what AFKA said.
  • Swisdom, I'd add that Carl certainly isn't short of pace.
  • Swisdom, I'd add that Carl certainly isn't short of pace.

I'd agree and I didn't say he was. I was referring to Jonjo
  • Gomez for me, he looked pure class. If he can recover from his injury then could go on to be as good as the late great Bobby Moore imo.
  • It's hard to predict how young players develop

Nobody would have predicted that Harry Arter would go on to be a PL regular, whereas Shelvey would currently be in the Championship
  • Gomez out again tonight hope it's not achillies related.
  • Gomez, Shelvey and Lookman are all on a par. We didn't see any of them for as long as any of us would have liked.

For me Jonjo carried quality around with him and like Bowyer looked ready for the big boys when he was 17. If we were playing 2nd tier football with him as opposed to cruddy 3rd division stuff he would have played every week. I can get why parkinson didn't play him because most of the other squad members didn't have the intelligence to read what he was doing. I would have played him still as he was and is a match winner.

Gomez is as others have said a rolls Royce of a defender. Reads the game amazingly well for a man of his age, had a nice 5 yard burst of speed and was never skinned at centre half. He isn't a right back but certainly didn't disgrace himself there

Jenkinson had good passing ability, was physically strong and looked mature in possession. As a full back in the modern day I still think Solly is better but Carl had a very good delivery on him

Lookman I loved watching but as I'm boycotting for the last couple of years I haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to break down his ability

• NEW DEAL FOR GOMEZ?

Joe Gomez is reportedly set to sign a new five-year deal with Liverpool.

The Liverpool Echo say advanced talks are taking place as Gomez looks to commit his future to the club until 2022.

Gomez only recently returned from a long-term injury and has only played twice under Jurgen Klopp.

However, according to the Echo, Klopp has been " the driving force behind Gomez being offered enhanced terms having been hugely impressed by him".