Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    If Roland doesn't strengthen in midfield we will not be challenging IMO.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I have absolutely no idea how Ricky Holmes was playing in League Two aged 28.

Exceptionally good, even at League One level.

read his very good interview from Saturday's prog .. it explains all
  • Options

Went on my brothers (scab - winky face) ticket as he's on holiday.

Decent performance against an average Shrewsbury team. My first look at the team and Holmes was the stand out - he will be a Valley hero! The new lad up front was a handful and a lot more agile than I was expecting, so I think he will be a real asset in this league.

North lower felt busy being in it (if all sat down - sad face) but I'm sure that was misleading. We moved upstairs second half and the atmosphere was decent tbf.

Strange feeling for me though - looking around everyone looked so normal and oblivious to the on-going issue with the owners. When I say normal I mean you would never have guessed in a million years what is happening to the club they are watching and that's what dawned on me most - a big percentage of those who continue to go, don't, I think, see any problem with what is occurring at the club and that if the team do well, I honestly can't see them thinking about protesting, let alone actually doing it.

It's like the support is cut in half and I can see problems in the future if (and when) us boycotters return for the purpose of a protest - I can't see it being well received by those who seem blinkered to what is happening to their club, or just don't care about anything outside the game to game.

It made me feel that it will be a continuing, long, and ultimately losing battle and that depressed me as I personally don't feel I can support the club how I used to until the owners have gone.

So sad it's come to this when good performances and enjoyable (on the face of it) days and evenings like last night are either not witnessed by some or don't feel how they should feel.

I only hope the support at Walsall will both get behind the team but also express an anti ownership vibe too.

Especially if we are near the top of the table. I fully expect a large percent will take the stance of lets suspended protesting until the end of the season.

I am certain whether under Roland or the new owners we will be playing League two football at some point in the next 3 years.

that's it sport .. always look on the Brightside ((:>)
  • Options

If Roland doesn't strengthen in midfield we will not be challenging IMO.

Doubt we'll be getting any actual signings in, as we do still have the likes of Ba, Kashi and Diarra to return at various points. Fully expect we'll make do with a loan signing to keep us going until January.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we do make a permanent signing though.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Kashi is unlikely to be any use this season. Ba seems out of favour. Diarra will bring class but not energy. For me it is something that needs to happen. You have to have all the pieces in your jigsaw, but our best eleven last season was more than decent - we didn't have the right coverage when even an idiot could see what was missing so you are probably right to doubt.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    In the picture above, Slade looks happy that the fans called his name, RJ does not seem so pleased, and yet the crowd acknowledged his name when read out
  • Options

Decent performance against an average Shrewsbury team. My first look at the team and Holmes was the stand out - he will be a Valley hero! The new lad up front was a handful and a lot more agile than I was expecting, so I think he will be a real asset in this league.

North lower felt busy being in it (if all sat down - sad face) but I'm sure that was misleading. We moved upstairs second half and the atmosphere was decent tbf.

Strange feeling for me though - looking around everyone looked so normal and oblivious to the on-going issue with the owners. When I say normal I mean you would never have guessed in a million years what is happening to the club they are watching and that's what dawned on me most - a big percentage of those who continue to go, don't, I think, see any problem with what is occurring at the club and that if the team do well, I honestly can't see them thinking about protesting, let alone actually doing it.

It's like the support is cut in half and I can see problems in the future if (and when) us boycotters return for the purpose of a protest - I can't see it being well received by those who seem blinkered to what is happening to their club, or just don't care about anything outside the game to game.

It made me feel that it will be a continuing, long, and ultimately losing battle and that depressed me as I personally don't feel I can support the club how I used to until the owners have gone.

So sad it's come to this when good performances and enjoyable (on the face of it) days and evenings like last night are either not witnessed by some or don't feel how they should feel.

I only hope the support at Walsall will both get behind the team but also express an anti ownership vibe too.

