Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fitbit

Comments

• Options
    Was given one two weeks ago...I have a Blaze....not sure on it tbh...not convinced it's tracking steps/calories etc accurately...but then haven't really explored what it can do (or even how to set it up if I am honest..).. Whats the group function do and how do I join, if not too late...?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

My one is a Fitbit Charge HR which is great for me: time, steps, heart rate, miles, calories used and stairs climbed. I like that when you download the data, it tells you how much exercise was aerobic and fat burning. It can be slow at downloading the info if I have left it for a few days. I would also like more notice when the battery needs charging.
    Otherwise it has been a great motivator and all the badges won etc are a laugh. I walked the Serengeti a few weeks ago!

Got one of these last week. Had the Jawbone for a long time, but it broke down on me a while ago and thought the Fitbit and all the extra bits looked good.

Took a long walk during the Charlton game on Saturday, instead of going to The Valley, and on way home I walked up Purrett Road to Winn Common...heart rate monitor said I was on 154 as I crested the top...I'd say it was pretty much spot on!!!

Pretty impressed with it so far.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

My one is a Fitbit Charge HR which is great for me: time, steps, heart rate, miles, calories used and stairs climbed. I like that when you download the data, it tells you how much exercise was aerobic and fat burning. It can be slow at downloading the info if I have left it for a few days. I would also like more notice when the battery needs charging.
    Otherwise it has been a great motivator and all the badges won etc are a laugh. I walked the Serengeti a few weeks ago!

Got one of these last week. Had the Jawbone for a long time, but it broke down on me a while ago and thought the Fitbit and all the extra bits looked good.

Took a long walk during the Charlton game on Saturday, instead of going to The Valley, and on way home I walked up Purrett Road to Winn Common...heart rate monitor said I was on 154 as I crested the top...I'd say it was pretty much spot on!!!

The only drawback is when you cycle, I am not sure how it monitors the steps. However it does monitor the activity, fat burning etc so useful. The heart rate is intriguing and my resting heart rate is about 52 but cycling yesterday pushed it to 136! Definitely addicted to it.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

The only drawback is when you cycle, I am not sure how it monitors the steps. However it does monitor the activity, fat burning etc so useful. The heart rate is intriguing and my resting heart rate is about 52 but cycling yesterday pushed it to 136! Definitely addicted to it.
    I screws me over when I'm pushing the little one around in her buggy. Misses loads of steps. Went for a walk with the Missus the other day and it picked up several thousand steps for her and about 700 for me.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

I screws me over when I'm pushing the little one around in her buggy. Misses loads of steps. Went for a walk with the Missus the other day and it picked up several thousand steps for her and about 700 for me.
    I wonder if it is to do with arm movement and that's why when pushing the buggy or cycling the arms are static so no steps recored!
  • Options
    I have a blaze - use it for tracking sleep more than anything, as my sleep patterns have always been fucked and it plays havoc with my training

The heart rate monitor on it is absolutely laughable. I wear a 'proper' heart rate monitor for cycling and the fitbit is so inaccurate in comparison I may as well just not bother looking at it. I know they say that it can't accurately monitor heart rate when doing strenuous exercise, but I find that it's 15-20 bpm off when even walking sometimes. For instance, my resting heart rate is somewhere between 39 and 43 bpm - which the fitbit makes a reasonable stab at. I did a walk the other day, 3km, wearing my real hrm for comparison - fitbit recorded average heart rate of 82, it was actually 98

I think for the sedentary person trying to lose weight they're great - but be advised - if you're absolutely blowing out of your arse and look down to see a heart rate 20 beats below what it should be, don't think you should be pushing yourself more. You could end up in serious difficulty
  • Options

I have a blaze - use it for tracking sleep more than anything, as my sleep patterns have always been fucked and it plays havoc with my training

The heart rate monitor on it is absolutely laughable. I wear a 'proper' heart rate monitor for cycling and the fitbit is so inaccurate in comparison I may as well just not bother looking at it. I know they say that it can't accurately monitor heart rate when doing strenuous exercise, but I find that it's 15-20 bpm off when even walking sometimes. For instance, my resting heart rate is somewhere between 39 and 43 bpm - which the fitbit makes a reasonable stab at. I did a walk the other day, 3km, wearing my real hrm for comparison - fitbit recorded average heart rate of 82, it was actually 98

I think for the sedentary person trying to lose weight they're great - but be advised - if you're absolutely blowing out of your arse and look down to see a heart rate 20 beats below what it should be, don't think you should be pushing yourself more. You could end up in serious difficulty

That's how I use mine. I'm not trying to get super fit, and I don't expect to to be bang on accurate, it just helps act as a general indicator of how much, or more likely how little, activity I am doing. It has definitely helped me understand how sedentary I have become since I moved inside from a site job to a desk job.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

I wonder if it is to do with arm movement and that's why when pushing the buggy or cycling the arms are static so no steps recored!
    I seem to find that myself as will sit still at home and jerk my arms in a walking motion (Shut it you lot!!) and it'll add to my step count!!
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Which model do you have and which does your wife have? I think @Eynsfordaddick is probably right. My wife has a wristband one and we tend to get variations of about 10% but nothing like you have. She is taller than me,mbut also on holidays I was using poles,while she often had the dog on a lead, so arm movement was definitely different.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

