Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gomez/Lookman/Shelvey/Jenkinson.

Comments

• Options
    cafc-west said:

Parker

Don't think he's an option.
  • Options
    Good question

Gomez at No.1 for me. You could just see he had the raw skills and when they were honed and coupled with his short-distance pace, he was going to be special

Not on the list but only just behind him I would have said Poyet. The bloke in my opinion was absolute class, immaculate first touch and ability to keep shape and possession. I'm convinced he had as much to do with our turnaround that season as Riga. I cannot believe how he seems to have fallen away from his originally level.

Jenkinson it all happened quickly with, but I'd seen him playing youth / reserves centrally and he had impressed and you could see he was going to have a chance. I didn't expect him to move up the gears as quick as he did though.

Lookman had that very rare street style talent that is very rare to see in this country, normally because high level junior / academy football has over the last 30 years done its best to drill that out of individuals. Lookman skipped the system and it shows, and that's what gives him a uniqueness. Would have loved to have seen him playing in a striking two in a decent team for us

Shelvey similarly I think we never saw anywhere near the best of. After his initial impressive entry as a 16yr old playing as an orthodox centre mid, he never played there again for us, either pushed out left or playing behind a lone striker but largely facing his own goal. Never could understand that, and don't think he really impressed for us as a result even though you could see he had natural ability and vision
  • Options
    In order imo

Gomez
    Shelvey
    Lookman
    Jenkinson
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Gomez will be the best English CH since Moore and will be in every pundit's world XI.

BTW why wasn't he even on the bench for Liverpool's last match? Injured again?
  • Options
    If Joe had not suffered 2 bad injuries in the last 18 months, he would have been a full England international by now.
  • Options
    Easier to be a defender. Not taking anything away from Gomez who was excellent at The Valley.

Lookman
    Gomez/Shelvey
    Jenks

• Options
    100% Shelvey
    Gomez has some very good games for us as CB especially for his age, but... at times was dodgy at RB. I remember home to Wolves, Sako tearing him a new one. I think its slightly premature to say he'll be a England International, more likely Lookman IMO.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Saga Lout said:

MrOneLung said:

Shelvey for me.

Directing play, entrusted with set pieces as a 16/17 year old. Constantly looking for the ball and a sweet pass on him. Maybe if Parkinson had played him more we would have gone up that first season

Think of the money! He was a prize asset - Parky was probably told not to risk him getting an injury.
    Parky said he was "too good" for the team and others weren't on his wavelength hence him not playing
    Yeah, sadly I think there is some truth in this.
  • Options
    Lookman. Technically the best young player we've ever produced. Comfortable on either foot. Scores goals.
  • Options
    Gomez just has that class of a top top player so he is my number one, especially at his age as a CB.

I find the other 3 more difficult, Shelvey had fantastic vision but was played out of position and was growing into his body. Lookman on form was incredible but this season did not quite live up to the hype with us and Jenks was not around long enough but showed all the attributes or a good PL player in his time.

One thing for nothing they are all well ahead of any player in our team now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer was a better player than Shelvy.

Gomez is better than Bowyer.
  • Options
    Gomez, easily. Different class and will play at the very top level for years to come if he stays fit.
  • Options

Gomez will be the best English CH since Moore and will be in every pundit's world XI.

BTW why wasn't he even on the bench for Liverpool's last match? Injured again?

Talk about an exaggeration
  • Options
    Gomez certainly has massive potential, but so does John Stones...

Watching MOTD on Sunday, Harry Maguire looked superb that day, doing it 600 times is what makes you a top player
  • Options
    I think you only need to look at clubs they play for to answer this one.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Jenkinson, Gomez, Lookman, Shelvey then in that case
  • Options
    Gomez just oozed class every time I saw him play, even in the youth teams at such a young age he was so mature and comfortable. Couldn't ask for a better manager to work under right now, maybe Koeman, Pochettino and Guardiola, but if Gomez stays fit, develops his game, he has the potential to have it all. Strength, speed, agility, power, comfortable on the ball, decent in the air, reads the game exceptionally well, can play in all along the back four and potentially as a holding midfielder if really needed. - future England captain in my opinion and believe if he stayed fit all last season, people would be talking about Gomez instead of Stones being the future England centre half.

