Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Local Police Station - don't bother

124»

Comments

• Options

my apologies for turning a post about lack of services offered by Old Bill into a series of discussions on the subject of speeding and associated statistics ... In this area, Humberside, the vast majority of scene of crimes officers and admin support staff have been laid off .. the new Crime Commissioner (or whatever he is called) has promised 40 to 50 more officers on the beat, of that number 30 or so will be CPSOs, not 'the real thing' but at least a presence on the streets and in the smaller villages.

Good to see you taking responsibility for your actions Lincs. :wink:
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Couldn't help adding that speed limits are also helpful to improve "conditions" for local residents. My own road was never intended for through traffic and used to be the sort of street where children played football and generally "hang out". But now motorists claim it is safe to drive along at 40 mph.

They are right - we don't have any accidents - but that is because everyone stays inside!

Perhaps this could be another consequence of driverless cars. People in quiet residential areas may become even more pissed off when an algorithm decides to use their road as a rat run?

Alternatively it could work in an opposite way whereby cars are programmed not to use quiet suburban roads as a way to skip congestion that may occur on main roads.

After all, a computer is less likely to cheat the system than a person.
    Good luck marketing a device that guarantees to take you the slowest possible route.
    That isn't my point, but ok.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Couldn't help adding that speed limits are also helpful to improve "conditions" for local residents. My own road was never intended for through traffic and used to be the sort of street where children played football and generally "hang out". But now motorists claim it is safe to drive along at 40 mph.

They are right - we don't have any accidents - but that is because everyone stays inside!

Perhaps this could be another consequence of driverless cars. People in quiet residential areas may become even more pissed off when an algorithm decides to use their road as a rat run?

Alternatively it could work in an opposite way whereby cars are programmed not to use quiet suburban roads as a way to skip congestion that may occur on main roads.

After all, a computer is less likely to cheat the system than a person.
    Good luck marketing a device that guarantees to take you the slowest possible route.
    That isn't my point, but ok.
    I know it wasn't, but the point is unless all sat-navs/programmable cars were legally required to do this then there would be little market for it.