Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

new york tips

Comments

• Options
    I was going to say go to Hoboken, but perhaps not by train. It is where frank Sinatra was born. It does have some good bars, quite a college feel. Obviously Greenwich village is a must. Times Square is interesting as you just come upon it. Looks better in films
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    McBobbin said:

We stumbled across a really cool Blues club on Bleaker Street. Cant be any more specific than that!

The Guggenheim museum isn't all that good

I think it was in an Italian restaurant on bleaker, possibly last year, where the waiters were actually from Italy and we got talking about football when one of them asked me who I support. Here we go I thought and replied Charlton Athletic fully expecting the usual blank stare when one of them quickly responds, 'they play in red'.
  • Options
    Fly with Aer Lingus and clear U.S immigration in either Dublin or Shannon, beating the queues when you land.
  • Options

Fly with Aer Lingus and clear U.S immigration in either Dublin or Shannon, beating the queues when you land.

This sounds like a good idea. Ryanair return to Shannon from Gatwick is very cheap, and Shannon airport is nice and laid back.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

This sounds like a good idea. Ryanair return to Shannon from Gatwick is very cheap, and Shannon airport is nice and laid back.
    Shannon Airport, the home of the Irish coffee.
  • Options
    Just want to second that the view from the top of the Rockefeller Centre beats the one from the Empire State Building and doesn't have the same wait to get up there.
  • Options

Just want to second that the view from the top of the Rockefeller Centre beats the one from the Empire State Building and doesn't have the same wait to get up there.

......and you can't get a photo of the ESB from the viewing platform of the ESB.

Top of the rock is the best platform for viewing downtown and the park.
  • Options
    Grand central station is good for cheap eating on the go in the great area below the main lobby.
  • Options
    This place for food , loved it .

http://virgilsbbq.com
  • Options

I did this too. Agree, great way to get into the US
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I agree with @BDL, if you are looking for a skyline view, don't go up Empire State, go up the rock.

If you are in the park, and it's sunny, I would recommend rowing a boat around the lake.

My favourite art is in th Frick museum just off the east side of the park I can't remember the street number.

Greenwich village for music still.

The view from the rock is better but when he gets back most people are going to ask him if he went up the Empire State Building, hardly anybody will ask if he went up the rock. He is going to feel he missed out.
    Why will he? I went up the Rock and certainly didn't feel like I missed out. In fact most people we spoke to over there suggested we do that!
  • Options

I agree with @BDL, if you are looking for a skyline view, don't go up Empire State, go up the rock.

If you are in the park, and it's sunny, I would recommend rowing a boat around the lake.

My favourite art is in th Frick museum just off the east side of the park I can't remember the street number.

The view from the rock is better but when he gets back most people are going to ask him if he went up the Empire State Building, hardly anybody will ask if he went up the rock. He is going to feel he missed out.
    Why will he? I went up the Rock and certainly didn't feel like I missed out. In fact most people we spoke to over there suggested we do that!
    So are you saying you went to New York and didn't go up the Empire State Building ?
  • Options
    I went up the Rockefeller building and you get to see the Empire State in all it's glory.
    Do both maybe.
    One of the best things for me was talking to New Yorkers, mind you I have a big mouth and talk to anybody, but I loved their phraseology and accent.
  • Options
    It's easier to buy drugs in Greenwich than it is in Harlem
  • Options
    The bomb site at the twin towers museum thing is worth a visit.

I'd go on an open top bus ride but probably not the bus that goes to Brooklyn unless you have loads of time.
  • Options

So are you saying you went to New York and didn't go up the Empire State Building ?
    It would appear so, wouldn't it? And yet I still manage to sleep at night!
  • Options
    Gramercy tavern for dinner.

• Options
    I went there it was very good.
  • Options

I did both.
  • Options
    Central Park is a must, Carnegie's deli really close to the Park, for a great lunch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Onlyme said:

Central Park is a must, Carnegie's deli really close to the Park, for a great lunch.

Apparently closing at the end of the year.

Another one here for the Top of the Rock, much less crowded than the ESB, but we did do both. It is a pity that the Chrysler Building can't be visited.

We had dinner here on my Birthday (one of the best Steaks I've had): wolfgangssteakhouse.net/parkave/

I loved New York, it's a great City.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Onlyme said:

this .. Central Park .. the size of a smallish EEC nation ((:>) .. could spend a week discovering this place alone and the immaculate streets around
  • Options
    Lots of good places to eat on Amsterdam Ave which is a few blocks west of Central Park. Cafe Lalo is around there too - great for cakes and was one of the locations they shot "You've got Mail".

Don't be afraid to use the Subway to get around, I felt safe even late at night, especially in Manhattan.
  • Options
    I went on a fantastic jazz tour of Harlem, can't recommend it enough. http://www.bigapplejazz.com/
  • Options
    Sorry, but what is so great about Central Park or going up the Empire State Building? To be honest, what is so great about New York that can't be found in central London? And I hate having to walk around central London.
    I thought manhatton was a piss hole with nothing of note worth visiting.
    Perhaps madison square gardens for a decent sporting event, or tour.
    London has its fair share of down and outs, manhatton is full of them.
    Sorry, but not for me.
  • Options
    Just to add, was with family (two children).
    Think Toronto was a lot cleaner and pleasant.
  • Options

Sorry, but what is so great about Central Park or going up the Empire State Building? To be honest, what is so great about New York that can't be found in central London? And I hate having to walk around central London.
    Sorry, but not for me.

Ground zero isn't in London, Grand Central Station isn't in London, Tribeca isn't in London, Greenwich Village isn't in London (well not that one anyway!), Central Park isn't in London, don't recall the Brooklyn Bridge straddling the Thames et al...

I agree about London and in my view it's the greatest city on earth. But New York runs it a very close second.

But if it aint your bag then sobeit.
  • Options

Sorry, but not for me.

It was about atmosphere for me. Pretty much every city in the world, certainly in the developed world, has museums and parks and places of architectural interest. Only a few cities have a totally unique 'feel' to them though. London has one. Paris has one. I haven't been, but I very much imagine Rome has one. New York most certainly has one. One of the things I enjoyed most of all from my trip was just walking around and soaking in the atmosphere.

Its a busy, bustling, impatient place and I can see why it might not strike a chord with everyone. Much as I loved it I think living on Manhattan would finish me off well before my time, but every street feels like a movie set, like you've somehow been there before even though you know you haven't, and New Yorkers are their own particular breed, just like Londoners and Parisians are.

On top of that it has some of the most iconic buildings in the world, some of the best museums in the world, some of the best restaurants, world class sporting events and as high a concentration of such top quality events and attractions as you will find anywhere.

No one says you have to like it of course, not for you then fair enough but I'd go back there in a heartbeat and plan to do so at least a couple more times while I am able.
  • Options
    Perhaps as a couple I would go again, but not as a family.
    If I did though, it would be a stopover to somewhere else.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Sorry, but not for me.

Ground zero isn't in London, Grand Central Station isn't in London, Tribeca isn't in London, Greenwich Village isn't in London (well not that one anyway!), Central Park isn't in London, don't recall the Brooklyn Bridge straddling the Thames et al...

I agree about London and in my view it's the greatest city on earth. But New York runs it a very close second.

But if it aint your bag then sobeit.
    Grand central - kings X St Pancreas
    Greenwich village - Shoreditch
    Central Park - Hyde/Regent/Green/St James park.
    Brooklyn bridge- take your pick.