Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Coventry 2016 post match views

Comments

• Options
    Just got home, slightly pissed but happy.
    Not read what's been posted but here's my take on it.
    Rudd brilliant
    Big man up front brilliant
    Fox shite
    Win on Tuesday and we go to pikeyland in top half. COYR
  • Options
    The match today was always going to be the side show.
    Not sure how the score line flattered us when we missed at least 3 sitters ?
    I will always support the team when i see the like of Josh and Ricky give 100% from 1st whistle to last.
    Rudd is a good standard Championship keeper.
    Today was the 1st time, Novak apart when the other team didn't look fitter than us. why has it taken 12 matches to get to optimum fitness ?
    Fred Ulvestad had his best game for CAFC and is shaking off the rust after playing so few games in the last year.
    We looked like a mid table League 1 side today so we are improving at last.

Roland Out.
    Don't sell to SISU, or else
    Roland In!
  • Options
    Can't believe so happy we beat team bottom of the league- but we did and we move on.We should have enough Quality to be much higher than what we are.Rudd make some great saves at important times and Lookman should have had a brace but we won and now need to bulild on this.As usual great to see the old faces and Martin a blast from the past.See you all at Gills
  • Options
    Great reporting from Football on 5's Goal Rush

Apparently the Referee took the players off for 6mins whilst Lookman is an England U21 International
  • Options

Rudd brilliant
    Fox shite

Fox is having to cover the huge gap that's being left by Lookman and the opposition are exploiting
    Have to disagree he's shite full stop
  • Options

Apparently the Referee took the players off for 6mins whilst Lookman is an England U21 International

How did they fit that all in in 2.45 secs?
  • Options
    Or, of course, 3000 T-shirts with the North Korean flag emblazoned on them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rudd brilliant
    Fox shite

Fox is having to cover the huge gap that's being left by Lookman and the opposition are exploiting
    Have to disagree he's shite full stop
    No problem, everyone is entitled to their opinion except that I'm right on this one. Unless Russell sorts it out first, next match watch how when Lookman drifts inside and if we lose the ball the opposition puts a player in the wide open space he has left behind. Fox is then drawn out to cover a player Lookman should have been covering and once Fox moves to try and intercept the threat our left back cover is gone. Every opposition manager sees it and exploits it. If we want to give Lookman a licence to use what space he wants then we probably need to push Fox forward to fill the gap each time and the rest of the back line needs to stretch itself so that somebody is close enough to cover any threat to the left back's sector.
    You sound like glenn hoddle. I agree though by the way
  • Options
    My 4th game this season, only one I've enjoyed. The others have been Northampton, Wimbledon and Rochdale. Protest made a big difference if only it could happen every game. Coventry looked a bit like we did in those games - some nice play but no finishing and when they did shoot on target they came up against Rudd having an excellent game, Pleased we won but did feel we were not as convincing as a 3-0 scoreline suggests.
    Not going to get carried away by this result.
    Thought the Coventry fans were great and suitably loud. Impressive and I hope they see the end of Sisu as owners before they fall any further.
  • Options
    Absolutely right about Fox and Lookman, Mr letthegoodtimesroll. Fox getting abuse for other player's weakness.
  • Options
    Fox is shit.cant run pass tackle jump mark or head a ball all you need to a footballer
  • Options
    My thoughts/memories of the day for what they are worth;

>Magennis the magnificent... enough said!!

>Slade needs to man up! Going back to 4-5-1 to try to protect a 1-0 lead. Will he ever grow a pair??

>Coventry fans were immense. Kept up protest singing throughout both for their cause and ours. As for us, am I the only one who thought our vocal protests were a bit weak by comparison? Maybe easier to maintain as the away team and getting beat on the pitch!

>Lookmans skinning of 2/3 players at a time on numerous occasions was delightful to watch although more end product wouldn't go amiss

>Novak was poor and acted disgracefully when he failed to control Lookmans pass purely cos he couldn't sort his feet out maybe just a case of frustration at his own performance

>loved it when Ricky was waiting for the ball to be returned from the west stand and someone threw a pig instead which he skilfully volleyed back

>best I've seen from Freddie. Won a lot of ball, moved about quickly and had an eye for a pass

>thought Fox was good defensively today but still had a few "foxisms" going forward
  • Options

Missed It said:

3 points but not getting carried away. Coventry are dead last in this league for a reason. Was dismayed that Slade went to 5 in midfield with 20 minutes to go. Someone needs to stop Lookman's taking corners and free kicks too

