Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Refusal to sell tickets to non members

Comments

• I imagine this is an isolated incident for a home game. Know a few mates who got tickets no problem no questions asked.
  • mogodon said:

Happened to me last season as I could not prove I was a fan. I emailed the club a stack of old ticket stubs (dating back to the 1990s) various letters to me from the club, and old share certificate, old season tickets etc but apparently that was still not enough to allow me the honour of attending.

While still daft wasn't that a restricted sale match, the opposition having sold out? Hard to see why you'd turn anyone away from buying for this fixture.
    It was, but this was several days in advance and ample time to vet me. It's more symptomatic of a general malaise, and also a sign of how Target20K appears little more than something designed to appease wavering fans and the media.
  • edited November 2016

Sounds more like a staff training issue than policy. Remember they have to use casual staff on matchdays.

We usual casual staff to pick the team, so why not the ticket office as well?!?!
  • Sounds more like a staff training issue than policy. Remember they have to use casual staff on matchdays.

We usual casual staff to pick the team, so why not I. The ticket office as well I guess.
    Very true, Fromage was only a temp after all.
  • edited November 2016
    All the problems here stem from the top, with inexperienced people making policy, experienced staff either forced out or calling it a day because they can"t work under such poor leadership.

The result is what you are now left with a ticketing service not fit for purpose.
  • Sounds more like a staff training issue than policy. Remember they have to use casual staff on matchdays.

Do wonder about staffing levels even during normal working days.

When I have had occasion to ring the club over the last year with regard to several different issues I have received the following varied answers on being connected:

a) I'm sorry I don't have the extension number for the Press Office.

b) Why do you want to know that?
    Response to the Q, is Katrien Meire still on holiday?)
    On explaining that I wanted to know because IMO the CEO should not be on holiday during a critical period for the Club....and wanted to know if she had now returned.....
    Yes, but why do you want to know?

c) I don't know I'm just a steward here
    (on being connected ostensibly to Cliff Eager)

d) I don't know if Mr Eager is here ....I haven't seen him.

e) Mr Eager is here tomorrow
    (i.e. Friday)
    On Friday...........
    No, he's not here until Monday.

f) Automated response: Your call is important to us please hold...
    after holding for several minutes phone goes dead.

g) I'm sorry this an NHS call centre we don't give information over the phone.

ONLY g) of the above was invented ... the rest are all true.

• CAFCTrev said:

Sounds more like a staff training issue than policy. Remember they have to use casual staff on matchdays.

They HAVE to use casual staff on matchdays??
    There aren't enough weekday ticket staff to open sufficient sales windows on a matchday otherwise - that's always been the case.
  • Sorry to go slightly off topic, but out of interest, does anyone know roughly how many walk ups we're getting per game at the moment?
  • Sponsored links:

• I intend to draft an email to the club. Ideally I would want to it someone specific. For a normal business I would address to the person in charge of customer services or something similar. Do we have anybody who is supposed to oversee this sort of thing?
  • CAFCTrev said:

There aren't enough weekday ticket staff to open sufficient sales windows on a matchday otherwise - that's always been the case.
    That makes sense. Are they brought in from a agency or just friends of employees with a free Saturday?
  • redman said:

Apparently a guy I know, aged 74, went along to the Chesterfield game and tried to buy himself and his grandson tickets for the match. Apparently he was refused as he wasn't a member and couldn't produce a membership number. He went home, probably never to come back.
    Is this the general policy now?

It's disgraceful, but why did he accept this obvious nonsense ?

Personally, I don't believe that I would just accept this, without wanting to speak to the manager of the ticket office.
  • CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

That makes sense. Are they brought in from a agency or just friends of employees with a free Saturday?
    "Agency" would be pushing it as a description (and I am not sure of the current situation) but generally it's been people who help out from time to time, a few who have done matchday cash only sales for years and sometimes a few staff from other departments.
  • edited November 2016
    Good luck with that. I had enough trouble getting a comp for a Checkatrade Trophy match after being buggered about by them.
  • I'm interviewing for a few jobs at the moment and have had some great candidates in and some poor CVs as well.i am unfortunately having to have discussions with other staff around their roles no longer being required.

The SMT of CAFC, what would their CV look like?

