Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Marks: FACR1 Charlton v Scunthorpe

2»

Comments

• Lookman: 7 lovely movement and goals, can't fault this side of his game. Woeful defending, seems to lose his balance as soon as an attacker dips his shoulder.

He is a striker and at a stretch a winger... A small, nippy one at that. He should be particularly expected to do any defending at all.
    If he's at stretch a winger then part of his job is to protect the Full-Back he's in front of!!
    I've never seen Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard, Robben or Neymar track back too much and they seem to do ok without it. Ade isn't a defender in the slightest. Slade should know this and set up so it isn't needed. And when he have Jackson on the other side hardly going 10 yards either side of the half way line on the other wing I don't think it's very fair to single out Ade.
    Maybe because if the opposition commit too many men forward then the likes of Messi / Ronaldo / Neymar will punish them in the open spaces

Your right, they dont need to track back because they dont need to but in League One / the Championship its habit for most teams for the Winger to get the ball and to attack the Left-Back, the opposing Left-Back will then join in the attack because it'll leave the defender with two choices, mark the overlapping Lack-Back and so give the Winger space OR go tight to the winger who is just going to play it to their team-mate

Because of that the defender needs their own Winger to help them out so that whatever choice the defender takes, their Winger can cover them.

How many times have we seen Solly and Holmes | Solly and Wilson | Wiggins and Jackson etc. when attacking do that to great effect over the last few years
  • Rudd: 8.5 He made a number of excellent saves. MOM.
    Foley: 5 A number of errors
    Fox: 6 One of his best games
    Bauer: 7 Good game
    Konsa: 6.5 Did well.
    Lookman: 8 He was quietish, yet changed the game with a wonder strike.
    Ulvestad: 7.5 He really really battled.
    Crofts: 6.5 I thought he did well. Best game for Charlton ?
    Jackson: 6.5. Did well. Extra half for the goal.
    Magennis: 6.5 Battled all game.
    Ajose: 5 Damn shame, but very poor again. He can't even control the ball.

Holmes n/a (injured on 27 minutes) Did ok, until getting kicked on the ankle.
    Novak n/a He's improving and I'd start him with Magennis.
  • Rudd 9:
    Foley:5
    Fox:6
    Bauer:6
    Konsa:6
    Lookman:8
    Ulvestad:7
    Crofts:6
    Jackson:7
    Magennis:7
    Ajose:6
    The best cup game performance in years. The weakness as usual was defending which is why the keeper is man of the match. There were to many under hit back passes to him from defenders and midfielders during the game and only his sharp responses saved us. But going forward we where good and well done Lookeman.