Absolutely spot on about RS going to 5 in midfield and Lookman taking corners. Can't someone sit on him when we get a corner so someone else can take it?.
    surely the corner taking is down to the management or dont they practice it during training
  • Options

Missed It said:

3 points but not getting carried away. Coventry are dead last in this league for a reason. Was dismayed that Slade went to 5 in midfield with 20 minutes to go. Someone needs to stop Lookman's taking corners and free kicks too

Absolutely spot on about RS going to 5 in midfield and Lookman taking corners. Can't someone sit on him when we get a corner so someone else can take it?.
    surely the corner taking is down to the management or dont they practice it during training
    Does it look like Lookman practices taking corners and free kicks ?
  • Options
    Too drunk to try and analyse the finer points.
    Basically, what was the ideal opponent for Charlton in their present state?: -
    1. A team that tries to play football but is shit at it.
    2. A team that tries to play football and is actually pretty good.
    3. A team that parks the bus and says okay what have you got.

Yay, thanks Coventry, literally my number 1 opponent.
    Only, up 'til now we have been making a pigs ear of dealing with type 3's.

Actually quite enjoyed the game compared to recent shit, and I don't just mean the scoreline.
    Special mention to Josh Magennis who I thought epitomised what it is to wear the shirt with pride.
    Never stopped running, made things happen and scored a deserved goal.

I'll wait until after Port Vale and Gillingham to judge whether we have turned a corner.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Josh Magennis is suberb. He sprinted to the corner to close down a defender, muscled two opponents off the ball, passed to Lookman six yards out - who skied it over the bar.

That is inexcusable. Lookman fluffed four corners against Rochdale two weeks ago, took them again today - and dribbled at the first defender. It's an unspeakable waste.

Our midfield is empty - vacuous and vapid - such that after 45 minutes the whole Valley was asleep. That's the coaching at Sparrows Lane for you. Coventry came out fighting: sharp, quick, urgent.

We won because Magennis chased the ball in a cul-de-sac; hustled and harried the defender, seized possession and muscled in to the box. He did that twice, all on his own: fought and won. Our third goal was from Magennis himself - lovely anticipation and slammed past the keeper.

Ricky Holmes is our best player. He has fire in his veins: searching and probing, running to receive, popping up on the left, darting off to the right, bursting through to shoot.

Lookman misses again. That is why we are in the Third Division.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016

Missed It said:

I'd rather he took corners than he be under Novaks arse
  • Options
    First sight of the managerial and player recruitment of the summer. Apart from Rudd all new staff playing at their right level of lower league 1. So got to give them credit for winning a match.
  • Options

How did they fit that all in in 2.45 secs?
    To be fair they gave it decent coverage including the march coming down Floyd Rd

• Options
    PWR

Much better result and a more attacking and balanced line up.
    Freddie in the more advanced role gave us more especially late on as Cov chased the game.

Thought Cov tried to press us high as Rochdale did but fell behind and we're poor at the back.

Lookman in the middle please.

Rudd had a great game . It would be easy to just see the 3 - 0 and forget how close the game was and how many chances they had.

Differences was we scored first and they hit the post. Small margins.

Big Mak was awesome but we had Holmes first goal and 2 nil!!!!!!!

Shocking miss from Lookman. Hope the scouts saw that one.

When was the last time we won a Saturday league home game?

And did we protest?

• Options

PWR

Much better result and a more attacking and balanced line up.
    Freddie in the more advanced role gave us more especially late on as Cov chased the game.

Thought Cov tried to press us high as Rochdale did but fell behind and we're poor at the back.

Lookman in the middle please.

Rudd had a great game . It would be easy to just see the 3 - 0 and forget how close the game was and how many chances they had.

Differences was we scored first and they hit the post. Small margins.

Big Mak was awesome but we had Holmes first goal and 2 nil!!!!!!!

Shocking miss from Lookman. Hope the scouts saw that one.

When was the last time we won a Saturday league home game?

And did we protest?

had to look that one up 2nd April v Birmingham.
  • Options
    cazo said:

Fox is shit.cant run pass tackle jump mark or head a ball all you need to a footballer

Totally agree. What some posters on here are suggesting is that lookman was leaving him exposed and it's not his fault. The trouble is though that it doesn't matter who plays in front of him on the left he still makes the same mistakes. He just cannot read the game and is constantly cought out