Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Coventry 2016 post match views

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Is it nearly January yet so we can buy a new midfield?9
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

£400k for Kermorgant and similar for Dale Stephens , SOLD to that team
    £1.75m bid for Fox , NO DEAL

Wow just wow

I can't get my head round it either mate at £750k I'd have snatched their hands off for Fox never mind £1.75m.

Then there was Morro given away, some of the useless big money signings based on a computer geek's assessment now paid off whilst others sent out on loan. The crazy deals awarded to Rojo and Tex, all just mind blowing.

As the song goes 'she ain't got a clue'.
    All down to timing wasn't it, it would have left us with Chicksen as our only senior left back with no time to bring in a replacement.
  • Options
    The most bizzare thing for me was the protestors cheering the team on and celebrating the goals.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

The most bizzare thing for me was the protestors cheering the team on and celebrating the goals.

Why is that bizarre?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

RedChaser said:

Wow just wow

I can't get my head round it either mate at £750k I'd have snatched their hands off for Fox never mind £1.75m.

Then there was Morro given away, some of the useless big money signings based on a computer geek's assessment now paid off whilst others sent out on loan. The crazy deals awarded to Rojo and Tex, all just mind blowing.

All down to timing wasn't it, it would have left us with Chicksen as our only senior left back with no time to bring in a replacement.
    And stupidity.
  • Options

kentred2 said:

Why is that bizarre?
    It doesn't happen very often.
  • Options

kentred2 said:

Why is that bizarre?
    Team and regime are one. Cheer the goals and you are cheering Meire and Duchatalet. Any win prevents some joining the protests.
  • Options
    We played better and very good performances by Mcguiness and Rudd but Fox and Novak are poor poor players even at this level.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

kentred2 said:

kentred2 said:

Why is that bizarre?
    Team and regime are one. Cheer the goals and you are cheering Meire and Duchatalet. Any win prevents some joining the protests.
    But statistically the team seems to play better when there are anti-regime protests. It's almost as if the team and regime aren't one, isn't it ?
    Or the opposite. The regime and their team want to show all is ok more?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Scoham said:

RedChaser said:

Wow just wow

True but it didn't seem to bother her when she offloaded two goalkeepers in a matter of days not long before the Fox offer so the precedent was set for two LBs out the door.

Nah as Airman says stupidity ranks highly alongside. We'd have got by, there must have been another out of contract left back in addition to Chicksen looking for a club. Plenty of CBs on the books as well to make do meanwhile. Easy with hindsight but that was a no brainier IMO. I'd have cashed in. Anyway I'll be there tomorrow night and Foxy will get the same encouragement as the rest of the team from me.
  • Options
    (Haven't read the full thread yet)

Finally we start with two orthodox wingers and two more up front for a home game against lowly opposition, and despite the understandable gaps it left, we won an open enjoyable game, scoring three goals. Of course there were concerns and the team sitting level on points with the relegation places before ko weren't perfect, but surely this was more profitable and more enjoyable than playing three pedestrian midfielders to "keep it tight" against Oldham and Rochdale.

Once again the division looks fairly close with many teams of similar quality. Building from the back with clean sheets usually makes sense but if we accept that our chances of creating "Fortress Valley" with an impregnable defence and relentless wins to nil are already gone for this season, are we not better off taking the game to struggling visitors in the belief that we can simply out-score them? Surely the skill of Holmes and Lookie coupled with the muscle and workrate of Magennis are enough to trouble most defences in the third division?

Teams make the play-offs now having lost up to ten games a season but that has to be balanced by wins, not steady tentative draws. There will always be games where we need to shut up shop and steal a point but why against visiting teams low on confidence? Get on the front foot and see if they can live with it. We're sure to get found out sometimes; out-thought tactically, missed chances etc. but looking at the bigger picture I think most of us left who still care would rather see the kind of entertaining spectacle we saw on Saturday that could've finished 5-2 or 2-3, than a turgid attempt to hold on to a 1-0. We're not going to grind our way to the top two now but we could still scrape a play off place with a combination of wins and inevitable defeats.

