Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best "Resignations"

Today I walked out of my job.

I have been there for 3 and a half weeks and realised that it wasn't for me. The people are unsociable and the work is constant and monotonous. I was being managed by someone who is barely senior to me in years (27, I am 25) and she was clearly not capable to manage anyone. I have had no direction in my role and I seized my opportunity.

She went for an hour and a half long meeting, I couldn't be bothered to have the conversation with her because I am a) a coward who avoids confrontation and b) really couldn't be bothered to wait for her to come back from the meeting, I had made my mind up mid way through her and her boss reeling off a list of inane bullshit they wanted me to do. I would like to point out this is completely uncharacteristic of me, I have never walked out of anything in my life, and I am still having shaky feelings inside several hours later.

I sent her an email, to her and the representative in HR, explaining that I was leaving because of the fact I have been given no direction etc (to be fair it really was awful but don't want to bore with the details in this post). I sent it on delay so that it would send 20 minutes after i left the building. I packed up my stuff and very quietly walked out of the door.

So, over to you, what is the worst job you have ever had, but more importantly, what is the best way that you have "resigned" from that job. If your job lives are anything like your love lives, I am in for a treat!

Comments

• Options
    tom- k said:

Some clothes shop in Bromley in the mid 90's. My new manager was a 18 year old Chavette and I was 22 at the time and after a part time job over summer back from Uni.
    She said I had to work Boxing Day for 2 hours and New Year's Day for an 1 on minimum wage with no overtime.
    I told her I wouldn't do it and started putting on my jacket to quit, she told the other members of staff that I didn't haven't the guts to quit. I walked out with with my two fingers in the air and said "I think I do!" Never went back

Fantastic. Retail must have the highest rate of people sticking 2 fingers in the air and walking out.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I have been there for 3 and a half weeks and realised that it wasn't for me. The people are unsociable and the work is constant and monotonous. I was being managed by someone who is barely senior to me in years (27, I am 25) and she was clearly not capable to manage anyone. I have had no direction in my role and I seized my opportunity.

She went for an hour and a half long meeting, I couldn't be bothered to have the conversation with her because I am a) a coward who avoids confrontation and b) really couldn't be bothered to wait for her to come back from the meeting, I had made my mind up mid way through her and her boss reeling off a list of inane bullshit they wanted me to do. I would like to point out this is completely uncharacteristic of me, I have never walked out of anything in my life, and I am still having shaky feelings inside several hours later.

I sent her an email, to her and the representative in HR, explaining that I was leaving because of the fact I have been given no direction etc (to be fair it really was awful but don't want to bore with the details in this post). I sent it on delay so that it would send 20 minutes after i left the building. I packed up my stuff and very quietly walked out of the door.

So, over to you, what is the worst job you have ever had, but more importantly, what is the best way that you have "resigned" from that job. If your job lives are anything like your love lives, I am in for a treat!

Probably not what you are going to want to hear but you need to come up with a good story for your next employer as to why you only lasted 3 weeks. I wouldn't mention the bit where you had a problem because your immediate boss was only 2 years older than you and incapable of managing you. Hopefully your job wasn't in a regulated bank otherwise the reference might be an issue - you can't not mention you worked at the place because it will be on the P45 your new employer will want off you.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

I've never managed to get one of those email timer delay things to work. I'd have defo bcc'd myself to make sure it arrived.

So as an addition to the story, I actually did cc myself to make sure it arrived. It did not.... I then had to send it off my personal email on my heavily delayed train from London Bridge (thanks Southeastern!)
    Haha that's hilarious as I swear blind that delay sending thing just doesn't work and I was hoping you were going to prove me wrong!
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Probably not what you are going to want to hear but you need to come up with a good story for your next employer as to why you only lasted 3 weeks. I wouldn't mention the bit where you had a problem because your immediate boss was only 2 years older than you and incapable of managing you. Hopefully your job wasn't in a regulated bank otherwise the reference might be an issue - you can't not mention you worked at the place because it will be on the P45 your new employer will want off you.
    Quite simply I won't tell them. That's why I left so quickly. I won't give my new employer my P45. I will just have a one month gap in my CV which I can explain as being a month that I took off for summer between jobs. I was BCCd into my reference from my previous company and I don't think that will be an issue thankfully...
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

I've never managed to get one of those email timer delay things to work. I'd have defo bcc'd myself to make sure it arrived.

So as an addition to the story, I actually did cc myself to make sure it arrived. It did not.... I then had to send it off my personal email on my heavily delayed train from London Bridge (thanks Southeastern!)
    Haha that's hilarious as I swear blind that delay sending thing just doesn't work and I was hoping you were going to prove me wrong!
    Haha clearly it does not!!! I learnt a lesson there!! I wanted to send the email and then walk out because neither of the people were at their desks who were in the email but I was worried one might be in another part of the building and able to receive emails, and then come running so had to use delay. Luckily I did CC myself otherwise I would have never known.

