Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Child abuse within football (Charlton mentioned pg 4)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2016
  • Options
    Some are asking why don't people talk out about this.
    Don't forget I think it was the 80s a lady if you can call her that started a dedicated phone line for this sort of thing.
    This lady has an idea about saville why didn't she invesinvestigate it more
  • Options
    My dad used to work for the police team who dealt with this sort of thing -
    Supposedly there was always constant accusations against youth coaches at Charlton ... I guess nothing ever came of it!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Given the magnitude and how serious this issue is, I truly hope the management treat it with more respect than they have their 3 year stewardship of the club.

I make this post not to point score, or undermine the severity of the issue at hand, just pointing out that they better not mishandle it
    I'd be lying if I said that I believe that those running the club will be truthful about any of this.

I can't help but think that KM will embarrass herself and the club in very bad way over this.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Given the magnitude and how serious this issue is, I truly hope the management treat it with more respect than they have their 3 year stewardship of the club.

I make this post not to point score, or undermine the severity of the issue at hand, just pointing out that they better not mishandle it
    I'd be lying if I said that I believe that those running the club will be truthful about any of this.

I can't help but think that KM will embarrass herself and the club in very bad way over this.
    Agreed
  • Options
    No matter who is in charge at the club or who the owner is now or how much I or anyone else hates them, I hope they do what is right and i'm sure they will.
  • Options
    Yes different company.

"Internal investigation"

If none of the same staff are present at the club, then surely the names of the people that worked at the club at the time of when the abuse took place, will just be down to the police to enquire.

The club has been in recent contact with Lennie Lawrence. Wasn't it about a potential DOF role? I suppose they could ask if he simply had any suspicion or any reason to possibly believe that Heath may have been abusing young footballers at Charlton during the time period he was at the club and alive.

The club can internally investigate but I assume the particular investigation can only go so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cabbles said:

Oh FFS. Give it a rest. It is something that is being investigated which happened in the 80s, Just give your obsessions a break for 2 minutes and take into consideration the serverity of this matter and how distressing this must have been and still is to the victims.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Surely it's not the time or place to have a go at the regime.

because of the severity and sensitivity it's exactly why I worry. My original post stated it wasn't to point score. Simply that I hope they don't f*** it up. Based on their past incompetencies I don't want that to affect the investigation deterimentaly
  • Options
    The term internal investigation is pretty unspecific. I suspect that the reality is that the club will be checking to see what information they hold that dates back to the 1980s, and will be contacting all employees and directors that they can to ask if they have any information that relates to the allegations in question.

All the clubs with a connection to sexual abuse allegations seem to be holding internal investigations - wouldn't be surprised if the FA have advised this. It firstly sends a signal that it's being taken seriously, secondly gives the press something to write about and thirdly is collating information they will need to provide any formal investigation anyway.

I can't see any reason why the club will do anything less than cooperate and be open about this. I'm no fan of the regime by any means but they would have nothing to gain by covering up anything or making things difficult - not least because it happened long before their ownership of the club. And to be completely fair, whilst I'm sure Katrien may be crap at managing the club, I'm sure she shares the same disgust as we do about his whole issue so I would expect her to do what she can to make this as thorough as is possible.

• Options
    Cabbles if the club do mess up and posters on here start to have a dig on this particular subject I'd be amazed
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Cabbles if the club do mess up and posters on here start to have a dig on this particular subject I'd be amazed

I don't think posters would have a dig nor use it as a regime dig, just based on everything that has gone on under their ownership, I wouldn't want this to be another ball dropped etc. Rambler has succinctly summed up and I'm sure it will be okay, and we can do our bit to route out any wrongdoing if that is the case
  • Options
    edited December 2016

The term internal investigation is pretty unspecific. I suspect that the reality is that the club will be checking to see what information they hold that dates back to the 1980s, and will be contacting all employees and directors that they can to ask if they have any information that relates to the allegations in question.

All the clubs with a connection to sexual abuse allegations seem to be holding internal investigations - wouldn't be surprised if the FA have advised this. It firstly sends a signal that it's being taken seriously, secondly gives the press something to write about and thirdly is collating information they will need to provide any formal investigation anyway.