Shelvey was head and shoulders above any player we had at the time he was with us. His range of passing and vision for a 16/17/18 year old was phenomenal. Tactically he showed he could do it as well. He had so much potential at such a young age, that I actually think his move to Liverpool was not the right one at that time. I can understand why he did, his idol is Gerrard, but it's a shame he didn't get to play more often and in an advanced role for them. It's also a shame that he isn't 18 now joining Liverpool as I believe he would be a much better player than he is right now. Has the ability to really progress if he brings it all together and his discipline improves.

Lookman was an absolute joy to watch, the one player who has came into the first team at such a young age that has the ability to make you get off your seat. He has the skill, the pace and the ability to finish superbly with both feet. At only 19 years of age, to be able to do what he can do bodes very well for the future. An England international for sure in a couple of years. Most skilful young players burst onto the scene and fade away, I just can't see that with Lookman. He is clearly very humble and down to earth, he understands he has a lot to learn but is willing to work hard. With better players around him, challenging him, making him a better player, he has the potential to be a star.

Jenkinson was a raw talent in a shocking side. In my honest opinion, that is why I believe he stood out more than he probably would elsewhere. As a full back he is very tall, but agile and quite fast, but when you're that type of build and player, you've got to be comfortable on the ball and able to read the game well. I personally don't believe he is that good of a defender, but isn't brilliant going forward either. Moving to Arsenal and into the first team right way after only a few games for us was a step up too big for him, I think if he went on loan to a championship club for half a season and premier league club for the other half, he may have been able to develop more naturally. Instead he has not made an impact at either Arsenal or West Ham. I do think he will have a decent career however. Just not anywhere near close to the level of Gomez, Shelvey and Lookman.

Overall, I am not saying not who is better out of Gomez, Shelvey and Lookman. They're too different and playing in different positions. All class at what they do and all have the ability to be a top player in their own right.
  • Options
    Gomez.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Jenkinson, Gomez, Lookman, Shelvey then in that case
    Yes, buts that's my opinion. The fact is they are all fine players and really it's like comparing apples and oranges, the four of them all have something different about their game.
    Shame we only got to see for a very short time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gomez comfortably.
  • Options
    Gomez.

And Poyet 2013-14.

Don't remember Jenkinson (I saw him a couple of times but he only played 8 games). Thought Shelvey was overrated. Remember Lookman making a huge impression in his first couple of games. Then came the corners and free kicks and went nowhere.
  • Options

Bowyer was a better player than Shelvy.

Gomez is better than Bowyer.

Gomez better than Bowyer ?

Got a fair way to go yet
  • Options
    1st Fox
    2nd Pope
    3rd Lennon
    4th Basey
  • Options

1st Fox
    2nd Pope
    3rd Lennon
    4th Basey

Harriott for me
  • Options

1st Fox
    2nd Pope
    3rd Lennon
    4th Basey

Harriott for me
    Maybe ahead of Basey... But then where do you put Joe Pigott and Zak Ansah?
  • Options
    Sounds like Lookman is brilliant apart from every time I have seen him play (which admittedly is not very often).

• Options
    A team of academy products currently still playing:

Randolph/Elliott

Solly/Jenkinson Gomez Konsa Fox/Holmes-Dennis

Cousins Poyet Shelvey Aribo

Lookman

Defoe Anyone?????

Oh what could have been......
  • Options

Good question

Gomez at No.1 for me. You could just see he had the raw skills and when they were honed and coupled with his short-distance pace, he was going to be special

Not on the list but only just behind him I would have said Poyet. The bloke in my opinion was absolute class, immaculate first touch and ability to keep shape and possession. I'm convinced he had as much to do with our turnaround that season as Riga. I cannot believe how he seems to have fallen away from his originally level.

Jenkinson it all happened quickly with, but I'd seen him playing youth / reserves centrally and he had impressed and you could see he was going to have a chance. I didn't expect him to move up the gears as quick as he did though.

Lookman had that very rare street style talent that is very rare to see in this country, normally because high level junior / academy football has over the last 30 years done its best to drill that out of individuals. Lookman skipped the system and it shows, and that's what gives him a uniqueness. Would have loved to have seen him playing in a striking two in a decent team for us

Shelvey similarly I think we never saw anywhere near the best of. After his initial impressive entry as a 16yr old playing as an orthodox centre mid, he never played there again for us, either pushed out left or playing behind a lone striker but largely facing his own goal. Never could understand that, and don't think he really impressed for us as a result even though you could see he had natural ability and vision

This, always thought he was wasted out wide. Should of played him through the middle he would have destroyed the CBs in this division.
  • Options

Good question

That bit