Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Scunthorpe | Nov 05 Oct | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Scunthorpe United
Saturday 5th November 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
FA Cup First Round

Introduction

Fresh from a victory against Chesterfield last Saturday; Charlton and league football (for the lower Divisions) take a break this weekend as the first round of the FA Cup enters the football calendar for 2016/17. In a world now where sporting traditions are being replaced with glamourous financial opportunities, the early stages of the FA Cup represents what real football was like before the corporate side of the game came into effect. For one weekend, possibly more, this is a chance for the likes of Westfields and Stamford, the lowest teams left in the competition, this is a chance for them to write their names in the history books and so gain forever glory.

For Charlton Athletic, this is of course a competition that we won in 1947 yet with the club now in the third tier it is unlikely that the silverware will be returning to South East London this season… Unlike the League Cup though, this is a competition we are comfortable in as only on three occasions in our history have we exited the FA Cup in the first round, when the draw was made though, we were given the hardest tie of the lot. This Saturday we face the current run away leaders of League One: Scunthorpe United

The Opposition
Name: Scunthorpe United | Manager: Graham Alexander
Ground: Glanford Park | Nickname: The Iron

Of course we have already faced Scunthorpe once this season so straight away I’m hoping that this weekend doesn’t see a draw else I’ll be forced to write four match previews against the same opposition… This Saturday though belongs to the FA Cup not the League so the 0-0 draw from two months ago can be forgotten for now.

If Charlton don’t struggle at this stage of the competition then thankfully Scunthorpe do struggle, the last two years they’ve reached the third round of the FA Cup yet the three years prior to that saw the Iron exit the competition at this very stage (losing to Grimsby, Gillingham and AFC Wimbledon). They’ve never won the competition yet Scunthorpe have managed to make the fifth round on two occasions, once in 1958 and more recently in 1970… the two sides have met in the FA Cup before (in 1962), on that day the Addicks ran out 1-0 winners against a Scunthorpe side in what was an all Second Division (Championship) tie.

Charlton Team News
With at least forty six league games across a season, the matches will take their toll on players especially as we slowly approach the Christmas period, both Andrew Crofts and Morgan Fox have played every game this season so will no doubt be given a rest with Johnnie Jackson and Adam Chicksen possibly their replacements…

This is also a chance to see a youth player or two included and with Dillon Phillips having started all our cup matches (bar the League Cup), he could be given a run out ahead of our Football League Trophy match on Tuesday.

Phillips
Foley | Bauer | Lennon | Chicksen
Holmes | Jackson | Ulvestad | Botaka
Ajose | Novak

Substitutes Bench: Rudd | Solly | Konsa | Crofts | Hanlan | Ahearne-Grant | Aribo

Prediction
Being a cup match, form will go completely out the window as it’ll depend on who wants to win the match more and so create additional fixture congestion further along the season… Of course Scunthorpe being top of the league will want to win and so not lose confidence whilst the Addicks will want to build on their victory against Chesterfield last weekend… This match is too close to call

Comments

• 1-1 draw so a replay,

just out of curiosity what would you take,

fa cup semi final and finish 10th in league

playoffs and get knocked out saturday?
  • 1-1 draw so a replay,

If that Cup run saw us knock out a big side... (i.e. any Premier League team in the top half) then I'd love a Cup run through to the Semi-Finals provided that we dont get smashed and humiliated at Wembley.

If the Cup run sees us beating Scunthorpe | Whitehawk | Bolton | Wolves | Reading | Barnsley... then I'll happily be knocked out
  • 1-1 draw so a replay,

Always want Charlton to do well - but I really begrudge Roly and his bint having any sort of success.

But if I really had to choose.....10th and cup semi final.
  • Not.one.fuck.is.given.
  • Funny one this, as it is an opportunity to give others game, and also rest some from this match and the Checkalaugh match next week.

Are all of our on loan players available? I'm not sure that they will all have permission to play?

