Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pitch inspection *GAME CALLED OFF*

Comments

• Options
    obviously not in the same level as us but my mate whos a ref called about 3 games off in the local vicinity off sat morning, vcd being the more established, as others mentioned its the area around the ground aswell.
  • Options

regarding the unit itself it would likely be a swimming pool type boiler, fitted these before and there around 7-10k a pop plus install charlton would be looking at a cost of about 15k if the pipework was run etc, admittedly not off the shelf but about a 7-10 day delivery. not much for a man thats sold anything of worth at this club.

So no good in the circumstances.

With the weather in this country rarely getting that cold
    The list of clients for that boiler supplier included Real Madrid. Can't believe they use that often.

• Options
    Addickted said:

regarding the unit itself it would likely be a swimming pool type boiler, fitted these before and there around 7-10k a pop plus install charlton would be looking at a cost of about 15k if the pipework was run etc, admittedly not off the shelf but about a 7-10 day delivery. not much for a man thats sold anything of worth at this club.

So no good in the circumstances.

With the weather in this country rarely getting that cold
    The list of clients for that boiler supplier included Real Madrid. Can't believe they use that often.

Ronaldo's personal sauna and jacuzzi
  • Options
    BDL said:

BDL said:

BDL said:

A decent operations manager would have looked at the forecast and spoken to his staff at the start of the week.

A decent operations manager would have taken steps to ensure that the pitch was covered and used all facilities open to him to get the game on, blowers, covers etc.

That happened at Ebbsfleet.

The person in charge at Charlton failed to take these steps, despite having all the pipe work in place as was so heralded 3 years ago; he had the option of hiring a boiler for about £1500 per day, say total cost of £10k to run. I'm sure @Airman Brown could work out the figures better than me but a small investment to get the game on would be less than money lost in rescheduling for a midweek game with a lower attendance.

This is all down to penny pinching. Well done Tony, you've cost your boss more money. You know how much Roland likes to take and not give. A stitch in time and all that?

Now that is fairer criticism, and pointing a finger in the right direction in terms of who to ask questions of.

TK may well could and should have done something more about it for the reasons you state.

Doesn't mean Roland told him not to hire one, and if your costs for boiler hire are correct it could have been done within the clubs ecisting budget without the need for Roland to dip into his own pockets again.
    Someone said to me that the club had all that time when we were in the Premier League to install undersoil heating etc, to be fair they could have but we did have the dome which was highly effective and cheaper, I think.

The thing is that from the Chief Executive down they used to be involved, checking and making sure that the game could go on. As I said in my earlier post, Proper football people who know how to run a football club.

So that might suggest the ground staff as presumably proper football people, don't know what they are doing? I'm sure I've read comments on here that the management team delegate and don't involve themselves in details they dont want to. We can't reasonanly argue that absolutely everything negative is a result of the inexperience of the ownership.

My point is that we used to have a management team that got involved, asked questions and generally managed things properly.

They would have asked the questions and ensured that the equipment was hired in or borrowed (as in the blotter, remember that?)

Now we have a CEO who swans in to the ground for a nice meal less than 3 hours before kick off and a Chief Operating Officer who may be competent in catering but hasn't a scooby about running a football club, delegating then shouting at people when things don't go as expected.
    What evidence is there of our COO being competent at catering?
  • Options

BDL said:

BDL said:

BDL said:

A decent operations manager would have looked at the forecast and spoken to his staff at the start of the week.

A decent operations manager would have taken steps to ensure that the pitch was covered and used all facilities open to him to get the game on, blowers, covers etc.

That happened at Ebbsfleet.

The person in charge at Charlton failed to take these steps, despite having all the pipe work in place as was so heralded 3 years ago; he had the option of hiring a boiler for about £1500 per day, say total cost of £10k to run. I'm sure @Airman Brown could work out the figures better than me but a small investment to get the game on would be less than money lost in rescheduling for a midweek game with a lower attendance.

This is all down to penny pinching. Well done Tony, you've cost your boss more money. You know how much Roland likes to take and not give. A stitch in time and all that?

Now that is fairer criticism, and pointing a finger in the right direction in terms of who to ask questions of.

TK may well could and should have done something more about it for the reasons you state.

Doesn't mean Roland told him not to hire one, and if your costs for boiler hire are correct it could have been done within the clubs ecisting budget without the need for Roland to dip into his own pockets again.
    Someone said to me that the club had all that time when we were in the Premier League to install undersoil heating etc, to be fair they could have but we did have the dome which was highly effective and cheaper, I think.

The thing is that from the Chief Executive down they used to be involved, checking and making sure that the game could go on. As I said in my earlier post, Proper football people who know how to run a football club.

So that might suggest the ground staff as presumably proper football people, don't know what they are doing? I'm sure I've read comments on here that the management team delegate and don't involve themselves in details they dont want to. We can't reasonanly argue that absolutely everything negative is a result of the inexperience of the ownership.

My point is that we used to have a management team that got involved, asked questions and generally managed things properly.

They would have asked the questions and ensured that the equipment was hired in or borrowed (as in the blotter, remember that?)

