Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comedians that are just not funny

123468

Comments

  • Still on every day here, Patricia Routledge, canned laughter and all.
  • Sharpi Khorsandi. Her material and delivery are both poor.
  • limeygent said:

    Still on every day here, Patricia Routledge, canned laughter and all.

    I remember speaking to an American taxi driver who loved Keeping Up Appearances

    What amused me was that he had absolutely no idea it was about the class system. Why would he, but it's the central premise of the show!
  • Several of those old comedies leave me cold,

    Last of the Summer Wine
    Waiting for God
    Open all Hours
    The Cafe

    Believe I've retained my "British sense of humour", frequently told I have, but some of these shows don't even raise a smile.

  • Sharpi Khorsandi. Her material and delivery are both poor.

    She was on Pointless this week. A complete div.
  • Uboat said:

    Reading some of these, I do wonder whether the approach some of you have to watching a stand up comedian is to stand with your arms folded and say "Go on then mate, make me laugh. I bet you can't."
    Pretty much all stand ups are better if you enter into it ready to laugh. If you've decided beforehand that you won't like it, the chances are, you won't like it.

    There will always be some comedians you won't like (or whose style or material you don't like), but the trick is to try to get past your previous experience because their new stuff might be better. Also, no comedian is flawlessly funny. They all have off days and jokes that just don't work. That doesn't make them shit, but if you saw a bad show, they may be better next time.

    I'm as guilty as everyone else, by the way. I can't watch Chris Ramsey or Michael McIntyre because their fucking stupid faces annoy me too much. That doesn't mean they're rubbish. Loads of people go to see them live and they keep getting more gigs and tv shows - they must be funny to some people.

    Anyway, I think the thread title isn't quite right. I don't think any successful stand up comedian can be arbitrarily labelled as "just not funny". "I don't find them funny and I refuse to give them a chance" is more appropriate and my nominations are the aforementioned Ramsey and McIntyre.

    Just saw this post and I couldn't agree more.
    Might be right, or the longest apology for Miranda anyone will ever bother writing.
  • Michael Macintyre is not just unfunny, so much as a walking offense to entertainment.
    Russel Brand obviously
    Lee Evans - Norman Wisdom's act was thin enough, adding amphetamines only adds irritation
  • limeygent said:

    Several of those old comedies leave me cold,

    Last of the Summer Wine
    Waiting for God
    Open all Hours
    The Cafe

    Believe I've retained my "British sense of humour", frequently told I have, but some of these shows don't even raise a smile.

    I could not agree with you more.
  • rikofold said:

    Uboat said:

    Reading some of these, I do wonder whether the approach some of you have to watching a stand up comedian is to stand with your arms folded and say "Go on then mate, make me laugh. I bet you can't."
    Pretty much all stand ups are better if you enter into it ready to laugh. If you've decided beforehand that you won't like it, the chances are, you won't like it.

    There will always be some comedians you won't like (or whose style or material you don't like), but the trick is to try to get past your previous experience because their new stuff might be better. Also, no comedian is flawlessly funny. They all have off days and jokes that just don't work. That doesn't make them shit, but if you saw a bad show, they may be better next time.

    I'm as guilty as everyone else, by the way. I can't watch Chris Ramsey or Michael McIntyre because their fucking stupid faces annoy me too much. That doesn't mean they're rubbish. Loads of people go to see them live and they keep getting more gigs and tv shows - they must be funny to some people.

    Anyway, I think the thread title isn't quite right. I don't think any successful stand up comedian can be arbitrarily labelled as "just not funny". "I don't find them funny and I refuse to give them a chance" is more appropriate and my nominations are the aforementioned Ramsey and McIntyre.

    Just saw this post and I couldn't agree more.
    Might be right, or the longest apology for Miranda anyone will ever bother writing.
    Never seen it. Heard it's shit from many people and that it's good from 2 people.
  • Sponsored links:


  • Reeves and Mortimer.....maybe I just dont get it? Not sure if they are classified stand ups, but unfunny nonetheless, however I didnt think the young ones were funny either, either collectively or alone...sense of humour faliure? maybe!
  • edited January 2017
    limeygent said:

    Several of those old comedies leave me cold,

    Last of the Summer Wine
    Waiting for God
    Open all Hours
    The Cafe

    Believe I've retained my "British sense of humour", frequently told I have, but some of these shows don't even raise a smile.

    Open all Hours......really!
    Long running, highly successful, huge viewing figures and with two of the greatest comedy actors the country has ever produced.
    How you can compare it to the other three is, to say the least, very curious.....it's in a different league.
  • Curious? Comedy is personal taste isn't it? Not funny in my view.
  • I am not a fan of most female comics, although Ruby Wax does make me laugh and I saw Jo Caulfield at the Comedy Store and she was excellent.