That's a good lesson though. Email delay does not work.
  • Options
    I have walked out of a few jobs but in this day and age I'd never leave an email saying why. Real hostage to fortune that.
    But gòod luck and I hope the next job is the one that ticks your boxes.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

Quite simply I won't tell them. That's why I left so quickly. I won't give my new employer my P45. I will just have a one month gap in my CV which I can explain as being a month that I took off for summer between jobs. I was BCCd into my reference from my previous company and I don't think that will be an issue thankfully...
    I take it your name won't pop up on a social
    Media site for you joining/working with this firm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

I take it your name won't pop up on a social
    Media site for you joining/working with this firm.
    Deleted it the second I left from my Linkedin, no trace at all.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I have walked out of a few jobs but in this day and age I'd never leave an email saying why. Real hostage to fortune that.

Thank you! Like I said I have never walked out of anything before, but for the first time I am in a position where I have enough money to be able to afford a couple of months off if it comes to it. The email was well received by the company and we have had a friendly dialogue, effectively agreeing I shouldn't have to work my weeks notice etc.

I just want a friendly place where I can work as an accountant. I really struggle with the stereotypical idea of accountants, it is completely true, I just want to work in a place where people care about how you are doing and want a chat occasionally. I was told it was sociable before I joined, when I joined and then for the 3 weeks, but I think about 3 people talked to me. Because of the structure I only ever had cause to talk to one person in my job. It was very, very lonely...
  • Options
    Absolutely one of the best feel good moments you can have, walking out on a job you hate and from a boss you despise.
    I did it about 15 years ago. I started off politely informing HR this isn't the place for me and please make my cards up and send them on. Then quickly getting out of hand with the managing director and then on to my manager who seemed shocked and surprised that," I wouldn't even sit down with him and discuss the problem". To which I replied, "you spoke earlier, leave it at that ".
    Very edited and tame version.

• Options
    Twice walked out of jobs.

First time I was working for a well known bookies. Was on a zero hour contract but they kept on calling me to cover other people's hours. I also had another job and was working 7 days a week, full days, some evenings and weekends. My first daughter had also just been born.
    I woke up one Sunday morning and thought no, can't do it anymore. The manager was the type to talk you round if you got into a conversation and so I simply stopped going. Wasn't proud of it.

Second time I was going back into employment after being self employed. I got some basic temp work at my former employers, I had been given the impression this would allow me to apply for suitable internal posts, within an hour I found out this was not the case. I was massively over qualified for the temp work and had completed the days work well before lunch time. I hadn't signed any contracts etc and mulled things over whilst having lunch. Thought sod it and went home. My ego definitely played a part. I previously had worked for them for 10 years and felt if one work organisation should know my value, it should be them. I emailed them later.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

iainment said:

Thank you! Like I said I have never walked out of anything before, but for the first time I am in a position where I have enough money to be able to afford a couple of months off if it comes to it. The email was well received by the company and we have had a friendly dialogue, effectively agreeing I shouldn't have to work my weeks notice etc.

I just want a friendly place where I can work as an accountant. I really struggle with the stereotypical idea of accountants, it is completely true, I just want to work in a place where people care about how you are doing and want a chat occasionally. I was told it was sociable before I joined, when I joined and then for the 3 weeks, but I think about 3 people talked to me. Because of the structure I only ever had cause to talk to one person in my job. It was very, very lonely...
    I'm currently looking for an accountant, can you pm me your email?
  • Options
    Don't do that, thought Katrien had resigned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Huskaris said:

Huskaris said:

The P45 isn't too much of an issue, HMRC do "Starter Checklist" for this (it's actually the same as the old P46 for when you've lost a P45 as far as I can tell): available here. I wouldn't worry too much, I've neglected to hand over my P45 previously - I think after I'd negotiated a better salary by lying about my previous one.

A months no time either really.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

First ever job was in a cafe at 16. Did one shift and they asked me to come back. I said Charlton were at home next week, so no chance. They pointed out it was a Saturday job. I sill said 'no dice' and walked off. Parents weren't pleased.

Also walked out of a job at Blockbuster Video after a year of free Doritos. Chucked my keys at my boss and left cos I thought she was a bit mad. Felt amazing that did.

Still, I do wonder @Huskaris if you stand a better chance of finding what you're looking for if you talk to your line managers about anything that's bothering you. A girl at my work is struggling with some stuff, she would have quit by now if she hadn't spoken to her line manager, but right now seems happy as anyone. Which is a bugger, cos I think she might be a complete lunatic.

First of all brilliant story!

I know what you mean about line managers, where I previously worked I was given permission to work on projects outside of my team, it was great and I managed to go to Canada for a few days and Rotterdam on a day trip. Here I just didn't have a dialogue with my manager, it really wasn't working out.

Perhaps I should point out my predecessor resigned on the last day before her probation and walked out the door that day...
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Huskaris I'm also an accountant. Several decades ago I started for a small outfit with 3 in the office. These days all ledgers are integrated and at interview I asked if theirs were. Yes I was told. They weren't. Boss's BS recs were just a list of transactions. He had no clue how to run a company. I walked out at end of day. He sued me for lack of notice and cost of ad. He turned up with a lawyer but wore a suit with trainers. My defence of mis-representation was accepted within qtr of an hour. Stressful though!