Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

new york tips

13»

Comments

• Options
    Hotel was nice though (New Yorker)
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Sorry, but what is so great about Central Park or going up the Empire State Building? To be honest, what is so great about New York that can't be found in central London? And I hate having to walk around central London.
    I thought manhatton was a piss hole with nothing of note worth visiting.
    Perhaps madison square gardens for a decent sporting event, or tour.
    London has its fair share of down and outs, manhatton is full of them.
    Sorry, but not for me.

Ground zero isn't in London, Grand Central Station isn't in London, Tribeca isn't in London, Greenwich Village isn't in London (well not that one anyway!), Central Park isn't in London, don't recall the Brooklyn Bridge straddling the Thames et al...

I agree about London and in my view it's the greatest city on earth. But New York runs it a very close second.

But if it aint your bag then sobeit.
    Grand central - kings X St Pancreas
    Greenwich village - Shoreditch
    Central Park - Hyde/Regent/Green/St James park.
    Brooklyn bridge- take your pick.
    it's about as fascinating as the Dartford crossing
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Sorry, but what is so great about Central Park or going up the Empire State Building? To be honest, what is so great about New York that can't be found in central London? And I hate having to walk around central London.
    Sorry, but not for me.

Ground zero isn't in London, Grand Central Station isn't in London, Tribeca isn't in London, Greenwich Village isn't in London (well not that one anyway!), Central Park isn't in London, don't recall the Brooklyn Bridge straddling the Thames et al...

I agree about London and in my view it's the greatest city on earth. But New York runs it a very close second.

thing is with the Americans .. they are experts at portraying and marketing a sow's ear as a silk purse ((:>)
  • Options
    Lombardi's pizza, Brooklyn Brewery Tour (it's not a tour, it's a chance to get drunk), wandering around Greenwich Village, The Blind Tiger pub, Other Half Brewing taproom (Brooklyn), Top of the Rock, Spotted Pig Pub, any deli, see if you can get tkts to go inside the crown of the Empire State (likely sold out but try), discount Abercrombie & Fitch shopping at South St Sea Port (if you're in to that...)...awesome place, have fun...
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Sorry, but not for me.

thing is with the Americans .. they are experts at portraying and marketing a sow's ear as a silk purse ((:>)
    Says the man who chose to live in Lincolnshire.
  • Options
    I would recommend lombardis Pizza as well.
  • Options

Sorry, but not for me.

It was about atmosphere for me. Pretty much every city in the world, certainly in the developed world, has museums and parks and places of architectural interest. Only a few cities have a totally unique 'feel' to them though. London has one. Paris has one. I haven't been, but I very much imagine Rome has one. New York most certainly has one. One of the things I enjoyed most of all from my trip was just walking around and soaking in the atmosphere.

Its a busy, bustling, impatient place and I can see why it might not strike a chord with everyone. Much as I loved it I think living on Manhattan would finish me off well before my time, but every street feels like a movie set, like you've somehow been there before even though you know you haven't, and New Yorkers are their own particular breed, just like Londoners and Parisians are.

On top of that it has some of the most iconic buildings in the world, some of the best museums in the world, some of the best restaurants, world class sporting events and as high a concentration of such top quality events and attractions as you will find anywhere.

No one says you have to like it of course, not for you then fair enough but I'd go back there in a heartbeat and plan to do so at least a couple more times while I am able.
    A perfect description of New York if I may say so.

I could live in Manhattan though - for a couple of years perhaps.

P.S. Yes Rome has its own unique feel.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Lived there three years until I left last September. As much as I love where I am now, I miss it every day.

For non-touristy things for a tourist to do; one of the best things about NYC is its Speakeasys (Speakeasies?) AKA Hidden bars throughout the city: https://www.thrillist.com/drink/new-york/secret-nyc-bar-speakeasy-hidden

Oh and for the best view of the city, head over to Long Island City on the 7 - one stop from Grand Central - walk to Gantry State Park, right at the foot of the Coca Cola sign. There's a great little brewery over there, too, called Rockaway Brewery.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gantry+state+park+view&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje0PHhisLPAhUMwiYKHSukDQIQ_AUICCgB&biw=1280&bih=958

Also, there are a few bars that show footy, but the one that always impressed my friends the most was Football Factory (aka Legends) just south of Bryant Park. They show every game they can - usually a few championship games, all the prem games, bundesliga, etc etc so head there at 10am on a saturday for a few early pints
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Football+Factory/@40.7544,-73.9895415,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x4429422427fcbdf!8m2!3d40.7544!4d-73.9895415

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Also I agree with going Top of the Rock instead of Empire State Building. Top of World Trade Center also has a great view, obviously, but I love seeing Central Park as the sun sets - which you can only get from the Rock.
  • Options
    Best tip is don't log on and find out how Charlton got on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not if you are going in until after Roland does one.
  • Options
    thanks all much appreciated
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Don't list to anyone else's tips, discover that amazing city on your own.

yeah i am but always good to hear peoples thoughts
  • Options
    @Darty Valiant

this thread has more tips on
  • Options
    Wander around. Make up a walk from songs of an artist you like. There is a great Ryan Adams walk.
    Central Park and highline
    Go to the 9/11 museum
    Great cheap food at whole foods where they have seats especially overlooking Bryant Park
  • Options
    New Yorker big but ok, ate out all the time.
  • Options
    Stayed at Andaz hotel on 5th - just opposite Bryant Park last time I was there. Nice hotel.

I fucking love NY. I’ve probably been about a dozen times but always want to return.
  • Options

+1 for the Highline.

We went up the Rockefeller meaning you get to look at the empire state instead of out from it. DId the Sun and Starts tour so you can go up during the day and then get in again later after dark to see the skyline all lit up. Book ahead to skip the queues.

Chelsea Market if you're a foodie - awesome seafood and chowders. Accessible on foot from the Highline.

9/11 Monument is fantastic, although I was irritated by the number of people who treated it like a tourist attraction and not a memorial to the 000s of people who died there.

We also did the downtown one of these and really enjoyed. A different and fun way to see some of the city. There is a Greenwich version as well.

https://www.accomplicetheshow.com/

Download a map to your google maps app so you access it without using data and just wander around soaking up the atmosphere and checking out the crazies.

Get your lunch in one of the many the deli's - oads of great food for pretty cheap.

Ha! This post is almost exactly what I wrote on the other thread - if I was a tour guide I'd be the Chris Solly of tour guides, Mr Consistency.
  • Options
    Spent all my life watching yankee films shows etc never thought I’d ever go there so when I was given the chance for my 60th birthday present I couldn’t wait. I thought it was a fantastic place. Had a great time.
  • Options
    O'hara's close to The 911 memorial and the world Trade Centre is a great Irish pub. Plus one of the only places we found that did proper pints . We got a New York City pass which is a good idea if you want to go to The major sites. Grand Central station Is also good and free. Plus Walking over Brooklyn bridge is good if you got time