    I echo a lot of the other nominees on here. Some are just cringey.

    But to add balance, Jim Jefferies is with out doubt the funniest guys Ive seen, not for some of the faint hearted amongst us, but brilliant.
    Also Eddie Izzard is excellent in my opinion, intelligent, clever and worth seeing live.
    Jack Dee and Lee Evans were blinding when I saw them a good few years ago too.
    One of the funniest jokes I have heard, ever, is from the much lambasted (on here) Jim Davidson.
  • Easier to list those that are funny,I think. Jimeoin,Tim Vine just for the excruciating puns,Lee Mack,the late and much-missed John Pinette.
    Oh,the list is endless.....
  • There's a presenter on Radio X whose humour is so inane it drives me mental. I've just seen him on Mock the Week, his name is John Robins. His girlfriend is Sara Pascoe who is equally unfunny.
  • limeygent said:

    Several of those old comedies leave me cold,

    Last of the Summer Wine
    Waiting for God
    Open all Hours
    The Cafe

    Believe I've retained my "British sense of humour", frequently told I have, but some of these shows don't even raise a smile.

    Open all Hours......really!
    Long running, highly successful, huge viewing figures and with two of the greatest comedy actors the country has ever produced.
    How you can compare it to the other three is, to say the least, very curious.....it's in a different league.
    In comparison to Ronnie Barker's best (Porridge) or David Jason's Best (OFAH), then I'd agree that Open All Hours is not that funny. In comparison to the other shows mentioned by Limeygent, then I'd say it's an absolute hoot.
  • Ronnie Barker never did anything as good after Porridge. But then nobody else has either.
  • OK then, I'll try watching "Open All Hours" right through next time I see it's on, but the first "by gum" (whatever that means) I hear, it's off.
  • edited January 2017

    Ronnie Barker never did anything as good after Porridge. But then nobody else has either.

    Fork Handles!
  • Sponsored links:


  • Dont think John Bishop is very funny either...dont understand why he is on the TV so much.
  • I don't find him funny either but quite a few must do. I didn't watch it past 5 minutes after the New Year fireworks, but Miranda Hart clearly filled the O2. You can't really argue with that even if you don't find her funny!
  • Count Arthur Strong. Totally unfunny.

    (I think I spelled his title correctly).
  • There's a presenter on Radio X whose humour is so inane it drives me mental. I've just seen him on Mock the Week, his name is John Robins. His girlfriend is Sara Pascoe who is equally unfunny.

    Strange, I find Sara Pascoe funny, but she struggles sometimes. Her boyfriend is another unfunny comedian.

    Katherine Ryan on the other hand... is as sharp as a pin.
  • There's a presenter on Radio X whose humour is so inane it drives me mental. I've just seen him on Mock the Week, his name is John Robins. His girlfriend is Sara Pascoe who is equally unfunny.

    I hadn't realised they'd recently split up. Indeed they appeared on MTW together as the first ever couple on that show.

    The curse of Mock the Week..., awkwardly that episode was repeated this week!
  • Count Arthur Strong. Totally unfunny.

    (I think I spelled his title correctly).

    Thought he was great on the radio. It certainly didn't translate to tv though.
  • There's a presenter on Radio X whose humour is so inane it drives me mental. I've just seen him on Mock the Week, his name is John Robins. His girlfriend is Sara Pascoe who is equally unfunny.

    Ha! I absolutely love that bloke. His podcast has me laughing out loud in public.
    Humour is a strange thing.
  • There's a presenter on Radio X whose humour is so inane it drives me mental. I've just seen him on Mock the Week, his name is John Robins. His girlfriend is Sara Pascoe who is equally unfunny.

    I hadn't realised they'd recently split up. Indeed they appeared on MTW together as the first ever couple on that show.

    The curse of Mock the Week..., awkwardly that episode was repeated this week!
    out of my way, I saw her first!
  • They were due to do a show together on Thursday. I assume it didn't happen. I saw him live on Wednesday night and he seemed on good form, though a lot of his routine is about her, so that's awkward.
  • Greenie said:

    I am not a fan of most female comics, although Ruby Wax does make me laugh and I saw Jo Caulfield at the Comedy Store and she was excellent.

    I echo a lot of the other nominees on here. Some are just cringey.

    But to add balance, Jim Jefferies is with out doubt the funniest guys Ive seen, not for some of the faint hearted amongst us, but brilliant.
    Also Eddie Izzard is excellent in my opinion, intelligent, clever and worth seeing live.
    Jack Dee and Lee Evans were blinding when I saw them a good few years ago too.
    One of the funniest jokes I have heard, ever, is from the much lambasted (on here) Jim Davidson.

    I went to see a recording of HIGNFY a couple of years ago and Jo Caulfield did the warm up. I have to say, she was excellent, it was very off the cuff and involved a lot of audience interaction.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!