Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Local Police Station - don't bother

Comments

• Options
    "From the 1st September 2014, we will be introducing a new, streamlined approach to the service we provide in respects to lost & found property."

That's a hell of a spin on what is effectively "We don't care, sod off."
  • Options
    Jayajosh said:

So you find a gold chain and a diamond ring and the first thing you have to do is look for the nearest shop to hand them in. That can't be right.

The fella in the shop will be rubbing his hands together and straight off to the pawn shop to flog it.
  • Options
    Write off to your local MP and ask about funding cuts. There is only so many cuts our public services can take.

There is one full-time police officer in my home town now. 1 person to around 25-30k. There isn't even a police station, just a booth in the local theatre.

Looking forward to more speeches about how the services need to "do more with less" whilst they sing the praises of how great our economy is.
  • Options
    Is it a Punch and Judy show?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Write off to your local MP and ask about funding cuts. There is only so many cuts our public services can take.

There is one full-time police officer in my home town now. 1 person to around 25-30k. There isn't even a police station, just a booth in the local theatre.

Looking forward to more speeches about how the services need to "do more with less" whilst they sing the praises of how great our economy is.

Thing is this is nothing new however .. over twenty years ago I worked with a young lady who's hubby was a Hertfordshire copper .. she told stories that often he would be the only officer on duty in (e.g.) Baldock or other Herts towns, admittedly not the hottest of hot crime spots but worrying for her and her beloved not to mention the Herts public IF they knew about it of course
  • Options
    Losing your handbag isn't a crime. Driving too fast is. That's what we pay them for. Big fuss about fuck all.
  • Options
    The UK police force does a great job generally and cops a lot of flack.

Mostly a lot less corrupt than most forces in the world. Well trained and reasonably well equipped.

I would personally not support every officer being armed as gendarmes are in France etc.

I think it's a shame that targeted community policing seems to have died.

On the other hand, I know of a few ex pigs who were pretty poor and managed to exit at 45-50 on a gold plated pension who did not deserve that.

Same in every service, mostly sound, some diamonds and some absolute shits.
  • Options

Can't be the only one on here who thought "Ghostbusters"

Apparently not....

GHOSTBUSTERS..!

Not going to lie I was gutted when I scrolled down and saw someone else had already done it.
  • Options

Apparently not....

GHOSTBUSTERS..!

Somehow it took me 8 minutes to post that as I genuinely hadn't seen your post first! Doh!
  • Options

Redskin said:

Police these days are a complete waste of public money, they should have their budget cut by 90%. No wonder people are increasingly taking the law into their own hands. Too busy chasing the laptop warriors to step into the streets-useless bunch of morons.

Police these days are a complete waste of public money, they should have their budget cut by 90%. No wonder people are increasingly taking the law into their own hands. Too busy chasing the laptop warriors to step into the streets-useless bunch of morons.

So a bunch of thugs break into your house, ransack it and take your wife/boyfriend and children/adoptees hostage.

Who you gonna call?

That was rather the point.

• Options
    Onlyme said:

I live on a very long straight road, that has no corners, what do I do?

Avoid the speed cameras.
  • Options

Losing your handbag isn't a crime. Driving too fast is. That's what we pay them for. Big fuss about fuck all.

We do not know how the handbag arrived at said spot, it may not have been lost.

Without condoning this, surely driving at 7-8 mph over the limit needs to be put into perspectve, certainly in the context of what we are discussing.
  • Options

Without condoning this, surely driving at 7-8 mph over the limit needs to be put into perspectve, certainly in the context of what we are discussing.
    Speeding means revenue. Crime means work. Figure it out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Losing your handbag isn't a crime but to me it looked like it had been rifled through and dumped, which suggests there has been a crime. Why no cash in the purse - zilch. No mobile but a mobile charger? Even if it was simply lost, there is a value to the contents and the idea that I hand it in to a local corner shop is laughable. I am still trying to contact her through Facebook but no response as yet. Don't start me on speeding...
  • Options
    Maybe the police have a point about dealing with lost property. If you find an umbrella on a train you hand it to the lost property office and there's usually a small charge if its reunited with the owner. I would not expect the police to be dealing with lost umbrellas found in the street.

But in this case the purse is so obviously related to a crime that they should have taken an interest in it!
  • Options

And there's that £350m a week to hand out as well.

No, no, no, that's going to the NHS.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    This was never lost property. Using their computer systems it would have been the work of just a couple of minutes to match it up with a reported theft from a pub or a handbag snatch.

It was clearly evidence that a crime had been committed. You should have asked for a crime number. Or asked the plod what happened when they ignored and mis-recorded the position of the handbag strap which has just been making the news some 23 years after the crime.

The police like to blame budget cuts but they also like to describe themselves as professionals. What other profession is there that gets paid overtime?

Local police stations are pathetically useless. I went into one once in Hampshire trying to track down a current address for a suspect. They said they couldn't help - data protection don't ya know. I had to cite the gateway provided by section 29(1) of the DPA and threatened to call their chief constable before I could get the lazy feckers off their doughnut laden arses to actually do some crime detection. Too many police officers are just a waste of space unfortunately.
  • Options
    Had similar last year in that I found a discarded handbag and personal possessions dumped under a bush near my garden. As we don't have a police station in Dartford anymore, I called the Police on the non-emergency number and they turned up about 30/45 mins later to collect it and take down details.

Sorry to hear that they don't seem interested anymore. The two that I dealt with were brilliant.
  • Options
    We share a spindoctor with the fuzz!
    "Continue to provide the best advice possible, including signposting you to other organisations who would be better placed to assist." = "I dunno, hand it in to the nearest corner shop mate"
  • Options

Lincs said he was driving 12mph over the limit. 42 in a 30 zone.
    You've seen that ad where the kid gets knocked over at 40 and dies and then gets knocked over at 30 and survives, right? That's why Lincs deserved a fine.
  • Options

You've seen that ad where the kid gets knocked over at 40 and dies and then gets knocked over at 30 and survives, right? That's why Lincs deserved a fine.
    I'd say that kid needs to be a bit more careful crossing the road.
  • Options
    Yeah, you're right.
    Keep driving over the limit. Anyone you knock over only has themselves to blame.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

there is a difference between driving 'too fast' on a congested urban compared to a quiet rural road .. I wrote that there was not another car nor person in sight .. the road in question where I was nicked has a broad footpath in front of wheat fields on one side and large houses with long driveways on the other .. YES, I 'broke the law' .. BUT, the fine would have been the same had I been speeding on a road which fits your description, one with (e.g.) children running around .. this is where the law is out of touch with reality... no leeway for circumstances .. 'speeding' is pretty much a strict liability law and needs an expensive lawyer and a compliant court to ensure a 'not guilty' verdict .. M'luds .. I rest my case ((:>) and I'll pay the hundred .. real problem is the insurance, I'll declare the 3 points and pay a higher premium for a few years to come .. the lawyers call that double jeapordy

EDIT and last last word .. the road where I was caught is long and straight with a purpose built chicane to deter speeding motor cyclists who used to plague the area .. the limit is 30 mph just through this chicane. either side, the limit is 50 mph