Katrien Meire Charlton Athletic CEO

Date of birth: not relevant
    Previous experience: prior to being appointed CEO of Charlton no known experience of running any organisation.
    Current role performance: not good, relegation, fan protests, poor external and reportedly internally as justified by long term, and new recruit staff leaving

Tony Keohane Charlton althletic COO

Daye of birth: not relevant
    Other diversity factors: not relevant
    Previous experience: none at COO level but has worked for Wembley in an operations role
    Internet search: suggests that tony may not get on well with staff internally, question from Receuitment was how well he can develop the fan base

CFO: can't recall name, seems fairly innocuous

I've run out of ideas, who else is still in the SMT, I'm happy to work on the current CVs.

As the annual performance review cycle is upon us, 360 degree feedback is encouraged and we will need ratings on both a performance metric achievement basis (0-5 with 5 being high) and on a leadership imperative basis (a-e with e being highest)

Anyonescoring consist 2 or below and b or below will be subject to discussions around improvement which, if not resolved,!may lead to further disciplinary action.

Or promotion.
  • redman said:

Emasil I sent to info@cafc.co.uk
    Dear Sirs,
    I do not have a direct contact but please pass this message onto the senior person responsible for "customer" relations: I would be grateful if you could also let me know the name and contact of the person to whom you hace passed this.

I am writing with regard to something which has come to my attention following the Chesterfield game. Either there was a complete misunderstanding of club policy by somebody at the ticket office or the club policy has changed. I believe it is important for this to be clarified and for the club to be given an opportunity to rectify the issue.
    The situation regarded someone (not a regular fan) I know trying to attend the match with his grandson. On trying to buy 2 tickets he was refused because he could not supply a membership number (ie he was not a member, and neither does he have a purchase history). He was given no alternative but to turn round and go home disgruntled. He told me this yesterday along with implying he will not return again. I was surprised at the event. On discussing this with other Addicks the general opinion seems to be that there has not been a change in policy but that this was likely to have been caused by a temporary ticket office person not fully understanding the rules and policy.
    Firstly I believe it would be helpful if the club could confirm it's policy. Secondly I would respectfully suggest the club should ensure it's staff (permanent and temporary) are fully aware of the club's policy.
    Finally there is an opportunity for the club to now do something positive. We have a situation where this person and his grandson may never return and are likely to tell all and sundry about their negative experience at Charlton. Having worked in consumer products organisations for most of my life we would have tried now to exceed "customer" expectations. I am sure the club can think of something. A mininum suggestion would be to offer them free tickets to a forthcoming game (which must be at a game of their choice as they are not commited Saturday afternoon fans), but I would also suggest that the club should consider offering them free hospitality as a gestue of goodwill.

I write this in the spirit that many of us supporters have spent years trying to encourage people to buy tickets to Charlton and support the club.

Reagrds
    Ian Hartley

Good luck getting a reply!
  • Sponsored links:

• I've registered to buy and print tickets online .. if I recall I was not asked to supply my CON number when I did so, I might be wrong there ..
    I have just successfully printed a ticket for the Blades game at the end of the month .. question is .. what's preventing me from printing a few extra tickets ? Is it the unique bar code that will slam the turnstile shut if it smells a duplicate ?..
    I'm sure something like this (printing duplicates) happened at Oxford when it seems a lot of herberts got in with moody/forged tickets
  • edited November 2016

I've registered to buy and print tickets online .. if I recall I was not asked to supply my CON number when I did so, I might be wrong there ..
    I have just successfully printed a ticket for the Blades game at the end of the month .. question is .. what's preventing me from printing a few extra tickets ? Is it the unique bar code that will slam the turnstile shut if it smells a duplicate ?..
    I'm sure something like this (printing duplicates) happened at Oxford when it seems a lot of herberts got in with moody/forged tickets

They are QR codes aren't they - the square box things?

They were originally developed to track cars through the manufacturing process and are capable of incorporating a fair bit of data.
    I'd be amazed if they were not entirely unique..... but this is Charlton!
  • The first "bar coded" ticket is admitted and any photo copies are not.
  • You should have said you're a Spurs supporting cab driver.

The one new fan that Katrien has attracted to the Valley in two and a half years. Let's not mention the 4000+ she has managed to lose during the same period......

"If I am out of my depth, would I still be here?"

I'm not convinced that is so

Print me off one then Lincs ta :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

The first "bar coded" ticket is admitted and any photo copies are not.

just the one ?
  • RedChaser said:

just the one ?
    Good point, I need to check with number one son :wink: .
  • RedChaser said:

just the one ?
    Well, if you buy one and print off 24,000 copied we'll fill the home ends and have a proper protest.