Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

President Trump

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2017
    limeygent said:

Repealing ACA is going to cost thousands of lives. Sorry if your bills went up a couple of hundred dollars - I'd have thought that's a price worth paying to help fellow citizens who are less fortunate.

This is just lefty bullshit.
    No, it's not.

45,000 ANNUAL deaths prior to the inception of Obamacare.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2009/09/new-study-finds-45000-deaths-annually-linked-to-lack-of-health-coverage/

That is one study. The numbers vary, but they are still in the tens of thousands
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Americans are not very nice people

Most of us probably aren't very nice right now because we have to deal with that motherfucker............
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    More people have lost their health insurance in the U.S. because of Obamacare than for any other legislation ever conceived. The insurance companies who originally participated had to raise their premiums for those with private insurance so high to cover their Obamacare losses that the private insurance became unaffordable. These same companies have mostly now opted out of Obamacare, or limited their policy options that the coverage offered is like having no coverage at all. Trump has said that there'll be affordable coverage for everybody in his new plan. Whatever his new plan is, it can't be worse than Obama's "If you like your plan you can keep your plan", and "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor". Obama's signature legislation is a COMPLETE failure.
    I must add that I run my own business here in the U.S., so I do have extensive first hand knowledge of health insurance issues faced by individuals here.
  • Options
    You have to admire him for one incredible feat he's accomplished already: losing the popular vote so badly, yet still getting the big gig.
  • Options
    You're ignoring the main point SD, having Obamacare is no better than having no health insurance at all, for most people.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

SDAddick said:

He'll probably be a good president but will get no credit because the left keep bloody whinging.

Want to trade healthcare plans with me? How about you @buckshee? Or the access to healthcare that so many women depend on through Planned Parenthood? Want to have your rights to equality and protection taken away like it will be from my friends who are gay? Want to register yourself for a national registry because of your religion, despite the fact that religion has almost no effect on violence in the US? Want to be slightly afraid because you're Jewish, and the chief strategist in the White House is an anti-semite, and neo-Nazis and the KKK openly supported Trump and view his victory as a victory for their cause?

If you'd like to list out some of his policies and appointments you support, I'd be happy to discuss those with you.
    It's not Planned Parenthood that conservatives want to quit funding, it's the public funding of abortions, and you know as well as I do, that Trump doesn't want a registry of people because of their religion, he only wants to keep tabs on illegal aliens, especially when they are from countries that are unstable. As far as neo-nazis and KKK supporting im, how does he have any control over that? It doesn't mean he supports them. You admit to being a Marxist, so you will never accept anybody right of center, and you will do your best to discredit Trump no matter how well he does, I suggest you open your mind, and like everybody has to, watch and see what he does.
    Well I suppose he does have control if the KKK and Neo Nazis support him because they align themselves with his policies and rhetoric. If he actually said that all KKK and Neo Nazis were weird Neanderthal throwbacks then I doubt their endorsement would have been so free flowing.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has he been assassinated yet?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Not at all, and calm down please. Personal experience....last year I got some metal in my eye and had to go to the hospital. By the time I was done the bill was $1400.00. My deductible was $250.00 (private insurance) If I had Obamacare I'd have had to pay the entire 1400, as my deductible would be around 6000.00. That's on top of having to pay my monthly premium. So tell me, under Obamacare, how much insurance would I have had? You're also starting to get insulting, which is typical left when you don't have a good argument, you're better than that.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

limeygent said:

You're ignoring the main point SD, having Obamacare is no better than having no health insurance at all, for most people.

CITE YOUR SOURCES!!! That's completely untrue. For 22 million of us it's much better because we have health insurance. And Obamacare is not a unified entity, it is the offerings of private insurance by private insurers in a marketplace setting (Capitalism FTW!) in which people can shop for the best insurance plans (the healthcare exchanges).

It is better for people with pre-existing conditions. It is better for children who can stay on their parents' health insurance until 26. It is better for people with mental health conditions who are guaranteed coverage as part of their insurance. Ditto women's health. These are all things that are popular!
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/upshot/why-keeping-only-the-popular-parts-of-obamacare-wont-work.html

I do healthcare IT and policy for a living. My mother is a physician. My father does consulting for hospitals that are bankrupt or in danger of going bankrupt because their patients don't have insurance--safety net hospitals. I have many, many problems with Obamacare but we can't discuss it because you just spout conservative media talking points and don't cite sources.

You're missing the point that you don't know what you're talking about.
    Meanwhile, back in SE7.................
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Not at all, and calm down please. Personal experience....last year I got some metal in my eye and had to go to the hospital. By the time I was done the bill was $1400.00. My deductible was $250.00 (private insurance) If I had Obamacare I'd have had to pay the entire 1400, as my deductible would be around 6000.00. That's on top of having to pay my monthly premium. So tell me, under Obamacare, how much insurance would I have had? You're also starting to get insulting, which is typical left when you don't have a good argument, you're better than that.

You're an employer aren't you? Private insurance ain't no thing. You have the means.

Could your employees afford the same private insurance as you?
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Leuth said:

limeygent said:

You're an employer aren't you? Private insurance ain't no thing. You have the means.

