Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whisky

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Mrs Plum has returned from Scotland and kindly brought home a bottle of 12 year old Glendronach.
    Never seen or heard of it before.
    Any comments?
    Not had it for a while,.but remember it as a decent Highland malt. Just looked it up and it's finished in a sherry cask, so will give it a bit of sweetness and character. Enjoy!
  • Options
    About 25 years ago I bought a bottle of Rosebank 12YO as the distillery had been closed.  Lovely, lightly aromatic lowland whisky.  I liked it so much I went back to the shop and picked up another three bottles.  Believe it or not I still have one of them left.  I'm staggered to see how much they sell for now,  £350+ at auction, £500 retail.  Does this make it too valuable to open, or should I do the decent thing  :) ?

• Options
    About 25 years ago I bought a bottle of Rosebank 12YO as the distillery had been closed.  Lovely, lightly aromatic lowland whisky.  I liked it so much I went back to the shop and picked up another three bottles.  Believe it or not I still have one of them left.  I'm staggered to see how much they sell for now,  £350+ at auction, £500 retail.  Does this make it too valuable to open, or should I do the decent thing  :) ?

One to drink, one to share and one to keep.
  • Options

One to drink, one to share and one to keep.
    perhaps a change in this bottle's status (one to keep) might happen soon......
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Rosebank is banging. When I worked in the whisky pub my manager wrote a bottle off for the two of us to share. Safe to say we got hammered and he got fired. Good times. 
  • Options
    Bushmill original 1ltr £11.95 Faro duty free, got 4 ltrs as they did not have any Writers tears.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Got these bad boys for my birthday to add to the collection.
    Aberlour is currently my favourite tipple, but the Bunnahabhain is also up there.
    I’m a sucker for Islay malts and am just in the process of finish off an 11 year old Laphroaig, which was a special bottling to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Friends of Laphoaig. Very peaty and very smoky, just how I like ‘em!
  • Options
    My tennis club gave me a 12 year old bottle of Glenfiddich last week. Much appreciated. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Currently have this at work, not a bad dram, apparently The Glenturret is the oldest working distillery in Scotland
  • Options
    Stone fruit, vanilla, tobacco and toasted oak on the nose

Ripe fruit, tobacco smoke, spicy ginger biscuits and a sweetness on the palate

Lingering spice and smoke on the finish, with stone fruit sweetness

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Got a lagavulin 16 en route. You simply cannot argue with that whisky :)
    The best! 

Love the bunnahahain as well! Underrated and wem priced. 

• Options
    2121 said:
    McBobbin said:
    Got a lagavulin 16 en route. You simply cannot argue with that whisky :)
    The best! 

Love the bunnahahain as well! Underrated and wem priced. 

Unusual for an Islay in not being peated but none the worse for it, an excellent whisky. They have a funny distillery as well, looks like it's in a council estate.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Got these bad boys for my birthday to add to the collection.
    I like Dalmore as a 'sipping' whisky.  Sweet and easy on the pallet.  I don't have any at the moment, it's been a long time since I've been able to visit an airport duty free....
  • Options
    Agree about the Dalmore.
    Have two bottles lined up for when I finish my Talisker,
    My taste has moved from almost exclusively Isley and Talisker to searching out good quality Speyside.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    seth plum said:
    Agree about the Dalmore.
    My taste has moved from almost exclusively Isley and Talisker to searching out good quality Speyside

Not always easy to find,.but longmorn is a very good Speyside
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Agree about the Dalmore.
    My taste has moved from almost exclusively Isley and Talisker to searching out good quality Speyside.
    For speysides I loved 

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/63855/aberlour-abunadh-batch-71 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    EastStand said:
    seth plum said:
    Agree about the Dalmore.
    For speysides I loved 

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/63855/aberlour-abunadh-batch-71 

I was supposed to be visiting Aberlour and Balvennie in January, but it's not looking too likely now.
    :-(
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    seth plum said:
    Agree about the Dalmore.

Dalmore is King as far as I'm concerned. It's a Highland though, not a Speyside.

Talisker is the work of the Devil - I hate it.
  • Options
    Just had this turn up at my house. Looks good.

• Options
    Give or take dalmore, but I had a 62 year old one once (worth the price of having to drink some Whyte & Makay first) and that was very nice,.if somewhat out my price range!
  • Options
    I was gifted a 25 year old Laphroaig which I'm saving for Christmas day. Do like a drop of Laphroaig.

Currently sipping on a johnnie walker Green after a finishing my Ardbeg last night.
  • Options
    Just poured myself a Dalmore 12. Very Christmassy.
  • Options
    Just had this turn up at my house. Looks good.

Enjoy, that is a lovely whiskey, I always have at least one in my cabinet.
  • Options
    Not Whisky, but just got given this American version.
    Any good?

• Options
    Yes that's decent, Seth. Probably the best selling bourbon in the US - way above Jack.

I've always got a bottle in the collection (not the small batch though which should be v good).