Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager rumours (Karl Robinson interviewed pg.22)

Comments

• Options
    The Sun is reporting that Caldwell met the club yesterday and is favourite.
  • Options

Would rather him than the others that have been mentioned.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I doubt the bookies have much a of a clue in reality. In an ideal world, rating someone as 'favourite' would take into account two factors: 1) who the club wants 2) the candidate's willingness to take such a poisoned chalice. And #2 is a completely unknown quantity.

It's like being the favourite in a flat race where all of a sudden a bloody great fence has been erected a furling from home.
  • Options

The first indications of genuine interest by the club in someone
  • Options
    I'm half asleep and not read the entire thread but did I just read that referring to a soft drink by its correct name is now racist ?
  • Options

interview a few credible candidates, maybe put a few names out even if you have not, then, when you appoint O'Loughlin you can say we interviwed five candidates and Chris is the best man for the job (until February that is)
  • Options

wmcf123 said:

Now I'm going to display some heavy Politically correct roots here.

I would never describe someone who has worked an African country as 'drinking um bongo in the congo'

Nearly placed a flag there but didn't.

I guess the questions is:
    A) nothing to see here no worries
    B) why didn't you flag as it looks like racism dressed into a joke
    C) why are you still awake loser

Comments?

Neil, not sure how old you are, but I think he was referring to this.

https://youtu.be/vUI_MKtaYqM
    I think you have to be at least 30 to remember this advert . Great advert, good drink
    I think 25... As a 28-year old I remember it pretty well.

Can you not still get Um Bongo? Was a lunchbox staple along with a single finger Twix/Breakaway bar, Pom Bears and a 5-alive drink.
    http://www.umbongo.com/

Still around
  • Options

interview a few credible candidates, maybe put a few names out even if you have not, then, when you appoint O'Loughlin you can say we interviwed five candidates and Chris is the best man for the job (until February that is)
    Sad thing is, i can see this being true.
  • Options

Do we trust anything that's in the Sun though?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why do people like Caldwell as a choice? I know nothing about the man beyond who he played for and that he didn't succeed at Wigan - what's the deal here?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Why do people like Caldwell as a choice? I know nothing about the man beyond who he played for and that he didn't succeed at Wigan - what's the deal here?

Think it's because he won the league win Wigan , just with a much stronger squad that what we have!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

He got Wigan promoted.
  • Options
    Didn't realise Caldwell was only 34.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

How do you class winning league one as not succeeding?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Didn't realise Caldwell was only 34.

Maybe we're signing him as a player
  • Options
    So much speculation that I wouldn't believe anything. As for the bookies' odds, they are based on what people wager not who is most likely to get the job. Only look at that usually when they suspend betting on X or Y.

I also wouldn't put I past the club to put out disinformation to the press (who will gobble up an easy story) so that when they do appoint a puppet they can say they tried but were unable to land some of those named.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

How do you class winning league one as not succeeding?
    They did have Delort after all!
  • Options
    Jacko's odds seem to have come in a bit..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stick a different managerial cardboard cut out in the technical area at each game.

Won't make a blind bit of difference.

1st week-Ron Atkinson
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Stick a different managerial cardboard cut out in the technical area at each game.

Won't make a blind bit of difference.

1st week-Ron Atkinson

They'd stick him in the away one.
  • Options
    A new manager will get fulsome praise from me...providing he or she wins, and finishes this season with 92 points minimum and the fourth round of the FA cup.
    THAT'S what would look like a bit of a fresh start to me.
  • Options
    Not COL on official website, but has been given a coaching role!
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic Assistant Manager Kevin Nugent will take on the role of Caretaker Manager until a permanent replacement for Russell Slade is appointed
    Charlton Athletic Assistant Manager Kevin Nugent will take on the role of Caretaker Manager until a permanent replacement for Russell Slade is appointed.

Nugent will be supported by Simon Clark and Chris O’Loughlin, a new addition to the club’s coaching staff who, contrary to reports, will not become the club’s new Manager.

Nugent, who took the team’s training session on Tuesday, said: “It has been a busy week for everyone involved at the club and our focus now is very much on Saturday’s game with Port Vale and securing three points.

"We’ve played them already this season, so we have an idea of what to expect and we will be working hard to ensure that the boys are ready and focussed when 3pm comes around on Saturday."

Nugent has previously had spells as a Caretaker Manager at Leyton Orient and Swansea City​.

O’Loughlin has previously worked as an Assistant Coach at Orlando Pirates and Melbourne Victory and also had stints as Head Coach at Congolese club AS Vitaand Sint-Truiden.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-football-club-news-kevin-nugent-caretaker-3420221.aspx#fyvgPxdpgq01VtOR.99
  • Options
    Just one thought though... I'm guessing that Kevin Nugent will remain Assistant Manager when the new man comes into... Simon Clark will remain First Team Coach (?), what with O'Loughlin's title be?

Unless (1) Nugent doesnt stay when the new man comes in (2) am I looking into it too much and O'Loughlin is just another Coach
  • Options
    edited November 2016

To be fair as I've already said in another post... I dont have an issue with Chris joining the coaching team if its going to work to Charlton's advantage, hell he might be a good coach and by not becoming Manager straight away will help him to learn and understand the English game without the pressures of being an inexperienced Manager

but who appointed him?

We don't have a manager but we've appointed a new first team coach.

He will be seen as a spy for RD and KM even if he is a good coach.
    You could say that though if Nugent remains as Assistant Manager when the new man joins though?

i.e. He's in his job yet the Manager didnt appoint him, the last one did so why is he still here?