I can't see any reason why the club will do anything less than cooperate and be open about this. I'm no fan of the regime by any means but they would have nothing to gain by covering up anything or making things difficult - not least because it happened long before their ownership of the club. And to be completely fair, whilst I'm sure Katrien may be crap at managing the club, I'm sure she shares the same disgust as we do about his whole issue so I would expect her to do what she can to make this as thorough as is possible.

Directors - This is the Hulyer administration, and probably the last year of Gliksten. Former director Richard Collins is about the only person likely to be available from back then. Doubt if he was ever involved with the youth set-up.

Staff - No current staff at all from that era. Lennie would be the only link. Even Keith Peacock wasn't there. Steve Gritt was there as a player, I suppose.

The club has no records pre-1985, even relating to its own staff.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Oh FFS. Give it a rest. It is something that is being investigated which happened in the 80s, Just give your obsessions a break for 2 minutes and take into consideration the serverity of this matter and how distressing this must have been and still is to the victims.
    I think you'll find that I am one of the least obsessed with KM on here and I have been very tolerant of the way the club has been run compared to others.

However, there is no evidence that she has any decency, is respectful or is competent - and there have been examples where she has failed to be any of them.

I am horrified to the point of, literally, feeling sick with these national revelations, and they make our specific problems with those that are running our club look trivial.

I am not point scoring I am just stating a fact. I believe that KM (assuming she is involved with the investigation) will not handle this matter is a way that will reflect well on herself or the club. I'm not suggesting that there will be any sinister going on, just that this is far too sensitive a matter for someone as clumsy, with her words and her actions, as she is, to be involved.

I, in no way, hope that the club is embarrassed, I just fear that it will be.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Just watched ITV news. Charlton Athletic was mentioned about the child abuse.

Quite upsetting. It looks like a lot about us is about to come out.
  • Options
    As @Airman Brown says this is a pretty futile "investigation" in all aspects apart from basic PR.

There are no admin records and even if you find people who were around then what do you expect them to say? "Yeah, I have known he was a nonce for 35 years, so glad you finally asked me."

Its actually quite funny to think of the Belgian blunderers trying to deal with something as serious as this, they quite literally would not even know where to begin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As @Airman Brown says this is a pretty futile "investigation" in all aspects apart from basic PR.

There are no admin records and even if you find people who were around then what do you expect them to say? "Yeah, I have known he was a nonce for 35 years, so glad you finally asked me."

Its actually quite funny to think of the Belgian blunderers trying to deal with something as serious as this, they quite literally would not even know where to begin.

Exactly
  • Options

You need to go and ask all the abuse victims if they think it's funny mate
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Come on, this isn't the time to play "I'm the most outraged" - you know he didn't mean literally "funny".

Luckily there isn't much KM can do with regards this investigation so there isn't much scope for her to muck it up, why they called it an internal investigation rather than just saying we'd cooperate with the authorities I don't know.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

"Trying to deal with something as serious as this"

It's obvious enough that the poster was not making a joke about child abuse or implying that the dreadful subject matter is not as bad or serious as it is.

Leave it out

• Options
    edited December 2016
    se9addick said:

clb74 said:

Come on, this isn't the time to play "I'm the most outraged" - you know he didn't mean literally "funny".

Luckily there isn't much KM can do with regards this investigation so there isn't much scope for her to muck it up, why they called it an internal investigation rather than just saying we'd cooperate with the authorities I don't know.
    As already stated there are no records or personnel still associated with the club from the period of this horrendous event.

Given the above, I think it's a very worthwhile strategy for the clubs current management to find out as much as is still possible so that any cooperation with the authorities is as meaningful as it can be.

I don't think it's cause for critisism at all regardless of any perceived futility.

• Options
    On the news now, former Charlton goalie Russell Davy, Eddie Heath again.
  • Options
    Poor victims.

You don't get to cleanse your soul.

You get to take responsibility for the pain you have most likely caused.

Admitting what you did and making the work of the police a bit more straightforward.

Criminals of this calibre, take notice. Do the same.

• Options
    Have no tolerance for this at all, makes me feel sick.

Good luck to the victims and hope justice is served on as many of the abusers and those who may have looked the other way as possible.