Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best "Resignations"

Comments

• Options

sam3110 said:

I'll be resigning soon - I can't wait...

Make sure you do it with enough flair to get some LOL's on here, that's the most important thing to think about
    Of course.

I wasn't even going to quit but having seen this thread I've seen an ideal opportunity to boost the LOL count...
    Have one on account...
  • Options
    Katrien's
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I've actually got an exit interview with a bird from HR today and I'm trying to work out the best way to kick off so I can add a decent tale to this thread.

Pretend she's Katrien, the rest should be easy
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I've actually got an exit interview with a bird from HR today and I'm trying to work out the best way to kick off so I can add a decent tale to this thread.

Spunk over her notes?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Take a piece of clothing off for each minute that passes. You never know, it may end with a better job..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is she fit?
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I worked a factory job for 12hr night shifts, 4 days on 4 days off. Absolute torture to the body and it tell within the first few weeks, I probably ate through my wages in food and coffee payments.

One night, just before 'lunch' break I just upped and off'ed, it wasn't healthy for me mentally. Got an e-mail a few days later saying I'd been let off the job for it, got paid what I got paid and moved on with my life. If you worry about the consequences of everything you do in life you won't do a thing, another person actually walked with me at the same time, he's currently travelling the world and doing well for himself, as am I.

It doesn't make you a quitter or anything like that, it's your own life so you do what you feel is right for you. The sleep I had that night and the normal day I had with my friends the next day was worth more than any money I needed at the time.

Genuinely how I felt at the time and feel now. It's something I've never done before and not something I would ever do on a whim, I just don't have the balls to do it for one, but I just ended up doing it and don't regret a thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Huskaris said:

iainment said:

I have walked out of a few jobs but in this day and age I'd never leave an email saying why. Real hostage to fortune that.
    But gòod luck and I hope the next job is the one that ticks your boxes.

Thank you! Like I said I have never walked out of anything before, but for the first time I am in a position where I have enough money to be able to afford a couple of months off if it comes to it. The email was well received by the company and we have had a friendly dialogue, effectively agreeing I shouldn't have to work my weeks notice etc.

I just want a friendly place where I can work as an accountant. I really struggle with the stereotypical idea of accountants, it is completely true, I just want to work in a place where people care about how you are doing and want a chat occasionally. I was told it was sociable before I joined, when I joined and then for the 3 weeks, but I think about 3 people talked to me. Because of the structure I only ever had cause to talk to one person in my job. It was very, very lonely...
    The other thing you can tell your next prospective employer is, should it ever come up, "I was there three weeks, I got no direction, felt like I was going nowhere, and left." I come from a different work culture working in tech in the states, but I think a lot more people would respect that than you imagine. I think there's something to be said for being able to say "you know, it just wasn't for me."
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

iainment said:

I have walked out of a few jobs but in this day and age I'd never leave an email saying why. Real hostage to fortune that.

Thank you! Like I said I have never walked out of anything before, but for the first time I am in a position where I have enough money to be able to afford a couple of months off if it comes to it. The email was well received by the company and we have had a friendly dialogue, effectively agreeing I shouldn't have to work my weeks notice etc.

I just want a friendly place where I can work as an accountant. I really struggle with the stereotypical idea of accountants, it is completely true, I just want to work in a place where people care about how you are doing and want a chat occasionally. I was told it was sociable before I joined, when I joined and then for the 3 weeks, but I think about 3 people talked to me. Because of the structure I only ever had cause to talk to one person in my job. It was very, very lonely...
    Is it a firm of accountants or a firm doing something else where you are the accountant?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Huskaris said:

iainment said:

Is it a firm of accountants or a firm doing something else where you are the accountant?
    A firm where I was one of the accountants in a company big enough to have a full finance support department so there were quite a few of us
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

If accountants had any social skills, they wouldnt be accountants.

I know this to be true.

I'm an accountant.

That's what I am kind of thinking. I'm thinking of doing something more exciting and considering going into the civil service, which probably let's you know the upper level to which I like excitement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    SDAddick said:

Huskaris said:

iainment said:

The other thing you can tell your next prospective employer is, should it ever come up, "I was there three weeks, I got no direction, felt like I was going nowhere, and left." I come from a different work culture working in tech in the states, but I think a lot more people would respect that than you imagine. I think there's something to be said for being able to say "you know, it just wasn't for me."
    It's a gamble, but I would respect someone who said that a lot. If someone told me that they stayed in a job and were a martyr even though they were unhappy, I would question their (a) ambition, (b) social skills and (c) ability to work in a team. I'd much prefer to have someone who came out and said something like:

"One of the key things I look for in a job is a stable social life, with dependable colleagues who are able to provide assistance to each other when required. Sadly, I found myself in a role whereby people were quite isolated and working in their own individual silos, there was a severe lack of communication and ultimately I found it frustrating and not really conducive to a productive work environment. Simply put I felt lonely! With that in mind I resigned as soon as I realised I wasn't really the right fit, so as to minimize disruption to the team there.".

