Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gig spy

Comments

• Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Just booked tickets for The Selecter in Brighton, Friday 29th July. Staying the night then going to The Jam exhibition (This is The Modern World) on Saturday morning.
    Not gig related, apart from the many he describes going to, but I’ve just read Ian Stone’s book “To be someone”. Great read for any Jam or music fans who grew up around that time.
    Just read the synopsis, sounds good.

• Options
    From Numan last week
  • Options
    Lohengrin - Royal Opera House Covent Garden 
  • Options
    Saw Fairport Convention in Nantwich last night. I've been a massive life-long fan and my wife sat through it for over two hours just to humour me (not her cup of tea) - bless her.

Just a small venue - maybe 200-250 and they were absolutely sensational. Musicianship really doesn't come much better than that. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Saw Fairport Convention in Nantwich last night. I've been a massive life-long fan and my wife sat through it for over two hours just to humour me (not her cup of tea) - bless her.

Just a small venue - maybe 200-250 and they were absolutely sensational. Musicianship really doesn't come much better than that. 
    My wife's endured a few nights like that in the past. She's not really into live music or most of the acts I'm into. She came with me to see Roy Ayers at Ronnie Scotts a few years ago and we had a table at the front. I looked over at her halfway through the set and she had her head back, mouth open, fast asleep.

To be fair it was fairly warm in there and we'd had a few drinks.

• Options
    We're seeing Alan Partridge (comedy not music obvs) at the O2 Wednesday 1st June.
    Anyone else going?
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing Queen at the o2 in a couple of weeks. My daughter's first proper concert (she's a big Queen fan), which was initially scheduled for 2020 then postponed twice.
  • Options
    We're seeing Alan Partridge (comedy not music obvs) at the O2 Wednesday 1st June.
    Anyone else going?
    Noticed that he cancelled Bournemouth show a few days ago as he has laryngitis. Hope he’s recovered it time for you 👍🏻
  • Options
    Whitesnake, Foreigner and Europe

Europe with an entirely familiar lineup were brilliant, fine mix of material from all their career, everybody on decent form and noisy crowd enjoyment.

Foreigner, with Mick Jones only for the encore, some members who've worked for MJ for quite a long time, some very recent recruits but nobody who recorded any of their primary output.  Long serving vocalist Kelly Hansen is a fine performer who gives Lou Gramm's old hit songs a thoroughly respectful performance and the band of hired hands all recite their parts faultlessly, sky high production values, the whole 9 yards but the Foreigner set lacked that final 1%, the magic or je ne sais quoi.  Undoubtedly more than a tribute show but somehow not quite the full shilling.

Whitesnake.  Oh dear, oh deary deary dear.  I'd seen Coverdale and his hired minstrels trading as "Whitesnake" at a festival some years back and was disappointed to hear how little voice he had left, he did manage to sing around the more taxing material ably enough and while a shadow of his former prowess, he didn't disgrace himself.  This time it was humiliatingly bad, no power, no pitch and barely the fitness to get around the stage.  We gave it 4 songs, to see if it might be a monitor issue but when song 5 brought more atonal utterings, we bailed.  He should be paying the whole crew fortunes, cos they must know it's awful, it's Coverdale's show and by a distance  he's the least able to perform anything.  Sad.  
    I'm doubly grateful we picked up the tickets gratis from a mate who couldn't make it.  You dodged a bullet Scot.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    We have 2 somewhat contrasting gigs on successive days next month; Ed Sheeran then the Stones, staying up town on the Friday then a picnic (weather permitting) the next day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm seeing The Killers on Friday after being postponed twice. I've moved to Southampton since buying the tickets in 2019 so having to travel up to London when could have seen them tonight locally and walked home afterwards! 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Saw Thunder at Wembley on Saturday.  I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen them.  I say this every time, but in my opinion, they are the most under rated live band in the world.  I think they should've been huge 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    I'm seeing The Killers on Friday after being postponed twice. I've moved to Southampton since buying the tickets in 2019 so having to travel up to London when could have seen them tonight locally and walked home afterwards! 
    I'm seeing them Saturday.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Saw Thunder at Wembley on Saturday.  I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen them.  I say this every time, but in my opinion, they are the most under rated live band in the world.  I think they should've been huge 
    My eldest son saw them as well on Saturday.
    He's still not home, staying at a mate's apparently.

Edit - just got in 15.45 Monday.
  • Options
    Thunder would be an excellent band if only they would cut out all that “lets see you hands in the air” etc. FFS just get on with your music!
  • Options
    Am going Killers on Saturday. Apparently the seating is all unreserved which I didn't expect.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Thunder would be an excellent band if only they would cut out all that “lets see you hands in the air” etc. FFS just get on with your music!
    All about opinions I guess.  I prefer bands that interact with the crowd at a live show & Thunder are the best at it
  • Options
    Am going Killers on Saturday. Apparently the seating is all unreserved which I didn't expect.
    My ticket says standing and Lower Unreserved Seating.
  • Options
    My ticket says standing and Lower Unreserved Seating.
    This is what I have. There was reserved seating but it was too expensive for me and I like to be able to jump about! 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Amazing night last night at The Killers show, if you're going tonight you'll have a great time. They got a young guy out the crowd to play drums on one song and he was brilliant. He'll be buzzing about it for days I should think.

Sam Fender as support was good. 

As is usual at these things expect massive queues for a drink, limited choice and very expensive. There were some drink stations pitchside which weren't advertised and were quicker to get served at. Getting on the tube after was a nightmare too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wilma said:
    Amazing night last night at The Killers show, if you're going tonight you'll have a great time. They got a young guy out the crowd to play drums on one song and he was brilliant. He'll be buzzing about it for days I should think.

As is usual at these things expect massive queues for a drink, limited choice and very expensive. There were some drink stations pitchside which weren't advertised and were quicker to get served at. Getting on the tube after was a nightmare too. 
    I went last night, did the bloke who they picked have glasses 🤓?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I saw Ian Noe at Lafayette near Kings Cross on Wednesday. I hadn’t realised the area had come up so much. A decent gig. Stepping up a gear to see The National in Cork tomorrow night. That will be special.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

I went last night, did the bloke who they picked have glasses 🤓?
    No 
  • Options
    Anyone else going?

I went on Friday night
  • Options
    Saw Liam Gallagher at Knebworth on Friday. 26 years after my wife and I were at the Oasis gigs as 16 year olds and this time our 13 yr old son attended his first gig so quite poignant. 

Basically everyone was there to hear the Oasis stuff…. Felt a bit awkward when he played his stuff and it all went quiet in the crowd for a bit.

Enjoyed the day. Kasabian were superb and a highlight of the event for me.

Main issues were sound (shouldn’t be able to have a clear convo with the person next to you at a live gig IMO).

And also all the fucking idiots who used to be at Oasis gigs must have been cryogenically frozen and then thawed on Friday morning. Every fucking time.

This time a load of piss heads decided to walk home down the A1 afterwards. Closing it and meaning we didn’t get out the car park until 3am.
  • Options
    Went Liam Gallagher Friday and Killers last night. I am in bits now
  • Options
    Just seen The National in Cork. I need to sober up to decide whether they get into my lifetime top five gigs but they have a very good chance.
  • Options
    Alice Cooper,  Glasgow 28th May. Out bleeding standing as always.
  • Options
    The Killers and Sam Fender were both brilliant. Emirates is a great venue to watch a gig. Beer access was far too easy and paid for it on Sunday...
  • Options
    Saw yeah yeah yeahs lastnight, Mrs pick but I quite enjoyed it. Nice going out and not feeling like a OAP too lol