Finally, well done Cov fans, and good luck in your own off-field campaign.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    We off-loaded three goalkeepers in the window. Dmitrov was only on loan at Alcoran.
  • Options
    Pink Piggies: flight of fabulousness

Rudd: kept Charlton in the game either side of half time for 20 minutes in 2nd half was the boy with his finger in the dyke
    Solly:
    Fox: Coventry singled him out for pressure and rightly so cos he stank, as bad as even he has ever managed
    Pearce:
    Bauer:
    Holmes:
    Ulvestad: quietly effective and encouragingly found a few key passes
    Crofts: a dozen games in and he's not showing many signs of adequacy
    Lookman: able, willing, spirited, despite still being out of position, good goal, horrible miss
    Magennis: if the rest put in half his effort with half his efficacy we'd romp the division by 10 points He is the paragon of what a Charlton footballer should be
    Novak: fat, slow, indecisive, ineffective

Jackson even in his miniscule cameo he was relentlessly negative, declined the positive option every time

Slade: slightly better initial selection but his halftime team talk resulted in 20 minutes of urgently seeking defeat to the worst team we've seen at the Valley in a generation, what the fuck did he say? Substitutions not quite as baffling as the last couple of matches but what did he see in Novak's performance to keep him on for so long?
    His cocky post match interview made me seethe, him still saying "it takes time" ffs a quarter of the season has passed and the team's just shown the first glimmers of cohesion, I'm not sure he has half a clue but we're stuck with him. It comes to something when a fuckwit manager isn't the worst problem with how the club's run.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

satsuma27 said:

It was a scrappy match.I thought Fox got sucked into the centre of defence too much,which gave their winger plenty of space to exploit and put crosses in,which luckily they didn't have the wit to put in the net.Maginnis was a real pest to their defence all afternoon and did well.Lookman started well but faded,he seemed to lose some confidence as the game progressed.Rudd is a good goalie.Im going to get pelters on here,but as a relatively new supporter I cant understand the hatred towards the owners this season,last season they were clueless,but this season they've got an experienced English manager and brought good standard( for league 1) players,the ticket prices are reasonable, especially for London.If we get rid of the Belgium then what's to say the next owner won't be worse.Ive probably not got a clue,so educate me please.

I hate to break it to you, but they are still clueless.

The experienced English manager was one scrapped from the bottom of a barrel. The good standard of players have gotten us to the dizzy heights of 15 place in League 1.

I honestly think you would struggle to get worse
    owner that the current one.

He hired Slade because he doesn't get promoted and doesn't get relegated.
    Roland see's our future as a League 1 club.

Duchatelet is the 3rd worse owner ?

The Coventry boys convinced me on the Train that their Hedge fund owner is the worse.
    The Blackpool Fans may well disagree.
  • Options
    Paddy7 said:

(Haven't read the full thread yet)

Finally we start with two orthodox wingers and two more up front for a home game against lowly opposition, and despite the understandable gaps it left, we won an open enjoyable game, scoring three goals. Of course there were concerns and the team sitting level on points with the relegation places before ko weren't perfect, but surely this was more profitable and more enjoyable than playing three pedestrian midfielders to "keep it tight" against Oldham and Rochdale.

Once again the division looks fairly close with many teams of similar quality. Building from the back with clean sheets usually makes sense but if we accept that our chances of creating "Fortress Valley" with an impregnable defence and relentless wins to nil are already gone for this season, are we not better off taking the game to struggling visitors in the belief that we can simply out-score them? Surely the skill of Holmes and Lookie coupled with the muscle and workrate of Magennis are enough to trouble most defences in the third division?

Teams make the play-offs now having lost up to ten games a season but that has to be balanced by wins, not steady tentative draws. There will always be games where we need to shut up shop and steal a point but why against visiting teams low on confidence? Get on the front foot and see if they can live with it. We're sure to get found out sometimes; out-thought tactically, missed chances etc. but looking at the bigger picture I think most of us left who still care would rather see the kind of entertaining spectacle we saw on Saturday that could've finished 5-2 or 2-3, than a turgid attempt to hold on to a 1-0. We're not going to grind our way to the top two now but we could still scrape a play off place with a combination of wins and inevitable defeats.

Finally, well done Cov fans, and good luck in your own off-field campaign.

100% agree and said the same after the last home game.