Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Refusal to sell tickets to non members

Apparently a guy I know, aged 74, went along to the Chesterfield game and tried to buy himself and his grandson tickets for the match. Apparently he was refused as he wasn't a member and couldn't produce a membership number. He went home, probably never to come back.
Is this the general policy now?

Comments

• Laughable, turning money away.
  • edited November 2016
    RedPanda said:

A friend got me a Gillingham ticket. I have a CON & I've been to other aways this season but not registered them. Therefore they asked him questions about me and checked my record from past seasons(!).

They really do make it difficult to support this club in every way they can. All a part of the fan experience I guess.

Had the same problem the other season for priority tickets based on away matches attended. Fortunately the person I dealt with at the ticket office window took a practical view and accepted my ticket stubs, most of which had been bought by me from the club, as sufficient evidence and updated their records. Not so sure with the turnover of staff whether the customer is uppermost in their thoughts any more.
  • RedChaser said:

RedPanda said:

A friend got me a Gillingham ticket. I have a CON & I've been to other aways this season but not registered them. Therefore they asked him questions about me and checked my record from past seasons(!).

They really do make it difficult to support this club in every way they can. All a part of the fan experience I guess.

Had the same problem the other season for priority tickets based on away matches attended. Fortunately the person I dealt with at the ticket office window took a practical view and accepted my ticket stubs, most of which had been bought by me from the club, as sufficient evidence and updated their records.
    This was with the tickets on final sale. For priority they used to even let you use pre-season away stubs. That was proper customer service.
  • This whole thing about restricted sale, previous away games, membership etc is an utter joke. It works for clubs like Liverpool and Tottenham because their games do sell out quickly for highly anticipated fixtures. When was the last time we were remotely close to capacity? Or the last time tickets sold out within the day of release? (Excluding the Palace away fixture last year)

A common sense approach should apply. Restrict sale to season ticket holders for the first 24 hours, then no restrictions after that.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016

Glory hunter....where was he when we were shit lolz

Spot on Rodders, sounds like an apologist to me as well, as if we haven't got enough of those :wink: .

• I sincerely hope this was some kind of misunderstanding, although it's hard to see how.

Please tell the gentleman not to give up on us. I would be delighted to have him and his grandson as my guests at a forthcoming match.

From what he said it is hard to see it was a misunderstanding. I am going to email the club to get their reaction to this. It would be nice if they would make some sort of gesture.
    However thank you for your kind offer which I will pass onto him.
    The ironic thing is we had 2 spare tickets for Saturday which went unused.
  • Quite ridiculous when you'd think the club would be grateful for as many people turning up as possible.
  • Simple really, the ground was full. ;)
  • A feather in the caps for target 20k
  • I bought two tickets and used both. One for £20 in cheap block, then a £1 KfaQ 'upgrade' to the posh seats.
  • I was asked for my red card number when I turned up to buy. I had no idea whether or not I even had/have one but gave them name and address and I guess they found me as I was a season ticket holder last year.

I then asked if there was a price differential between north upper and lower and was asked which I wanted to sit in, I said which ever is cheaper and was told they were the same cost so went upper. Not sure why they had been reluctant to give me the price of both to start with given there is not differential anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2016
    He was Belgian20

Banned.

Well he looked like one of them according to the COOs dodgy photos.
  • Sounds more like a staff training issue than policy. Remember they have to use casual staff on matchdays.
  • 74 you say? Doesn't fit the demographic profile

• I sincerely hope this was some kind of misunderstanding, although it's hard to see how.

Please tell the gentleman not to give up on us. I would be delighted to have him and his grandson as my guests at a forthcoming match.

Is there no end to your sadistic cruelty?
  • Happened to me last season as I could not prove I was a fan. I emailed the club a stack of old ticket stubs (dating back to the 1990s) various letters to me from the club, and old share certificate, old season tickets etc but apparently that was still not enough to allow me the honour of attending.
  • I remember you posting about that at the time. Seemed wrong then as well.
  • mogodon said:

Happened to me last season as I could not prove I was a fan. I emailed the club a stack of old ticket stubs (dating back to the 1990s) various letters to me from the club, and old share certificate, old season tickets etc but apparently that was still not enough to allow me the honour of attending.

While still daft wasn't that a restricted sale match, the opposition having sold out? Hard to see why you'd turn anyone away from buying for this fixture.
  • Sounds more like a staff training issue than policy. Remember they have to use casual staff on matchdays.

They HAVE to use casual staff on matchdays??
  • This must have been a mistake as there was a video of a West Ham fan who just turned up and bought a ticket for this match so dont see why this gent was refused

I didn't want to come across as to paranoid in the thread about the West Ham fan, but the biggest question there was: for someone who has never been to The Valley before, why was he in a free seat?

After all, someone said that the clapper that he had was generally given away with the free seats..