Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager rumours (Karl Robinson interviewed pg.22)

Comments

• Options
    cfgs said:

Robinson must see potential in the squad and been told he can add to it. But the only reason to take the job is if you think he will sell up.

Perhaps you might have said, Robinson must see potential in having his contract paid up early.

• Options
    Even if you don't like him, at least he isn't another network non-entity with no idea about English football.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

cfgs said:

Robinson must see potential in the squad and been told he can add to it. But the only reason to take the job is if you think he will sell up.

Perhaps you might have said, Robinson must see potential in having his contract paid up early.

That as well.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

To me it's largely irrelevant.

No one is going to succeed under this regime, he won't be given time, he'll lose Lookman in January and unlikely to be given much money to spend to replace him.

He's only ever managed at MKD, one promotion, one relegation. He'll be gone in the summer if this lot are still around.

Not a bad win rate, slightly ahead of Powell.

Without a proper long term plan and long term management team we're heading no where (up anyway)

Exactly.
  • Options
    If you were a manager in talks about the job with us, you'd probably want a guarantee that Lookman won't be sold until next summer.
  • Options
    It occurs to me, and I don't know why I've only just realised this, that the job description with us is to finish much higher than the squad is likely to be able to based on the resources that will be allocated to it. And, if the manager doesn't achieve this elevated position he will be sacked in half a season.

On that basis any and all new appointments are destined to fail - both to achieve what is expected, and to last a whole season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

tricky said:

I don't seem to dislike Robinson as much as many others on here, but you have to question anyone who's willing to take this job on.

I imagine we will play better football under Robinson, but that there'll be a greater focus on playing younger players to maximise sale value.

Just a hunch but I reckon Robinson will be more accepting of the board's vision of our role in football as something of a feeder club to the Premier League. It works for his reputation as a manager who brings kids on, and it works for Roland and KM.

To his credit Slade brought Konsa in to the side and left him there (admittedly when we had a lot of injuries at CB). But apart from brief cameos from Hanlan he didn't show any interest in our youth players. RCC and Aribo, going on what those who regularly watch the youth team say, are ready for that step up (RCC looked decent in cameos last year). I think Slade's inability to look at midfielders with some athleticism and drive is part of the reason he's no longer manager.

For me, if Robinson is willing to nurture and, at the right time, promote youth players then he's a great fit for us. For as stupid as KM's comment about "the future stars of the Premier League" was, selling our quality homegrown young players is a model we've been adhering to for a decade (longer if you count Parker). Shelvey, Jenkinson, Elliot, Gomez, THD, Harriott, and soon Lookman.

Honestly, I don't know how a team is financially feasible below the Prem in modern English football (amongst the drastically inflated wages thanks to the Premier League and rich Champo owners) unless they produce young players and sell them on to wealthier clubs or have an owner willing to continuously pour money in (which can be problematic--Hull, Bolton, Blackburn, etc.). I don't want this to be our long term ambition, and obviously last year's needless relegation has drastically exacerbated this, but in the short to medium term I don't know how else you can expect this football club to be run, unfortunately.
    If you aim to just compete in the Championship you're probably going to struggle. Some players will naturally move on if they progress faster than the club. Young players that are good enough will always break through. Under Pardew in the first season in the Championship he was allowed a huge squad. Players like Arter never really got a chance, so there has a to be a balance with the squad size.

RD/KM have got it the other way around. Minimal squad to develop as many young players as possible, sell on one or two a season to fund the losses. If we get lucky one year we'll get to the Premier League. Except it doesn't work like that, KAG suffered from being thrown in too early, Vetokele suffered from playing while unfit due to the squad size.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Very much meh on Robinson as he always comes across as incredible chippy. But his track record is FAR better than Slade's. I can only hope he's more coach than manager (which I believe he is)--i.e. working on the training ground with the team rather than overseeing things.

On the face of it, I think sacking Slade was a very good decision given his replacement.

He's got a promotion under his belt. So already an improvement.
    Whereas good old Russ had a gut under his belt!
    Fat russ doesn't wear a belt, in fact he hasn't owned one since he was 12 years old!!
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Oggy Red said:

Signed Simon Church, so evidently has an eye for a good player.

But so did Chris Powell.
    Very true ..... but then he didn't have a lot of choice 2 days before the start of the season, with having Kermorgant as the only striker.

Seriously, if only Churchino had a bit more composure in front of goal, he would have been a decent enough player.
    Attitude spot on and gave his all for the team.

Wales' managers thought so too.

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

To me it's largely irrelevant.

No one is going to succeed under this regime, he won't be given time, he'll lose Lookman in January and unlikely to be given much money to spend to replace him.

He's only ever managed at MKD, one promotion, one relegation. He'll be gone in the summer if this lot are still around.

Not a bad win rate, slightly ahead of Powell.

Without a proper long term plan and long term management team we're heading no where (up anyway)

Exactly this.

I can't see why any non-regime professional manager would come into this club now, apart from knowing you'll be sacked within 20 odd games with an assurance of a much higher bank balance than before.

Makes no sense to me why Robinson would join us. Unless the above or he's foolish enough to believe whatever nonsense Douche and KM have fed him about our future with them.

Robinson should know right now that the only positive future we have begins the day them two f**k off.
  • Options
    Seemed to do a decent enough job at MKD but comes across as a bit arrogant. Someone like him might be what we need, fire in the belly and unlikely to take too much BS from Meire. I pray this is RD's last throw of the dice. Telling that it was reported he met Duchatalet not Meire; we now know definitively who really calls the shots round here. Good luck Karl, beat Millwall and you'll be a hero.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Very much meh on Robinson as he always comes across as incredible chippy. But his track record is FAR better than Slade's. I can only hope he's more coach than manager (which I believe he is)--i.e. working on the training ground with the team rather than overseeing things.

On the face of it, I think sacking Slade was a very good decision given his replacement.

He's got a promotion under his belt. So already an improvement.
    Whereas good old Russ had a gut under his belt!
    Move over his belt I'd say
  • Options
    I wonder if Duchatelet hopes making another managerial change will halt the protests as CARD did when Slade was appointed. Now is not the time to suspend @CARD protests, regardless. The momentum is with us.
  • Options

Always seemed like a smarmy shite, but maybe when he is 'your smarmy shite' he's okay?

This for me. Never warmed to him and don't think his record is great.

MKD often fell away after good starts but his team's did try to play football and he used the loan market well.

Not a terrible signing but not one that excites me much either.

Given backing and time he could take us back up, we are seeing tonight that we have a decent side already, but how long will he get that support.

In any case he ain't here yet. WIOTOS.
    He, if appointed, will get support until the Jan transfer window. Then the regime will cash in on Lookman and Konsa
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2016
    He'll go at the end of the season
  • Options

Think the pressure Is massively on him from KM&RD ... they need Promotion so If he doesn't provide, then will go
  • Options

Haha, as if he'll last to the end of the season under this lot!

• Options
    Sorry, i meant Lookman will go at the end of the season. No point selling him in January if as stated by the club, we have "the aim of achieving its number one priority – promotion back to the Sky Bet Championship at the earliest opportunity"

They wouldn't lie to us.
  • Options
    Don't need a manager, call the whole thing off
  • Options
    Sounds like a done deal. After tonight's result, I wish they'd waited & tried to persuade Nugent
  • Options
    Seriously - why not give Nugent longer? - he clearly sets up more positively which is basically what we have been saying the team needed all season. We risk another Slade coming in who was gutless - not literally of course.
  • Options
    Any chance of Nugent staying on to work with Robinson?
  • Options
    Nugent worked with Slade - By some chance we have got a positive manager - why risk it?