Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland has now upset the Germans

13»

Comments

• Options

LuckyReds said:

Two interesting articles on www.otz.de (subject to mind-numbing Google Translate).

Without RD the club would have folded. Every season the structural deficit is too great. Unlike many similar clubs, however, FCC continue to spend on reserve/youth teams.

Many fans seem appreciative that RD continues to keep FCC on life-support, but what really gets them angry is that when things don't go his way RD immediately threatens to pull out. Not a comfortable situation.

Like a petulant child; clearly Roland doesn't do dialog with fans.

Pretty interesting that he threatens to pull out where he's doing well, but refuses to acknowledge it as a possibility where he's despised..
    It's about the 50 + 1 rule. It's been an obstruction to him having the final say on matters of recruitment, choice of coaches and principles of team selection (aka play the kids at every opportunity). It's his money but their club representatives controlling the pro team.

Imagine what it would be like if CARD had a big say in such decisions at Charlton! :grin:
    Do you feel you have learnt more about what is happening at Jena, based on what you have read of the meeting? I was unable to get an invite,so I didn't head up there from Aue, but RD was not there apparently and the meeting lasted 5 hours. So I consider I dodged a bullet by tramping around the Erzgebirge with family (great narrow gauge steam trains to view :smiley: )

Jena seems like a fog to me. I cannot understand how it manages to lose so much money, given that everyone is part-time, and they charge as much for admission as a Czech First Division club. It seems that the fans' perception of RD is less clear than at other clubs. Doubtless 50+1 is the reason, as you say, but I am not sure what the Jena fans actually want for their club. Therefore at this time, I am a bit wary of branding Jena as another one of RD's failures.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I think you were better off out of it, certainly.

I don't know, but the picture is different to ours. I've just read a few press reports, which may over-simplify things at times, and I think it's too early to see how things will go now. It's an unhappy marriage and I don't think the balance of power is resolved once and for all, but they are in a position where the club members need RD and his money, so a divorce is out of the question for them.

Just because they've made an otherwise clean sweep doesn't mean the new Board will roll over and let RD have his way. The reporter concluded that the new Board means an "alignment clearly towards Duchatelet". In the simple sense that he wanted the Board cleansed of his opponents, that is unquestionably true.

One of the people who spoke in GHF's news clip was the only one of the old Board who survived. His quote was all about their failure to communicate amongst themselves and with RD adequately, so that summarised the part of it that was a blame game.

Hilliger, the labour/employment lawyer who was one of his most bitter critics on the Board, spoke for something like an hour, apparently, and was pretty scathing about RD and his CEO, Forster, and their unwillingness to compromise. There is clearly a section of the members who, for various reasons, are equally angry. They were not presented with a choice of alternative Board members they could vote for.

The new Supervisory Board seems to consist of professional people and small businessmen mostly, with one guy from the local CDP and another simply described as a supporter, but I think the old Board wasn't dissimilar (but fewer in number). They seem to be like CARD and a lot of Charlton fans, quite a highly skilled and articulate lot, but perhaps the new lot are more likely to be "Investor-friendly".

They now get to pick a new Praesidium, which deals with the CEO on a "day-to-day" basis, I think (rather than the Supervisory Board). If you're interested, the image below borrowed from a press article shows the management structure. It was done before the AGM; Topel is one of the old guard who has gone (not sure about Russ).

Re money, Jena were a Bundesliga 2 side who fell on hard times on the field and slid down the leagues, with associated loss of revenue, and I think they have been overspending on the team and coaching to try to get back. They seem to be in a similar fix to Charlton, in that they will never break even at the level they're at.

RD, of course, wants to invest in developing the area around the ground, which I gather is not owned by the club, so his maths is very different to theirs. My understanding was that one of the things GHF's clip said was the AGM didn't discuss things like that.

EDIT: e.V. = eingetragener Verein, i.e. registered organisation, not-for-profit organisation