Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best sports film

Apologies if this has been done before, but after watching Moneyball the other day I am convinced its one of the best sports film I have ever seen. Admittedly there are some rotten films in the genre though, and the sports scenes themselves can often be poor.

Which sports films do you rate?

Comments

• Next Goal Wins - A documentary on the worst team in football (Yes, their is one worse than us)
  • Rocky
    Raging Bull
    The Hustler
    Fever Pitch
  • Moneyball works really well because they don't have to depict much of the actual sport itself, which is where a lot of films fall down. Especially football films. Play-by-play American sports are easier to shoot and than football. Baseball especially.

The Damned United is one of my favourites, thought Tom Hooper did a great job with the limited football action in that. Stylistically very different to Moneyball and felt like an artist's impression of what events were really like.

Rocky is hard to beat but Creed has some of the best boxing scenes, really well shot and presented in-context for added realism. Southpaw has great boxing action but is a forgettable movie. Raging Bull doesn't feel like a sports movie to me.

If I had to choose just one movie to take with me to a desert island, it would be Escape To Victory. Or Teen Wolf.

• I enjoyed The Wrestler too if that counts.
  • I presume we aren't counting documentaries?

Moneyball is excellent. I'll nominate Slapshot, Rush, Remember the Titans and Any Given Sunday.
  • This Sporting Life is a personal favourite. The Rocky films entertain as 'feel good' stories.

Most are watchable even if just for comedic value.
  • Still love Escape to Victory and a hard to find one called Rudy.
  • Shaolin Soccer :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• I quite like Blind Side and Jerry Maguire
  • Jossy's Giants was the best TV show about sport.
  • Slapshot - there someone dressed as a Hanson at just about every game I go to.
  • Raging Bull is a classic film on every level.
  • Field of dreams. Escape to Victory. Isle of Man TT race. Senna.
  • Caddyshack? Kingpin? C'mon guys I'm losing respect here
  • edited September 2016
    Raging Bull
    Cinderella Man
    Escape to Victory
  • Cinderella man. Great boxing film about jimmy braddock.
  • tajaddick said:

Cinderella man. Great boxing film about jimmy braddock.

We posted that at the same time. Brilliant film. An all time favourite of mine
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016
    When we were kings
    Raging Bull
    Rocky IV
    Fire in Babylon
    TT3D:Closer to the edge
    Senna
    Grand Prix: The killer years
  • Chariots of Fire anyone?
  • Baseketball. Plucky underdogs fighting to keep greedy millionaire from ruining their club? It's CARD with South Park's humour.
  • Happy Gilmore...
  • Slapshot - there someone dressed as a Hanson at just about every game I go to.

Which one?
  • edited September 2016
    Aussie Rules film, The Club.
    Saw it as a stoned young man over thirty years ago. This thread inspired me to buy it just now from Amazon.
  • Raging Bull & Field of Dreams for me.
  • Blades of Glory is very funny.