Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is our current squad stronger than 11/12

2»

Comments

• Dale Stephens in the current side and we'd be favourites to win the league.

Interesting thread. Agree with the view that it's comparing apples and pears because of the overall situation. But on a pure one on one basis (I'm not referring to old players in any particular season, just going on my overall memories of them) I'd have Stephens, Yann, BWP, Wiggo and Morro ahead of Crofts/Jacko (now)/Foley, Magennis, Ajose, Fox and Pearce/Konsa. And as back up I can't decide between Novak and Hayes. From the new lot I'd have Holmes instead of Green and Lookman but that's about it. Mind you it's early days so I'm going on having seen the current lot in the flesh once and relying on feedback from here so my thoughts are probably not statistically significant.
  • Early days but I think the 11/12 group was stronger and (unsurprisingly) more cohesive.

That team was very solid in central defence, had the best pair of young full backs in the division (and possibly outside the Premier League), the strongest midfield pairing in Stephens and Holland, the goals of BWP and the all-round class and dominance of Kermogant.

Given that Kashi is out injured, the only members of the present squad who would walk into that team are Holmes and Lookman, although Rudd and one of our central defenders would also be in with a shout.
  • Jackson has said himself the 2011/12 squad was something special. They were greater than the sum of its parts, but they also had a few very talented individuals, Yann and Stephens are good examples.

He also said it's very early days with the current squad but they're getting along well so there are good signs.

In a squad of players who have played for us so far this season and that special squad, a mixture of:

Hamer, Rudd

Solly, Morrison, Taylor, Cort, Bauer, Pearce, Konsa, Wiggins, Fox

Wagstaff, Holmes, Stephens, Hollands, Jackson, Crofts, Hughes, Lookman

BWP, Yann, Haynes, Ajose, Magennis, Novak

25 man squad with loads of attacking options. This mixture of a squad would storm League One and do very well in the Championship I think.

Bit pointless doing this I suppose, but it's nice to see that within our current squad, there are positives and good players.
  • I don't think it's even close
  • Nug said:

I don't think it's even close

agreed