Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton aiming to rise again against backdrop of fury and boycotts - The Guardian

Comments

• edited September 2016
    A well balanced article.

I don't know John Commerford but those kind of comments suggest we are lucky to have RD in charge! Now I can certainly understand fans wanting to get behind the team but i'd be amazed if any fans attending games are happy with how the club is being run.

If those comments are attributed to John then he's brought a similar unnecessary spotlight onto himself much in the way Sue Parkes has done with her recent outbursts.
  • I even wonder if the club and their posh PR agency Pitch tried to place the quote from the spokesman as part of a positive spin article? Headline might suggest that too. Fortunately the journalist did not fall for it.

Apologies if I am doing a disservice to anyone in CARD with this suggestion.

I don't believe the club initiated this article. AFAIK the journalist contacted CARD and then went to the club for a response, but was always looking to reflect both sides of the story.
    Nick Miller has covered the protests and problems at the club in previous articles. Has always done a fair job in my opinion, this article being no exception.

Been reading his work for a while now (used to write for F365) and always enjoyed it.
  • We all know just as we want Meire/Duchatalet to sling their hooks, there are a sizeable number who just want to watch football regardless of whether we are owned by Duchatalet or Kim Jong-Un or Jimmy Savile, and within that group are a small number who actively loathe anyone who opposes what is happening. That's fine. All that's happened is that some within that group have started to make a noise - we all know who - and there's been a decision that East Kent Addicks will be the 'officiual' fan vehicle to voice that view. Again, all good.

What this interview makes clear is that link with the club's hierarchy. The Guardian, during research, would have asked the club for pro-regime fans to talk to, and clearly the club pointed them straight to East Kent Addicks. As if the Meire Q&A told there had not told us enough. Expect to see them quoted quite a lot more in the coming months.
  • Just shows how John Comberford and EKA have been conned.
    He's loaned the money to the club. We have £38m+ of debt to Roland. He hasn't put more money in, just more debt. And that debt means he is asking a silly price of the few potential buyers he will actually talk to.

Absolutely and I would like to see how JC backs up his assertion that RD put more into the club than any other owner.
    Old PR trick. Keep repeating a lie and eventually it becomes accepted as fact. All the more so in this age of the internet. Anyone researching the background to the mess -and let's be honest, almost all journalists will start with Google, hence Meire's repeated cleansing of negative comments - will keep coming across the statement that Duchatalet has invested more than anyone etc and so will assume that to be correct, and in all probability repeat it, further fuelling the myth.
  • As said, they are his views and he is perfectly entitled to them. I'm gutted they are his (and others) views though. It feels like the whole of football is united in seeing that Duchatelet/ Meire are bad for football / Charlton, except for a small amount of Charlton fans.

Was too young then and wouldn't have had the socia media platform like now, but were there a few club apologists who sided with the club when they announced the Selhurst move?
  • As said, they are his views and he is perfectly entitled to them. I'm gutted they are his (and others) views though. It feels like the whole of football is united in seeing that Duchatelet/ Meire are bad for football / Charlton, except for a small amount of Charlton fans.

Was too young then and wouldn't have had the socia media platform like now, but were there a few club apologists who sided with the club when they announced the Selhurst move?

Yes, some in the official Supporters club
  • You'd have to say this is actually quite well played by the club. Perhaps it's because we already all know the story, but this thread is four pages in and all the focus has been on that East Kent Addicks toadie. I was furious when I read his arsehole comments and clearly everyone else was as well; wonder if that's their plan - make us so focused on the scum fans willing to say nonsense like that and stifle the discussion about how badly the club's been run.
  • Sponsored links:

• At the time of the move to Selhurst Park I seem to remember the chairman of the supporters club being interviewed on television and endorsing the decision to quit the Valley.
  • mogodon said:

Stig said:

Is it only me that feels uncomfortable with the slating John Commerford is getting? After all, the offending 'quote' was unattributed. If we can prove it's him then fair enough, but isn't there room for some doubt here?

Whether we like it or not (probably not!) he is fully entitled to his views. Slightly more of an issue in that he does appear to be being used to back the club line which is becoming very familiar elsewhere, namely the protests are smaller than portrayed and it's no more than a few using social media to whip up a frenzy against decent people. That annoys me in that it portrays the majority of protesters as mindless idiots. The new club PR seems to have adopted a strategy of undermine and divide the protests, so expect more.

Surely the biggest - and most silent - evidence of what a mess Duchatalet and Meire have made are the vast banks of empty seats at home matches.

As said, they are his views and he is perfectly entitled to them. I'm gutted they are his (and others) views though. It feels like the whole of football is united in seeing that Duchatelet/ Meire are bad for football / Charlton, except for a small amount of Charlton fans.

The article clearly states that they were the views of "spokesperson for the East Kent Addicks" and as such should be regarded as the views of the whole of that group or an unknown majority. Since no group members have come forward to disagree we can assume the former.
  • Hex said:

mogodon said:

Stig said:

Is it only me that feels uncomfortable with the slating John Commerford is getting? After all, the offending 'quote' was unattributed. If we can prove it's him then fair enough, but isn't there room for some doubt here?

Whether we like it or not (probably not!) he is fully entitled to his views. Slightly more of an issue in that he does appear to be being used to back the club line which is becoming very familiar elsewhere, namely the protests are smaller than portrayed and it's no more than a few using social media to whip up a frenzy against decent people. That annoys me in that it portrays the majority of protesters as mindless idiots. The new club PR seems to have adopted a strategy of undermine and divide the protests, so expect more.

Surely the biggest - and most silent - evidence of what a mess Duchatalet and Meire have made are the vast banks of empty seats at home matches.

