Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hyperandrogenism / Caster Semenya & others

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    I actually think that the decision is the correct decision. As she has unusually high T levels the playing field is not level unless they manage her levels. 
    Why just pick on testosterone? There are a number of factors that don't make for a level playing field.

Simolest solution is to remove gender categories. 
  • edited May 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    I actually think that the decision is the correct decision. As she has unusually high T levels the playing field is not level unless they manage her levels. 
    Why just pick on testosterone? There are a number of factors that don't make for a level playing field.

Not sure I'd be happy with seeing the end to women's athletics. How would you feel about disbanding the Charlton ladies team and them being told that there's one team now and that they have to compete with and against men?
  • And obviously I'm no great fan of biological essentialism either, but this is a case where the biology surely helps her cause!
  • edited May 2019
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&biw=1366&bih=625&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=DK7JXL-UH6-LlwT0tIywDA&q=castor+semenya&oq=castor+semenya&gs_l=img.12...0.0..58444...0.0..0.0.0.......1......gws-wiz-img.PdDpUKm78rI

She has the physique of a man, when you view photographs.
    It's a shame for her, but it's certainly not fair for Semenya to compete with women.
  • Why do we split kids football ?
    Let the U8's play the U23's in future.
  • *steps away from the keyboard*
  • Leuth said:
    This is dreadful of course and hardly even to do with sport. This is, as usual, about the policing of women's bodies, with a side-order of racial discrimination 
    You know me man, I'm pretty damn liberal, but I'm struggling to see your thought processes that have led to this conclusion.

I sort of get the policing bodies thing, but when we're talking about something in the context of an all-women arena, I don't think it's quite the right angle.

As for racial discrimination - black athletes tend to dominate track and field anyway. I don't think Semenya's "blackness" is (consciously) affecting the decision making here.
  • edited May 2019
    Why do we split kids football ?
    Let the U8's play the U23's in future.
    You may jest but the Australian women's national team lost 7-0 to an U16 boys junior team in 2016. 
  • https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&biw=1366&bih=625&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=DK7JXL-UH6-LlwT0tIywDA&q=castor+semenya&oq=castor+semenya&gs_l=img.12...0.0..58444...0.0..0.0.0.......1......gws-wiz-img.PdDpUKm78rI

It's a shame for her, but it's certainly not fair for Semanya to compete with women.
    I am delighted you're not an authority on the matter. And I suspect most others share that sentiment.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&biw=1366&bih=625&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=DK7JXL-UH6-LlwT0tIywDA&q=castor+semenya&oq=castor+semenya&gs_l=img.12...0.0..58444...0.0..0.0.0.......1......gws-wiz-img.PdDpUKm78rI

It's a shame for her, but it's certainly not fair for Semanya to compete with women.
    I am delighted you're not an authority on the matter. And I suspect most others share that sentiment.
    So if you "cover up" the longer bit of hair at the back, you don't think she looks like a man ?
    She looks like a much more rugged man than I do.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Not sure I'd be happy with seeing the end to women's athletics. How would you feel about disbanding the Charlton ladies team and them being told that there's one team now and that they have to compete with and against men?
    We seem to be reaching a point where we are unable to clearly define genders - from a legal perspective this will be a minefield.

Where do intersex, transgender etc competitors compete and should they have separate categories? 

There is no simple answer. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

We seem to be reaching a point where we are unable to clearly define genders - from a legal perspective this will be a minefield.

Where do intersex, transgender etc competitors compete and should they have separate categories? 

Biological sex and today's definition of gender are two separate things. Competition should be based on biological sex, not gender.

That's about the long and short of it, which is what makes Semenya and Chand's cases so controversial. I'm actually on their side in this instance as they're biological females that just happen to have a rare form of increased testosterone that gives them somewhat of a competitive edge.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Seems to me like there will be new categories of athletes created that are specific to their “type” - similar to what currently happens in Paralympics. 
  • PaddyP17 said:

So if you "cover up" the longer bit of hair at the back, you don't think she looks like a man ?
    Looks more rugged than you and I bet she prunes her own tree's  ;)  
  • Dazzler21 said:

Biological sex and today's definition of gender are two separate things. Competition should be based on biological sex, not gender.