Now we have a CEO who swans in to the ground for a nice meal less than 3 hours before kick off and a Chief Operating Officer who may be competent in catering but hasn't a scooby about running a football club, delegating then shouting at people when things don't go as expected.
    What evidence is there of our COO being competent at catering?
    Didn't Delaware North come fourth in football ground 'hot dog of the year' competition about five years ago?

• Options

I remember travelling to port vale about 40 years ago only to be told the game was called off just as we were approaching the ground.

Annoying to say the least.

Very interesting on the way back though as i am sure some on here remember

If I remember we got off train about 150 of us, and did not believe the police it was off. An left the station, they got all upset and it kicked off a bit with the police, which was rare in them days. Then a police car came tearing up the road an ran a Charlton fan over. They proceeded to get out the car and attempt to arrest the bloke they just ran over. An incident ensued which left a police man flat out on the ground. Lots more turned up an we were forced onto a train for home.

On the re-arranged fixture on a Tuesday night, we took about 30 of us up there. It was absolutely chucking it down. We went in their end, where an altercation took place. Remembering the events at the station the police came in truncheons out and laid into us. Out of the 30 I think we had 16 arrested.

It that how you rembered it Blackpool ?
    Yep pretty much.
    Happy days
  • Options

I remember travelling to port vale about 40 years ago only to be told the game was called off just as we were approaching the ground.

Annoying to say the least.

Very interesting on the way back though as i am sure some on here remember

If I remember we got off train about 150 of us, and did not believe the police it was off. An left the station, they got all upset and it kicked off a bit with the police, which was rare in them days. Then a police car came tearing up the road an ran a Charlton fan over. They proceeded to get out the car and attempt to arrest the bloke they just ran over. An incident ensued which left a police man flat out on the ground. Lots more turned up an we were forced onto a train for home.

On the re-arranged fixture on a Tuesday night, we took about 30 of us up there. It was absolutely chucking it down. We went in their end, where an altercation took place. Remembering the events at the station the police came in truncheons out and laid into us. Out of the 30 I think we had 16 arrested.

It that how you rembered it Blackpool ?
    Yep pretty much.
    Happy days
    I still maintain my innocence
  • Options
    Blimey, proper away day that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The norm in the 70s to be fair
  • Options

Indeed.
  • Options

Not sure I'd have liked/survived football in the 70's.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Indeed.
    Indeed again.
  • Options

No internet, no phones. It was spontaneous, hilarious, shit scary......
  • Options
    Gillingham game off tonight currently 8 degrees and clear blue sky
    now that is a joke
  • Options

I would probably have been hospitalised n my first away day.
  • Options

I was, more than once.
  • Options

Gillingham game off tonight currently 8 degrees and clear blue sky
    now that is a joke

Surprising as the weather seems a bit warmer than at the weekend, maybe they're worried the pitch will freeze after the sun does down?
  • Options

I was, more than once.
    Me too ,it never put me off though: )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was, more than once.
    me neither. I know it's not very pc now but they were probably some of the best times of my life.
  • Options

I was, more than once.
    me neither. I know it's not very pc now but they were probably some of the best times of my life.
    The best i agree ,in defence of both of us we were very young and times were totally different.
    People of a certain age will understand, younger people possibly not
  • Options
    It was fantastic, we went all over the country with a minimum hardcore of about 40 at every game.

We collected train numbers, tied knots in the toggles of each other's anoraks, helped old ladies cross the road, oh the jolly japes we had, an many a good chuckle with our chums !

• Options
    I am of a certain age, and I understand.
  • Options

It was fantastic, we went all over the country with a minimum hardcore of about 40 at every game.

We collected train numbers, tied knots in the toggles of each other's anoraks, helped old ladies cross the road, oh the jolly japes we had, an many a good chuckle with our chums !

and sometimes we drank beer!
  • Options
    What i will say is this.
    The people i met back then are still the best friends i have now, although we have all turned 60 we still go to Charlton together home and away, out kids who are now in their 20's are friends and also follow Charlton.
    Several posters on here are people i met 45 years ago and I've even been on holiday with some of em,so basically without the silly 70s i wouldn't have the good mates that i have now
  • Options
    Going all day on beer, a microwaved pub pie, honeyroast nuts and chain smoking Kensitas.
  • Options

Other times we would play chase me with the locals. That was fun, they would chase us, an we would run away, then suddenly stop, and turn round an chase them. If we caught them, we would pinch them, and give them Chinese burns !

We once played this with a whole train load of Man United fans at Birmingham New Street (on way to Walsall), that was really fun, we pretended to run away, until lots of them were on our platform, then we chased them. Oh they ran so fast there was chaos, no one wants a pinch or Chinese burn .

I remember that day very well. Even got reported in the local Birmingham paper :smiley:
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Other times we would play chase me with the locals. That was fun, they would chase us, an we would run away, then suddenly stop, and turn round an chase them. If we caught them, we would pinch them, and give them Chinese burns !

We once played this with a whole train load of Man United fans at Birmingham New Street (on way to Walsall), that was really fun, we pretended to run away, until lots of them were on our platform, then we chased them. Oh they ran so fast there was chaos, no one wants a pinch or Chinese burn .

I remember that day very well. Even got reported in the local Birmingham paper :smiley:
    Yes, for weeks afterwards at away games the locals would say, we hear you ran Man Utd at Birmingham. We went viral ! (I'm up with the kids)