Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colin Murray departs Talk Sport

Caught the last 10 minutes of the final Colin Murray show for Talk Sport today.

All round good football guy and Liverpool supporter who is resigning, giving up his job and what must be a very decent salary all because Talk Sport have been bought out by an arm of the Rupert Murdoch (SUN) empire.

Big Respect.
Will miss his brand of humour and ready willingness to go beyond the Premier League for all sorts of stories about fans, players, and related football themes. Will be sorely missed. Hope he is able to get back behind the mike somewhere else.

Comments

• Agree. I wasn't at all sure when he first started but he grew on me. Good football insight and great sense of fun and humour.
  • Bunce tales were a classic if anyone managed to catch one on a Wednesday morning.
  • Enjoyed his show and full of respect for what he has done and sticking to his principles.Himself and some of his guests really surprised me on how good they were,Stuart Pearce,Bob Mills,Buncey andDaleyThompson
  • I didn't realise that was the reason he was leaving. Fair play to him. Ultimate respect!
  • fair play to him for sticking to his principles BUT get over it.
  • If my employers were taken over by someone whose morals I detested I would leave too.
  • Easily the best show on talk sport. Hope they can keep it in same sort shape instead of the other crap that talk about the top 6 all bleeding day.
  • Is he cancelling his sky as well?
  • If my employers were taken over by someone whose morals I detested I would leave too.

I wouldn't
  • Sponsored links:

• Really like Colin Murray and wish he still did Fighting Talk.

That said, he did join a broadcaster founded by Kelvin Mackenzie, one that has long had close links with News Corp, so I was a little surprised when he made this decision. Still, good luck to him and hopefully he'll get a good gig soon.
  • J BLOCK said:

If my employers were taken over by someone whose morals I detested I would leave too.

I wouldn't
    Do you work for Charlton? :wink:
  • Kap10 said:

fair play to him for sticking to his principles BUT get over it.

Don't think anyone should "get over it", the longer people continue to protest over the lies and deceitful headlines that The Scum print on a range of topics then maybe just maybe one day they will become a responsible and print truth and facts, not sensationalise and distort.
    TalkSport is a subsidiary of The Wireless Group, who are owned by NewsCorp, who own NewsUK, who own The Sun. So it's not as though TS employees are working directly for The Sun, although I'm not familiar with the level of cross-promotion that is being demanded, which could, understandably, be an issue.

• Found him very annoying when he started on telly at first but have grown to like him and enjoy his shows. Comes across as a very genuine and likeable bloke. Will be missed.
  • Colin Murray top guy on the radio and now replaced by the transfer man Jim I get excited and blab on from sky ...............now he is annoying

I admire Murray he stood by his principles and his beliefs --fair play to him --talk sports loss
  • J BLOCK said:

If my employers were taken over by someone whose morals I detested I would leave too.

I wouldn't
    Does that make you proud?
  • Really liked his "average" show, think Talksport had a great daytime lineup and they will really miss him.
  • Fair play to the Guy.
    Colin Murray was a straight talker with his regional accent,
    who has left the station because of his beliefs.
    So many people have to bite their tongues because of their their bosses.
    I didn't and i paid a price, but it is quite Cathartic even if your other half doesn't see it that way !
  • It's a real shame they treated him badly at BBC. Always came across that Alan Hansen couldn't stand him because he'd ask questions with the passion of fans perspective. Chappers is pleasent, and decent at presenting, but just lacks a little in the spark Murray has for bringing in stories.

Anyone not wanting to work for News International has my support. It's a dead company, with filthy executives, and an excuse for amoral and ludicrous agenda based journalism.
  • He stank the place up when he first appeared on channel5's ropey old football coverage.
    He's improved loads since then and Fighting Talk on R5 has stunk since he left.
    Jacking in a job because the employer becomes a tentacle of that despicable antipodean mollusc is honourable indeed and Colin deserves huge respect for his principled decision.
    I'm sure he'll find opportunities back at the Beeb soon enough. He's streets better at football presenting than the manish boy and the breakfast tv god-botherer bloke whose name evades me.
    Good man yourself Col.
  • Sponsored links:

• 100% echo these sentiments my favourite radio show , he was so good during the euros when N Ireland were in it
  • Absolutely loved his fighting talk. Set me up for a Saturday morning. Always silly, always informative about random sportsmen/ women. He'll pop up somewhere else. Good on him.
  • Never saw what people had against him - a passionate football fan with character that doesn't take himself too seriously and is really pretty good, especially when compared to many of the grey types that inhabit sports media.

Now we also see that he puts his money where is mouth is, as it were.

Good on yer Colin.

Hope to see/hear you on the TV/wireless somewhere soon.
  • Surprised John Richardson hasn't done the same.
  • He absolutely made Fighting Talk - not been the same since he departed. Would welcome him back to be hones. Always liked his style of presenting - he's more human than the robotic types favoured nowadays.
  • Genuinely surprised by all of the above comments...I thought I was the only person who liked listening to him!!!

Colin is an excellent broadcaster who can do silly but can also do dead serious when needed.

Expect him to turn up on Radio X very soon although I believe he should be somewhere much bigger.
  • I quite like Colin Murray but I can't stand TalkSport .
    Every 15 minutes it's interrupted with adverts and I find it impossible to listen to.
  • I expect he'll be back on the BBC before too long ((:<)
  • Words words words

Don't come easy to me

Gonna miss you Colin hated it when you first joined thought you were a speecy nob, but really your a top presenter of a great show with real passion for football and sport not juat premershit
  • Jim White takes over on Monday morning