The only drawback is when you cycle, I am not sure how it monitors the steps. However it does monitor the activity, fat burning etc so useful. The heart rate is intriguing and my resting heart rate is about 52 but cycling yesterday push,ed it to 136! Definitely addicted to it.
    Are you sure you aren't actually in the buggy??? :wink:

I have been using it on the bike (exercise version) and it definitely picks up the heart rate and how long you are in the various zones (fat-burning, cardio), so that bit all looks good too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

TelMc32 said:

Which model do you have and which does your wife have? I think @Eynsfordaddick is probably right. My wife has a wristband one and we tend to get variations of about 10% but nothing like you have. She is taller than me,mbut also on holidays I was using poles,while she often had the dog on a lead, so arm movement was definitely different.
    Totally agree, doesn't register many steps when I do the shopping - I use a trolley, so my hands are stationary for most of the walking.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Totally agree, doesn't register many steps when I do the shopping - I use a trolley, so my hands are stationary for most of the walking.
    Why dont you push the trolley one handed and walk with your fitbit arm swinging?
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Why dont you push the trolley one handed and walk with your fitbit arm swinging?
    I can just imagine the strange looks in the supermarket!
  • Options
    Well, this is going well :-(

Are they all Charlton fans, @kimbo ? With that name, Kinga has to be a Network import from Ujpest :-)
  • Options
    No, most of them are work colleagues and members of my team. Kinga works for me - she is polish
  • Options
    Nope, ok I'll ask..........what is a Fitbit?
    When I was younger a Fitbit was Aneka Rice. :)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Nope, ok I'll ask..........what is a Fitbit?
    When I was younger a Fitbit was Aneka Rice. :)

No... No it wasn't!!
  • Options
    Yikes - is that in a WEEK?
  • Options
    I was wondering if it's the total amount of steps they've done in 4 days? I don't get the second Column
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Curb_It said:

I was wondering if it's the total amount of steps they've done in 4 days? I don't get the second Column

I think the second column may be the last time they have updated data.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016

Curb_It said:

Correct... Yet thats only over two days... the Workweek Hustle challenge is only from Monday to Friday
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Correct... Yet thats only over two days... the Workweek Hustle challenge is only from Monday to Friday
    effectively a day and a half when I posted that up.

My 10k steps a day is no match for this lot. I managed to take three of them out last evening by walking around the room while talking on the phone, but then I sat down to get my fix of Scandi-drama, and within an hour was back in the relegation zone :-)

• Options
    Are these just a new-fangled gadget to spend your money on (money that you used to spend in pubs, when they used to exist) that will be gathering dust in two years time?
  • Options

Are these just a new-fangled gadget to spend your money on (money that you used to spend in pubs, when they used to exist) that will be gathering dust in two years time?

I don't think so but it will always be for people with a certain mindset. These people are walking instead of sitting on their asses. Since it is universally agreed by the medical world that that is a good thing, I can't see the downside.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I got my Fitbit not long after I joined the gym so February 2015 I think, a year and a half later still loving it. I went to see a show at the Royal Albert hall and was a tad early so decided to walk from Victoria train station to the venue, a good 45 minute walk and then celebrated by finding a pub another 10 minutes away for a quick drink before meeting the rest of my family. I will try and walk where possible these days rather than use a bus, tube etc.

I've lost quite a chunk of weight, admittedly from the gym and a tweak of the diet. The Fitbit has played it part, the app also works well with Strava for Cycling and Running if that's your bag.

Love my Fitbit Charge HR, want the new one when it comes out. Not scientific by any means, but it's something out there for the masses with the right message.
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

I got my Fitbit not long after I joined the gym so February 2015 I think, a year and a half later still loving it. I went to see a show at the Royal Albert hall and was a tad early so decided to walk from Victoria train station to the venue, a good 45 minute walk and then celebrated by finding a pub another 10 minutes away for a quick drink before meeting the rest of my family. I will try and walk where possible these days rather than use a bus, tube etc.

I've lost quite a chunk of weight, admittedly from the gym and a tweak of the diet. The Fitbit has played it part, the app also works well with Strava for Cycling and Running if that's your bag.

Love my Fitbit Charge HR, want the new one when it comes out. Not scientific by any means, but it's something out there for the masses with the right message.
    I agree, I love my Fit-bit Charge HR. had it since April this year and already walked the length of Italy, 736 miles! The badges make me laugh but really motivate me.
  • Options
    And I love mine too. Good gadget without being too difficult to work and I'm still using it constantly after getting it for Christmas. I've walked 990 miles, to New Zealand.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

And I love mine too. Good gadget without being too difficult to work and I'm still using it constantly after getting it for Christmas. I've walked 990 miles, to New Zealand.

To New Zealand? From where?
  • Options
    I don't know. That's all my badge says, didn't say a starting point.