Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shares Thread for the next Gordon Gekko's

Comments

• Options
    Yeh Tesla has gone crazy the last year, seems like a no brainer investment looking back now… and a relatively low risk one given they were already very well established - hindsight eh!! well done. But can it really keep going?! Value is so high now
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    my $10k investment in Tesla now worth $206k.....sales are rocketing and even at $1,180 a share I think there is still a lot of upside. New factories opening in Berlin, Austin and India. Will dominate EV sales in near future and then will squeeze the other competitors with their technology and will lower their profit margin and eventually blow them away.  
    That's one heck of a profit there mate.
    Congratulations. 
    One hell of a tax bill as well when he sells them  ;)
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    my $10k investment in Tesla now worth $206k.....sales are rocketing and even at $1,180 a share I think there is still a lot of upside. New factories opening in Berlin, Austin and India. Will dominate EV sales in near future and then will squeeze the other competitors with their technology and will lower their profit margin and eventually blow them away.  
    Congratulations. 
    Not if he bought it through an ISA…
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Congratulations. 
    Not if he bought it through an ISA…
    Agreed but he never said.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I'd have bailed out at $15k.

Well done, can you lend me a fiver?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Well done - What time period is that profit from 

5/4/18 bought 175 shares at $57.63 a share
  • Options
    only $201k.....its dropping today lol !!
  • Options
    It's in my 401k (pension) so no capitol gains
  • Options
    The thing that made me do it was after I test drove a Model S and was blown away
  • Options
    If anyone has tips for boring shares that produce a regular decent dividend I'd be interested. No tobacco or polluters though, thanks.

Based on tips from a mate, I've already bought into Schroders, Jupiter, and Citibank.. They currently deliver 3-4% pa, which would be OK. He gets 8% from his tobacco stocks but they're not for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    $COIN is good for a couple of months or so I reckon, Bitcoin’s hitting all time highs and will peak later in December. Will push their profits up and the share price I reckon. A good way to have indirect exposure to crypto. 
  • Options
    If anyone has tips for boring shares that produce a regular decent dividend I'd be interested. No tobacco or polluters though, thanks.

Based on tips from a mate, I've already bought into Schroders, Jupiter, and Citibank.. They currently deliver 3-4% pa, which would be OK. He gets 8% from his tobacco stocks but they're not for me.
    https://www.investopedia.com/best-dividend-stocks-4774650

Quick google, but don’t know how consistent they are. 
  • Options

UK listed one's

Direct Line Group
    Glaxo
    Rio Tinto (might not be your bag)
    BAT (but not for you)
    M&G

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Legal and General, dividend about 6%

Glaxo dividen cut is on the way next year. I have a few and will hold, but expect the yield to fall
  • Options

Primary Health Properties plc is a boring REIT. They have an unbroken 25-year history of dividend growth and currently yield around 4%. I've held them for years.  Very uninteresting.  Broadly they buy and build doctors' surgeries and rent them out to GP practices. Simples.
  • Options
    Kept an eye on Prosus (PRX), looks a good buy at this level? Looks like it’s bottomed out. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

UK listed one's

Direct Line Group
    Glaxo
    Rio Tinto (might not be your bag)
    BAT (but not for you)
    M&G

One of my favourite and most successful shares over the years.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    ct_addick said:

Great investment - well done.

I'm not totally convinced about your last comment though. My experience of Teslas (Model S) is patchy to say the least and I genuinely do not rate them very highly. When Toyota, Honda, the VW Group, Mercedes and BMW ramp it up I can see Tesla sales dipping significantly. Ford, GM et al will squeeze them from the other end. The value is in their battery technology and charging infrastructure and that's where I see their future growth, selling/licensing that technology to the likes I've listed above. But that would be a greatly scaled down business, although it might actually be profitable!

I could be totally wrong of course - wouldn't be a first!
  • Options
    I've just taken a punt on EQTEC at 1.35p each...renewable energy by using waste...seem cheap and with COP26 and a general move towards renewables, green shares, etc.  Might be worth a gamble?
  • Options
    Can anyone explain in relatively basic terms how tax works on buying/selling shares?

Do you just pay CGT on the profit? If so, how do you go about paying it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Can anyone explain in relatively basic terms how tax works on buying/selling shares?

Not an expert by any means but have an understanding; you have a CGT allowance of £12.3k for fiscal year 20-21, so can make profits up to that amount before any tax liability, if you exceed this limit on shares sold you should declare it via your (if you do one) annual tax return, if your shares are held in an ISA then that’s tax free.

I am sure others on this thread have a greater, more detailed understanding. 

• Options
    cafctom said:

Here's the Gov.UK site - unusually for a Government site it is written in a quite straightforward way.

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax

• Options
    BT shares up today, 1/2 year report not as good as 2020, net debt increased,  earnings per share down near on 50% but they have declared a dividend. Adam Crozier been recruited I suspect to charm institutional holders, spread a few city rumours about breaking up BT group to drive share price upwards, a dream job for him and no doubt a decent bonus package on SP increase, others in BTG can worry about operational efficiencies.  I have bought some more today in my SIPP, current SP ridiculously low in my opinion, it’s all about city sentiment. 
  • Options
    Interest rates decision today?

Heard a rumour we might get 3 of them next year.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

If you set up a stocks and shares isa you’re protected from CGT in that isa - as long as what you put in doesn’t exceed your limit for the year. Same with SIPP I think. If you sell your shares outside of those then it becomes a taxable event, and might have to declare it iirc. 
  • Options
    Interest rates decision today?

Heard a rumour we might get 3 of them next year.
    Unchanged at 0.1%
  • Options
    What does "Heard a rumour we might get 3 of them next year" mean?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Interest rate rises.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Interest rate rises.

• Options
    Finally in profit on Metro bank  :)