Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swindon v Charlton | Sat 12 Nov | 12noon KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Swindon Town v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 12th November 2016 … 12noon Kick-Off
Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex)

Introduction

So four cup matches played, we advance in three of them and we exit the last… Not the worst week for Charlton in terms of cup results especially as there were celebrations on CharltonLife after Ezri Konsa missed his penalty on Tuesday night to send us out of the Football League Trophy. Yet for another month that’s the end of cup talk… It’s time to return to League action as we are joined by the SKY cameras as we make the trip along the M4 to Swindon Town.

Having been relegated to League One it was always going to be a rare occasion when Charlton would get on the box, yet with it being another International break, the TV companies are forced to tip their toes into the lower leagues. In terms of recent coverage this will be our first away tie on television since a 3-0 defeat away at Fulham in October 2014… Swindon on the other hand have already been televised twice this season, a 2-2 League draw in September against Peterborough and a 1-1 draw with Eastleigh in the FA Cup showed just what League One teams can offer.

The Opposition
Name: Swindon Town | Manager: Luke Williams
Ground: County Ground

As already mentioned; Swindon have already been televised this season and it was last Friday that we got to see the potential dangers of our opponents… To be honest from my viewings they were poor, despite being the FA Cup, they were two leagues higher than Eastleigh and required a penalty to earn a replay that saw little action. The interesting point of the match saw key Defender: Nathan Thompson limping off with a suspected hamstring issue so three points for the Addicks will be helped if he is still side-lined.

In terms of this season though; Swindon haven’t been in the greatest of form… Just four victories with their last coming in October see them occupying the last relegation place (although only on Goal Difference) and its clear their issues stem not from finding the goal (after losing top-scorer Nicky Ajose in the summer) yet from keeping the ball out of their net having conceded on 23-occasions whilst having kept just four clean sheets.

Charlton Team News
The main talking point ahead of this match is the fact that it falls on an International weekend which means Charlton are missing three of their key players yet with Josh Magennis and Jordan Botaka signed after this match was confirmed for SKY; there is little we can complain about.

With Nicky Ajose scoring against Colchester on Tuesday night he’ll surely start tomorrow and will be surely joined by Lee Novak who’ll replace Magennis up front… Brandon Hanlan continues to impress with his cameos so could even be a surprise start… Ademola Lookman is the other player on International duty so the Left of Midfield is a slot that will require cover; Adam Chicksen a left-back by trade yet like Paul Konchesky of old, can play in Midfield, otherwise Joe Aribo who also impressed on Tuesday night could earn his league debut…

Other than Ahmed Kashi who is struggle to get out of a black-hole (otherwise known as France) our physio room is pretty clear although, Ricky Holmes was injured in our cup match during the weekend which saw him require stiches in his foot… Should he miss out you’d expect him to be replaced by Kevin Foley.

Rudd
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Fox
Aribo | Ulvestad | Crofts | Jackson
Novak | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Konsa | Teixeira | Lennon | Chicksen | Foley | Hanlan

Prediction
With three (possibly four) key players missing from the squad it’s difficult to see what the performance will be like, having built up a run of form though you’d hope Charlton can bring all three points back to London… We just need to try to avoid stage fright in front of a whole country potentially watching and turn it to our advantage in a (magic) roundabout sort of way.

Comments

• Just a few notes from myself today as I know there are a few helpful Addicks (not sarcasm) who have pointed out my errors in the past... I'm not 100% sure if Fulham was our last away outing on TV so if not, I'll happily correct.

I've also left Ricky Holmes out of the line-up... Russell Slade says he's 50/50 in his Press Conference so went for the safe option of leaving him out, of course if he starts I'd put him in ahead of Aribo with the latter dropping to the bench.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.

I've never seen someone getting so many cheap lol!'s ;)
  • If we are without Holmes, the lack of attacking players on the subs bench is woeful! Maybe Umerah or Ahearn-Grant will be brought in instead of one of the five defenders you have?
  • I predict the millions tuning into this will be enthralled by a 1-1 draw.
  • Pedro45 said:

If we are without Holmes, the lack of attacking players on the subs bench is woeful! Maybe Umerah or Ahearn-Grant will be brought in instead of one of the five defenders you have?

Solly has had an injection so have added Foley to the bench as cover for him... I also partly believe that Foley will start in place of Holmes, Chicksen has been added to the bench so that he can cover Fox and come on for Jackson if he tires.

Konsa can also cover Centre-Back and Centre-Midfield

To be honest I'd be surprised if Slade's bench was as Defensive as mine but its the most experienced available
  • away win

Swindon Town 0 v CAFC 3
  • We are a roll. The good times will continue with a thumping 3-0 win. Will it be playoffs or automatic promotion at the end of the season?
  • edited November 2016
    Now our team seems to have finally settled with a spine of Rudd, Bauer, Pearce, Crofts, Ulvestad and Magennis, things are looking up.