I've bolded the last bit, because you genuinely did do the right thing by the company you were placed with: there's nothing worse than someone leaving just as they're getting productive and have learnt the ropes of their role.

That said, the best interview I ever conducted involved the candidate taking the piss out of me when I told him I got lost on the way to my first interview there. ("Oh, I'm doing better than you already then! I take it I was a shoo-in when I walked through the door then?") So maybe my interviewing advice might not be the wisest.. ;)
  • Options
    To be fair to my profession, it very much depends on the kind of company you're in.
    I've worked in video games, fashion, retail, marketing, internet and promotional product businesses, and all of them were lively, social places where even the finance people were engaging, enthusiastic, and always up for a night out.

By the same token, I've worked in one or two finance teams where there was no spirit at all. I never lasted long in those places. I think it mostly just depends where you are, and it's one thing I try to etablish at the interview stage. Asking for a tour of the office at your interview will give you a clue as to whether it's the right kind of place for you.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

To be fair to my profession, it very much depends on the kind of company you're in.
    I've worked in video games, fashion, retail, marketing, internet and promotional product businesses, and all of them were lively, social places where even the finance people were engaging, enthusiastic, and always up for a night out.

By the same token, I've worked in one or two finance teams where there was no spirit at all. I never lasted long in those places. I think it mostly just depends where you are, and it's one thing I try to etablish at the interview stage. Asking for a tour of the office at your interview will give you a clue as to whether it's the right kind of place for you.

That's the point I was trying to make when I asked whether it was a firm of accountants or a firm doing something else where he was the (an) accountant.

In my experience the ethos is very different between the two scenarios.
  • Options

Is she fit?

hoping so!
  • Options

Huskaris said:

I’d finished my CSEs at school (for what they were worth) and Dad asked me my plans. I had my job lined up starting in August and planned that the interim months would be spent popping into school, playing a bit of cricket and general relaxation.

This seemed to turn Dad (who hitherto had a perfect record of being a wonderful, perfect human being), into a raging bull. He delicately pointed out that if he was sweating his arse off to put food on the table, the least he expected of me was to get an effing job. Dad also shocked me when he called me a name (lazy *) that questioned his own fatherhood.

Two days later I found myself working in Woolworths, manhandling about a ton of the gardening product ‘dried blood’. from the back of a lorry up to the stockroom. This was hardly what I’d planned, as the dust from the product choked the hell out of me and removed all moisture from my mouth for the following three days..

On day two I was told in no uncertain terms by a young couple in the stockroom to get lost for twenty minutes. I was a very naive 16 year old and wondered why they didn’t require my help. Very strange.

Midday day three. The smarmy manager handed me a bucket, a brillo pad and a pair of pink rubber gloves. I was shocked to learn that he expected me to remove the black deposit that gathers at the base of the counters. He seemed equally shocked when I told him that I had no intention of doing it. There followed a frank exchange of views. It ended in me requesting that he made my cards be made up. I recall wondering if that was the correct terminology as the words left my mouth. Either way I was on a roll now and demanded that he should do it forthwith as I dramatically headed for the door.

Phew, the blast of cold air on my face as I left the cauldron of the shop was pure heaven.

I cut a forlorn character on the bus home though as I considered the less than spectacular start to my working life. Maybe God had made a mistake, placing me in a lifestyle that wasn’t really my bag? And then there was Dad, what was I going to tell him?

What happened with your dad as a result of all this?!?!!
    It was meant as a rhetorical question @Huskaris :smile: It was all OK though he thought I’d done the right thing and in any case I picked up another job in a couple of days. Ir was 1970 and casual work was always available - if you wasn’t too fussy.
    That's the worst sequel I have ever read...
    IdleHans said:

If accountants had any social skills, they wouldnt be accountants.

I know this to be true.

I'm an accountant.

But you know you to send a cold heartless bill for not much work at all
  • Options

Croydon said:

Turn round and say to her that your only obeying the voices in your head and then in the brief silence shout out: I'M FUCKING TELLING HER!!

Croydon said:

Turn round and say to her that your only obeying the voices in your head and then in the brief silence shout out: I'M FUCKING TELLING HER!!
    This made me crack up!!

• Options

"I'm going to be leaving as I have been offered a place at Uni"

"Congratulations, that's a great move"

"Thank you"

"Everything ok with working out your notice period?"

"Yep, no problem."

"Great. Congratulations again."

FUCKING MENTAL - shit went down...

Congrats mate! You'll enjoy uni!
  • Options
    The noughties were a dark time for me.