As said, they are his views and he is perfectly entitled to them. I'm gutted they are his (and others) views though. It feels like the whole of football is united in seeing that Duchatelet/ Meire are bad for football / Charlton, except for a small amount of Charlton fans.

The article clearly states that they were the views of "spokesperson for the East Kent Addicks" and as such should be regarded as the views of the whole of that group or an unknown majority. Since no group members have come forward to disagree we can assume the former.
    Given the complete lack of response from any individual members of East Kent Addicks perhaps they should consider a name change to Stepford Addicks.
  • Thank you PragueAddick you are IMO correct. Clubs need a strong, intelligent Supporters Trust, through good times and bad, providing a debated, agreed and then united voice representing the supporters.
  • Even when the Belgians are long gone we will remember the collaborators...
  • _MrDick said:

dickplumb said:

I know John Commerford and he is an arsehole', always has been.

Have you been going since 1952 as well ...
    No my first game was in 1962. I am not associated with East Kent Addicks at all.

• Stig said:

No, nail him up I say.
    How dare he speak on my behalf. He is entitled to his opinion but that's all. If he wants to suck up to these insects that's his want but if he spouts nonsense and basically rubbishes our cause I think he has stepped over the line.
    When this is over and sanity has returned to our Charlton I think we should out all these dissidents and re-educate them NK style.
  • Sponsored links:

• A couple of nice guys from EKA used to post on here until it all went a bit wrong after the Slater meeting. They went a but underground then.

• At the time of the move to Selhurst Park I seem to remember the chairman of the supporters club being interviewed on television and endorsing the decision to quit the Valley.

Think this is right - can't remember his name as was only nine at the time but Airman will know it and is no doubt mentioned in his book too if I can find my copy
  • I think the chap was Bill Treadgold - or something like. Shame how the memory goes as the years pile on!
  • LenGlover said:

Hex said:

mogodon said:

Stig said:

Given the complete lack of response from any individual members of East Kent Addicks perhaps they should consider a name change to Stepford Addicks.
    I'm a member of East Kent Addicks and I can confirm that I was not aware of the public statement before it was issued and only read it late last night.

I was not consulted, nor do I, routinely, invite anyone ( about football or anything else) to speak on my behalf.

However, I have been subject to mild abuse on here because of my association with EKA and received a very surprising rebuke from a close friend of over twenty years yesterday when I pointed out that the press statement was not issued on my behalf or with my knowledge. With that in mind I am not, in the least, surprised that the members of EKA have all gone quiet - something that I will be doing from now on!
  • RedChaser said:

LenGlover said:

Hex said:

mogodon said:

Stig said:

Whether we like it or not (probably not!) he is fully entitled to his views. Slightly more of an issue in that he does appear to be being used to back the club line which is becoming very familiar elsewhere, namely the protests are smaller than
    portrayed and it's no more than a few using social media to whip up a frenzy against decent people. That annoys me in that it portrays the majority of protesters as mindless idiots. The new club PR seems to have adopted a strategy of undermine and divide the protests, so expect more.

I'm a member of East Kent Addicks and I can confirm that I was not aware of the public statement before it was issued and only read it late last night.

I was not consulted, nor do I, routinely, invite anyone ( about football or anything else) to speak on my behalf.

However, I have been subject to mild abuse on here because of my association with EKA and received a very surprising rebuke from a close friend of over twenty years yesterday when I pointed out that the press statement was not issued on my behalf or with my knowledge. With that in mind I am not, in the least, surprised that the members of EKA have all gone quiet - something that I will be doing from now on!
    @kings hill addick Feelings are running high and anyone associated with EKA are unfortunately guilty by association. I'm not sure what personal abuse you've had but why withdraw? You've made it quite clear that you don't agree with the 'Spokesman's' views so that's good enough for me and I'm sure the vast majority of us on here.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do but if I were you I would out this person at your next AGM or call an EGM to remove him forthwith and get somebody as Chairperson who reflects the majority view because he is not doing the rest of you any favours.

I don't always agree with your points of view but you are a valued member of this forum as far as I am concerned so have a rethink eh? :wink: .
    Thanks, kind words. I'm not planning on keeping off CL just the topic of EKA.

In time, people will even forget that I am a member.
  • RedChaser said:

LenGlover said:

Hex said:

mogodon said:

Stig said:

Whether we like it or not (probably not!) he is fully entitled to his views. Slightly more of an issue in that he does appear to be being used to back the club line which is becoming very familiar elsewhere, namely the protests are smaller than
    portrayed and it's no more than a few using social media to whip up a frenzy against decent people. That annoys me in that it portrays the majority of protesters as mindless idiots. The new club PR seems to have adopted a strategy of undermine and divide the protests, so expect more.

@kings hill addick Feelings are running high and anyone associated with EKA are unfortunately guilty by association. I'm not sure what personal abuse you've had but why withdraw? You've made it quite clear that you don't agree with the 'Spokesman's' views so that's good enough for me and I'm sure the vast majority of us on here.

Far be it from me to tell you what to do but if I were you I would out this person at your next AGM or call an EGM to remove him forthwith and get somebody as Chairperson who reflects the majority view because he is not doing the rest of you any favours.

I don't always agree with your points of view but you are a valued member of this forum as far as I am concerned so have a rethink eh? :wink: .
    Thanks, kind words. I'm not planning on keeping off CL just the topic of EKA.

In time, people will even forget that I am a member.
    You and me both :wink: .
  • All fans should have their views listened to and we should not abuse them but I would say to the pro regime sympathisers open your eyes and look around the stadium
  • Collaborators! Loose lips sink ships! Don't you know there's a war on?
  • All fans should have their views listened to and we should not abuse them but I would say to the pro regime sympathisers open your eyes and look around the stadium

What, at all the lovely red seats and bright yellow steps? Pitch looks good too.