Could your employees afford the same private insurance as you?
    No they couldn't, not any more, I would have to subsidize their insurance. In the past employers often paid the whole thing, very few do any more as it's become so expensive.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2016/07/28/overwhelming-evidence-that-obamacare-caused-premiums-to-increase-substantially/#4658461546e3
  • Options
    Obamacare saved the insurance industry. Before Obamacare the number of insured Americans was falling. That obviously meant fewer people had health cover, which led to more using ER as their doctor as it was the only free emergency healthcare they had access to. This in tern meant costs when up for hospitals (ER is literally the most expensive way to treat minor illness and injury) so led to higher insurance premiums.

If this had continued then there would be fewer and fewer insured, higher and higher ER patients and costs, and therefore higher and higher premiums, leading to fewer being able to afford insurance.

By enabling 20 million more to get insurance, Obamacare saved this terrible terrible system from devouring itself. The fact that since Obamacare came in insurance companies have made record profits show that it saved their flawed business model.

Unless Obamacare is replaced with something as good at getting more people covered, then the insurance industry will fall back into the same patterns and eventually self destruct.

The American attitude to healthcare in too many cases is very self destructive, it can be overly simplified as "I'd rather pay too much for my health insurance than risk someone else getting it cheap or free"
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Again, Obamacare is not one unified thing, the plans vary greatly and they are all private insurance plans. If you had a plan with a $6,000 deductible then yes that's what you would have had to pay, but I may have had to pay $1,500 because that is my deductible. That is on top of my Premiums as well.

I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure that you know what Obamacare, or the Affordable Care Act (ACA), is.

How do you purchase your insurance? And how would you go about purchasing "Obamacare" in your mind? As an employer you definitely will feel the cost of rising premiums, I certainly empathize with you on that, but I'm still not sure how your previous story illustrates your point.

Obamacare created a series of "Exchanges" where people, like myself, can purchase health insurance. There are certain guarantees around pricing maximums or being able to restrict giving plans to people with pre-existing conditions. It creates a penalty for those who don't sign up for insurance (which is dumb but has fiscal reasons). This meant that it forced people to buy private insurance, which I think is silly and that we should just have public insurance, at least as an option, but ho hum here we are and private insurers are thriving (as are drug companies).

The ACA also put a cap on the profit insurance companies can make from healthcare (12-15%), but there are work-arounds (I used to work for a company that got bought by Humana who found a lot of these). There are things that really worked, which I've outlined before.

Behind the scenes, there has been a lot of rework surrounding reimbursement for medicare, which is huge. There is a shift from a quantity of care model to a quality of care model. This, beyond anything else, is what could be the best and most lasting legacy of the ACA--it finally shifts the US from quantity of care reimbursement to quality of care reimbursement. A lot of this is being done through technology and trying to get doctors and hospitals to upgrade to electronic medical records, something the NHS has struggled with for many years now.
  • Options

I wish him all the very best .. let's see what he's done in four years time .. he's in office, that's a fact, the USA is our biggest friend and ally, Britain has to get along with him

This
    Whether we like it or not America is our closest Ally .
    If they prosper we prosper
    If they go tits up well
    I know you don't like it, but Europe is our closest ally, just because they speak the same language does not mean they want or need the same as us. The USA looks after the USA.
    And the EU looks after Germany and France
    Obviously claptrap, but you keep telling yourself that. Glad you didn't deny the USA looks after itself though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Brunello said:

Like Brexit or the next Charlton manager let's judge him on performance not on pre-conceived opinion which is often wrong.

He got elected on a number of promises, some of which he went back on virtually immediately ( like Brexit ) so we do already know he IS a liar. We heard evidence from his own mouth that he is a mysoginist, sexist and prejudiced. I said he's a Xenophobe, maybe that IS open to interpretation. The rest is fact.
    Of course he's a liar, that's why he's become a politician.

Still amazes me how anyone can still honestly believe that ANY politician isn't in it for for anything other than filling their ego and their pocket.
    Don't think I can remember anyone being so blatant about it though Gaz? And even our inglorious PM isn't sexist or misogynist...
  • Options
    Chizz, why do you copy tweets from Mark@Chislehurst ? Who is he, why are we copied in on his tweets ?
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Well I know who I believe...
  • Options
    edited January 2017

I agree he is fair game but will this thread surpass our famous Brexit and Labour blah ones?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

He'll probably be a good president but will get no credit because the left keep bloody whinging.

Want to trade healthcare plans with me? How about you @buckshee? Or the access to healthcare that so many women depend on through Planned Parenthood? Want to have your rights to equality and protection taken away like it will be from my friends who are gay? Want to register yourself for a national registry because of your religion, despite the fact that religion has almost no effect on violence in the US? Want to be slightly afraid because you're Jewish, and the chief strategist in the White House is an anti-semite, and neo-Nazis and the KKK openly supported Trump and view his victory as a victory for their cause?

If you'd like to list out some of his policies and appointments you support, I'd be happy to discuss those with you.
    What are the basis of some of these comments, other than just repeating the usual old lefty claptrap?

Where has Trump ever spoken out against the gay community? What control does Trump have over who supports him?

If ISIS annouced that they thought I was a great bloke, does that I mean I support ISIS?

I cannot comment on Obamacare - don't know enough about it.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

What are the basis of some of these comments, other than just repeating the usual old lefty claptrap?

Where has Trump ever spoken out against the gay community? What control does Trump have over who supports him?

If ISIS annouced that they thought I was a great bloke, does that I mean I support ISIS?

I cannot comment on Obamacare - don't know enough about it.
    These aren't "lefty lines," this is my reality. And that of my friends. And if you don't understand this, then you don't understand what he stands for.