That's about the long and short of it, which is what makes Semenya and Chand's cases so controversial. I'm actually on their side in this instance as they're biological females that just happen to have a rare form of increased testosterone that gives them somewhat of a competitive edge.
    I don't think the biological sex definition is as clear cut as you're saying. The athletics authorities have struggled with it for a long time and the focus on testosterone seems a bit arbitary.

• PaddyP17 said:

Is that a euphemism for shaving her plums?
  • edited May 2019
    Dazzler21 said:

I don't think the biological sex definition is as clear cut as you're saying. The athletics authorities have struggled with it for a long time and the focus on testosterone seems a bit arbitary.

Maybe their regulations need to be changed to include other hormonal and genetic targets. The risk then is making the entry harder for those we seek to help. It's easier to make something worse, by changing the rules, than it is to make something better. Especially if what you're looking to change is already running at a pretty optimal level and in a largely fair way.
  • edited May 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

It's more that you've basically said "she looks like a man and therefore shouldn't be allowed to compete against women".

That's reductive, simplistic, and redundant in myriad ways, doing nothing to advance the conversation.
    I never said because she looks like a man she shouldn't be allowed to compete against women.

It's the high testosterone levels, which enable her to have a man's physique, which gives her an unfair advantage over the other competitors.

I believe in being fair, but fair to everyone. I don't think one person's rights has priority over let's say 1,000 women's rights.

I think the answer has to be separate categories, with like being able to compete with like.

• Sponsored links:

• I admire the strength of character Semenya has shown to keep going given the massive anount of abuse levelled at her. It must be a very difficult life to be villified in such a public manner.
  • Leuth said:
    And obviously I'm no great fan of biological essentialism either,
    Neither is my Nan.

What?  ;)
  • So they're going to test athletes to make sure they haven't taken stuff, and test athletes to make sure they have taken stuff.

• edited May 2019
    Leuth said:
    This is dreadful of course and hardly even to do with sport. This is, as usual, about the policing of women's bodies, with a side-order of racial discrimination 
    It's a shame for her, but it's certainly not fair for Semenya to compete with women.
     There's certainly some tough competition for "worst take" award on this thread.
  • PaddyP17 said:

I thought this was some kind of euphemism and then I realized 
  • It is an issue for women's sport though. On one side, you could argue that you can't penalise a basketball player for being 7ft, even though he/she has an advantage over a 5ft player. But in Semenya's case, you are saying  to women with normal testosterone levels that they might as well not bother competing as they won't beat her. But her argument is like the basketball player, it is a natural advantage. 

The logical solution is for women to compete with men, then it won't matter. But we know that is certain aspects they can't. The whole notion of women's sport accepts its participants are not the strongest or fastest. Because there is women's sport (as there should be) I don't think it is possible to find a fair solution.
  • It is an issue for women's sport though. On one side, you could argue that you can't penalise a basketball player for being 7ft, even though he/she has an advantage over a 5ft player. But in Semenya's case, you are saying  to women with normal testosterone levels that they might as well not bother competing as they won't beat her. But her argument is like the basketball player, it is a natural advantage. 

The logical solution is for women to compete with men, then it won't matter. But we know that is certain aspects they can't. The whole notion of women's sport accepts its participants are not the strongest or fastest. Because there is women's sport (as there should be) I don't think it is possible to find a fair solution.
    What exactly is 'normal' though? She's a natural human being living a healthy life and isn't trying to enhance her body through use of artificial drugs or stimulants. What could be more normal? It's only societal pressures that decide what normal is, there's nothing intrinsic about 'normal'.
  • It’s 100% right that they bring it to a level playing field 

what’s she scared of healthy competition for once 

• clive said:

Caster Semenya has lost a landmark case against athletics' governing body meaning it will be allowed to restrict testosterone levels in female runners.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) rejected the South African's challenge against the IAAF's new rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48102479

Well,thats bollocks....