Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

October Fans Forum Minutes

2»

Comments

• sammy391 said:

She met the reminiscence group today ....
    who?!

Group of older fans who meet to talk about Charlton past and present.
    Should be fun, especially as Daisy doesn't care about history
  • edited November 2016

sammy391 said:

who?!

Do you know if she meets with them regularly Henners or is it another tick in the box?
  • edited November 2016
    RedChaser said:

sammy391 said:

who?!

Do you know if she meets with them regularly Henners or is it another tick in the box?
    They meet at the Valley every week (Thursday afternoon's in Bartrams IIRC) but don't think KM has ever been to one of their meetings before. But I'm not a member so can't say. Been going for a long and centuries of Charlton support between them so I wouldn't like them being attacked for speaking to her.

As it is a meeting that happens at the Valley anyway she doesn't have to put herself out too much to attend and they don't have to go out of their way either.
  • That group actually sounds interesting, bet they've got some stories between them !
  • edited November 2016
    I read the Sam Bartram biogarphy recently and the overwhelming thought that come over me was how brilliant it would have been to see the great man play. He was a great keeper for his time, but an entertainer too! To many people he is just a statue, but he was a true legend for our club. I'd love to hear people who saw him play talk about him.
  • Go talk to Derek Ufton about him - he brings him alive.
  • edited November 2016
    What a lot of people probably don't know is that he loved to get the ball and dribble up the pitch, even into the opponent's half. Sometimes it didn't come off and he had to run back - sometimes still stopping the goal sometimes not. But fans forgave him because he was such a great keeper and this only made him more special, although i'd wager it probably was the reason he didn't get the England caps he deserved. I'd love to see his sports shop outside the ground restored. A vanity project requiring a fair bit of money that probably willnever happen, but wouldn't it be special!
  • edited November 2016
    Converted left half was Sam, I believe, so would have been comfortable with the ball at his feet. My father said he would have played for England had it not been for Bert Williams and Frank Swift in front of him.
  • RedChaser said:

sammy391 said:

who?!

They meet at the Valley every week (Thursday afternoon's in Bartrams IIRC) but don't think KM has ever been to one of their meetings before. But I'm not a member so can't say. Been going for a long and centuries of Charlton support between them so I wouldn't like them being attacked for speaking to her.

As it is a meeting that happens at the Valley anyway she doesn't have to put herself out too much to attend and they don't have to go out of their way either.
    Interesting Tweet from some obscure Twitter account;

• The CL twitter trolled me into checking in to find out what happened this afternoon... any one share anything more?
  • Sponsored links:

• Just click bait
  • @se9addick nothing interesting or cryptic, just my poor attempt at humour in suggesting that the group that reminisces about the good times at Charlton was the 11/12 league winning squad that this regime carved up
  • Thought the pic made it obvious to be honest!
  • Thought the pic made it obvious to be honest!

That's disappointing - I was hoping you were going to tell us the reminiscence group invited her down to Bartrams and then, once she was cornered, called her out on her nonsense !
  • Werent these fan forum meetings supposed to be filmed for the Charlton youtube channel?
  • CAFCTrev said:

Werent these fan forum meetings supposed to be filmed for the Charlton youtube channel?

It was stopped after just one go. Mainly because it caught Daisy's facial gymnastics when anyone old had anything to say.
  • Pico said:

Airman - What do you mean by this ?

"The tosh about the training ground is a good example. The club published a bullshit article so no further questions are asked about it at the FF, whereas I believe Bromley put them under pressure to explain the contradictions. But that doesn't expose them publicly because it's behind closed doors at the club's insistence."

Covered End and Henry Irving provided quite detailed reports on here of what was said and as far as I can tell there was no attempt to persuade people attending not to publicise what was said (which would have been futile and stupid anyway). So how was it behind closed doors ?

Henry reported their confused and evasive answers about the training ground so doesn't that expose them publicly ?

There's a big difference between third party accounts and an agreed record or a recording. Plenty of people would argue that such accounts on here are partial and selective, whether that's true or not.

Indeed, where on here is there any published account of the Maidstone meeting, which preceded Bromley, and where people were also critical of the club? I understood that the club was very clear in advance that the Bromley meeting was not to be recorded.

Why is Meire apparently so frightened of going on the record unmediated, for example on the Charlton Live radio programme, in a forum where she can be asked questions by people who have the knowledge to be able to challenge her version?

Shouldn't a chief executive be capable of answering such questions in a place where the public can reach its own judgement about the quality of her response?

There's a rationale for different kinds of engagement, but it was she who unilaterally decided and announced publicly that the FF should be recorded, after all. That lasted one meeting.
    If she won't go on a national radio show without assurances she won't have to speak to any Charlton fans, does anyone really think she is going to go on record at any of these meetings? Her/Charlton's PR consultants know she cannot be trusted to tell the truth let alone not to put her foot in it.
  • mogodon said:

Pico said:

Airman - What do you mean by this ?

"The tosh about the training ground is a good example. The club published a bullshit article so no further questions are asked about it at the FF, whereas I believe Bromley put them under pressure to explain the contradictions. But that doesn't expose them publicly because it's behind closed doors at the club's insistence."

Covered End and Henry Irving provided quite detailed reports on here of what was said and as far as I can tell there was no attempt to persuade people attending not to publicise what was said (which would have been futile and stupid anyway). So how was it behind closed doors ?

Henry reported their confused and evasive answers about the training ground so doesn't that expose them publicly ?

There's a big difference between third party accounts and an agreed record or a recording. Plenty of people would argue that such accounts on here are partial and selective, whether that's true or not.

Indeed, where on here is there any published account of the Maidstone meeting, which preceded Bromley, and where people were also critical of the club? I understood that the club was very clear in advance that the Bromley meeting was not to be recorded.

Why is Meire apparently so frightened of going on the record unmediated, for example on the Charlton Live radio programme, in a forum where she can be asked questions by people who have the knowledge to be able to challenge her version?

Shouldn't a chief executive be capable of answering such questions in a place where the public can reach its own judgement about the quality of her response?

There's a rationale for different kinds of engagement, but it was she who unilaterally decided and announced publicly that the FF should be recorded, after all. That lasted one meeting.
    If she won't go on a national radio show without assurances she won't have to speak to any Charlton fans, does anyone really think she is going to go on record at any of these meetings? Her/Charlton's PR consultants know she cannot be trusted to tell the truth let alone not to put her foot in it.
    Such a shame as the squirrel is 5 star entertainment when she opens her gob.