This is my guess -

Phillips
    Foley
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Chicksen
    Holmes
    Jackson
    Ulvestad
    Botaka
    Ajose
    Novak

Substitutes Bench: Rudd, Konsa, Lennon, Crofts, Hanlan, Ahearne-Grant, Lookman
  • 4-2 to the Addicks
  • 1-1 draw so a replay,

Most likely result is getting knocked out Saturday and finishing mid table
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Chicksen
    Foley Ulvestad Jackson Botaka
    Novak Ajose

Mitov Fox Lennon Aribo Charles-Cook Ahearne-Grant Hanlan

Reckon Magennis, Crofts and Lookman are injury concerns that Slade mentioned. One of our youngest ever home benches, even with Old Man Fox on it
  • Chris Waddle recently made a good suggestion on Radio5 .. for cup games, clubs should announce their team on the Monday before the game (assuming a Saturday game) so that fans can decide whether to go or not depending how 'seriously' the competitors seem to be taking the game .. my point ?

Impossible to 'guess' or evaluate until we know more about the above. Will Scunny be relying on the League for success this year ?, will Slade rest a few players ? etc. etc.
    I'm saving my money and time for the League game next January, THAT could prove to be a VERY important game
  • Unlike the League Cup though, this is a competition we are comfortable in as only on three occasions in our history have we exited the FA Cup in the first round

Sorry @ForeverAddickted , got to pull you up on that. We are shite in this competition - we've not been low enough in the League to feature in Round 1 that often, but we've entered and exited at Round 3 on numerous occasions. Even when we were in the Prem we only got to one quarter final and cocked that up against a Middlesbrough side who we'd thrashed 3-0 away in the league. Last season against Colchester, at home to Blackburn the season before, at home to Huddersfield under Powell, losing to the Gills under Curbs, struggling past Dagenham, there are loads of examples. We are a terrible cup club full stop. We don't even get exciting draws, we just pull out someone of similar or slightly less ability than us and then roll over.

I'd rather catch Dengue Fever than suffer the cup fever that Charlton usually serve up. This Saturday will be yet more evidence of the above. Scunthorpe sound like they're bringing a decent crowd down, so their boys will be up for it whilst ours are unlikely to be inspired by the site of 2,500 home fans.

I'm tempted to say a 1-0 defeat, but that would be too easy, too humane. I reckon 1-1, earning ourselves an unwanted replay. We get an exciting draw in Round 2, maybe the riff raff from down the road and, now that we've got something to play for, head up to Scunthorpe and get thumped 3-0 in the replay.
  • prediction.............more people on the match thread than in the ground

..........1-1 draw
  • I would like to see Ba and Tex have a run out.
  • 1-1 draw, don't think Phillips will start until Tuesday. Also doubt Pearce will be dropped either reckon will be 442
    Rudd
    Solly, Baur, Pearce, Chicksen
    Botaka, Ulvestad, Crofts, Holmes
    Ajose/ Novak

i would be surprised if there are more than a couple of changes.

Also i would much rather playoffs/ cup run , need to get back to Championship things aren't so gloomy there.
  • I like the cup still, hopefully we'll play a strong team.
  • Can't see anything decent about this one, usual crap will be on the menu with a slightly weaker side than normal, 3/4 changes I think.

2-0 Scunny, lemon squeezy...
  • One cnut goal in Scunthorpe! 0-1
  • 1-0 to us. Sign of the times as Scunny prioritise the league over the cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-1 to the Reds.
  • Just like watching Brazil, 4-3 to the much changed addicks, to avoid frostbite the decent brandy is getting an outing so it'd better be worth it.
  • edited November 2016
    Rudd
    Foley | Bauer | Konsa| Fox
    Holmes | Jackson | Ulvestad | Botaka
    Ajose | Novak

Charlton 1-0 Scunthorpe

Bob-Russell Peeterslade stays on
  • Couldn't give a shite but i would like to see Novak and Ajose partner one another with the big fella missing for Swindon, let's see how they get on
    2.1.cnuthorpe
  • With the daft rules meaning we have to play quite a strong side in the Checkatrade, and the equally daft situation that we're forced to play against Swindon with a weakened team, I've no idea what team RS will put out!
  • Novak starts and will score two, 2-0.
  • I only came to read Largo's prediction
  • The up side is that we'll be playing Millwall on a Saturday (and hopefully it will be on telly).

0-1.

Don't think it's the worst thing in the world for us to go out of the cup, but hope Slade gives a run out to Hanlan, RCC, Konsa, and Aribo and one other from the U23s on the bench.
  • Only here to check if Kashi is showing some signs of life. Is he still with us? Must be getting on a bit...