Magennis out isn't great, but Novak and Ajose should be potent enough in attack. The main problem is wings, Holmes, Lookman and Botaka all potentially missing could see us start with 4 full backs or 4 central midfielders, or even 3 centre backs and pushing Fox and Solly to wing backs.

Rudd
    Solly Bauer Pearce Fox
    Holmes Ulvestad Crofts Jackson
    Ajose Novak

Phillips Chicksen Lennon Konsa Foley Hanlan Aribo

2-1 both Ajose
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-2, another small step on the road to improvement.
  • Slade really needs three points here otherwise the win over Scunthorpe will mean nothing and we'll remain rooted in the bottom half/third of the table. Ajose to score. Heart says 1-2, head says the usual 1-1...
  • If we have no Holmes or Lookman (or Botaka, not that he'd ever get picked) we will struggle to get the ball out of midfield. Seeing as Swindon have one of the worst defences in the league and Ajose will be fired up against his old club, I expect us to score zero goals.
  • Bearing in mind the players out and hoping holmes is fit I would set up like this -

Rudd

Solly Bauer Pearce Fox

Holmes Ulvestad Crofts Aribo

Hanlan Ajose

I really like the look of Hanlan and I think he offers more than Novak. If holmes is out then play aribo on the right and Jacko on the left.

This international break really does show our lack of attacking depth!
  • Russell Slade masterclass in formation and tactics... oh sorry, got that wrong.

Russell Slade masterclass in stopping at a KFC on the coach ride home for a Family Bargain Bucket!

2-1 to Swindon
  • 1-1 away draw again....I'll be watching on TV...so I will set up a match thread then if someone wants to take it on then please feel free to do so.
  • Reckon we might go back to 4-5-1 :(

1-2 win after reverting to 442 in the second half
  • Given the likely lack of our four most creative players I can't see anything other than a defeat here. The only saving grace is that I saw about 20 minutes of Swindon in the FA cup last weekend on telly and they were utter chuff. The sherwood factor may galvanise them, and, if so were in for a long hard 90 minutes. Not one for the purists I suspect. 3-0 Swindon.
  • FA, Fulham at home was the last time on telly I believe.

I'm currently looking for a stream for this. It doesn't seem to be on US TV, as the channel who normally shows Champo games has decided to show South American WCQ instead. Ridiculous, who wants to see that?!?!
  • SDAddick said:

FA, Fulham at home was the last time on telly I believe.

I'm currently looking for a stream for this. It doesn't seem to be on US TV, as the channel who normally shows Champo games has decided to show South American WCQ instead. Ridiculous, who wants to see that?!?!

Not that it really matters but Fulham was October last year. Think the 0-3 vs Ipswich in early December was the last time we were on the box
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Not that it really matters but Fulham was October last year. Think the 0-3 vs Ipswich in early December was the last time we were on the box
    You both need to read more... ;)

"In terms of recent coverage this will be our first away tie on television since a 3-0 defeat away at Fulham in October 2014"

But your both wrong in terms of our last actual game on the box... Our last televised game was last game of last season against Burnley, we also played Middlesbrough on the TV
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

You both need to read more... ;)

"In terms of recent coverage this will be our first away tie on television since a 3-0 defeat away at Fulham in October 2014"

But your both wrong in terms of our last actual game on the box... Our last televised game was last game of last season against Burnley, we also played Middlesbrough on the TV
    Yeah you're right on ALL counts. I've had a shocker (cue OHHHHH PAT BONNER). We were lucky to get a fair fews games streamed via US TV here in the second half of last season.

• Not sure where our goals are going to come from. Hopefully I am surprised.
  • Rudd
    Solly Bauer Lennon Fox
    Holmes Ulvestad Crofts Jackson
    Novak Ajose

I expect Holmes to be risked but Pearce not to be.

Expect Ajose to score and us to win.

3-1 to the rip roaring, goal scoring Addicks.
  • Not fair we're being made to play this.

2-0 Swindon.

Slade and Sherwood come to blows in the technical area when Slade mutters a comment about Sherwood's jumper being from Matalan.
  • 1-1 draw then watch England beat the Springboks :smiley:
  • 1-0 Swindon and I switch off by HT
  • Not sure about this? Think Swindon have a big advantage but I am pleased Crofts is available. Hopefully Holmes as well? If so a 1-1 draw beckons. Otherwise curse of Sky 2-1 to Swindon.
  • edited November 2016

Rudd

Solly Bauer Pearce Fox Chicksen

Holmes Ulvestad Crofts Aribo

Hanlan Ajose

For me, the above.