Especially if we are near the top of the table. I fully expect a large percent will take the stance of lets suspended protesting until the end of the season.

I am certain whether under Roland or the new owners we will be playing League two football at some point in the next 3 years.

Why?

Under new owners, surely with the increased gates we'd be more successful, while even under RD we'd have to be seriously bad to get relegated from this division - we need more signings, but the majority of clubs in this division would love to sign the likes of Ajose, Magennis and Holmes

• Options
    I think the final table will show that most teams in this league are better than Shrewsbury though!
  • Options

Great post. Hoping exactly the same for saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Why?

Under new owners, surely with the increased gates we'd be more successful, while even under RD we'd have to be seriously bad to get relegated from this division - we need more signings, but the majority of clubs in this division would love to sign the likes of Ajose, Magennis and Holmes

IMO If we do not get promoted this season, then I cannot see players like the one you have named staying.

I am seriously worried about our plan for next season because I think the strategy is go for broke this season.

• Options
    I understand that Health and Safety refused Russell the time honoured opportunity of the "Tunnel Jump" last night due to safety issues, both for the crowd and RS himself.

This was after a practice run earlier in the week when the clubs phone lines were deluged by nervous local residents convinced that the club had started fracking without permission at the Valley...
  • Options
    Shrewsbury were one of the worst sides in this division last season. Walsall will be a real test.
  • Options

Shrewsbury were one of the worst sides in this division last season. Walsall will be a real test.

Haven't started very well though so maybe a good time to play them?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

cafctom said:

Stopped buying programmes in the present circumstances as have many. Any chance of elaborating please?
    I see, you don't want to buy programmes BUT want all the info contained therein .. pay £3 to a charity of my choice and I will reveal all .. err.. about the Holmes interview that is ((:>)
  • Options

Haven't started very well though so maybe a good time to play them?
    I expect Shrewsbury fans were saying the same yesterday afternoon.

• Options

LenGlover said:

cafctom said:

Stopped buying programmes in the present circumstances as have many. Any chance of elaborating please?
    I see, you don't want to buy programmes BUT want all the info contained therein .. pay £3 to a charity of my choice and I will reveal all .. err.. about the Holmes interview that is ((:>)
    Not wanting to give Roland the money is why I don't buy them! I ALWAYS bought programmes until the protests started.

More than happy to donate £3 to a charity of your choice.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

cafctom said:

Not wanting to give Roland the money is why I don't buy them! I ALWAYS bought programmes until the protests started.

you're gent Len .. briefly, Holmes says that as a teenager he was very small and no FL club fancied him .. he signed up with the Chelmsford City academy and then went on to do a sport science degree at Uni and was playing football for fun .. after Uni (presumably he could not get a gig as a sports scientist) he was working on the building sites with his mates and played as a semi pro for Chelmsford (I guess this would be when he was about 20/21? .. he's 28 now I believe) .. he sussed out that a few lower league clubs were interested, it was then now or never so he took the plunge and only at a comparatively late age was he picked up by Barnet, then moved to Pompey and then on to the Northampton ..

1/2 price as it's you Len £1.50 to cancer research/prostate research or similar por favour ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

cafctom said:

you're gent Len .. briefly, Holmes says that as a teenager he was very small and no FL club fancied him .. he signed up with the Chelmsford City academy and then went on to do a sport science degree at Uni and was playing football for fun .. after Uni (presumably he could not get a gig as a sports scientist) he was working on the building sites with his mates and played as a semi pro for Chelmsford (I guess this would be when he was about 20/21? .. he's 28 now I believe) .. he sussed out that a few lower league clubs were interested, it was then now or never so he took the plunge and only at a comparatively late age was he picked up by Barnet, then moved to Pompey and then on to the Northampton ..

1/2 price as it's you Len £1.50 to cancer research/prostate research or similar por favour ((:>)
    Guy I worked with is a Portsmouth fan. Rates him very highly.
  • Options
    Encouraged by the reports on Holmes. Along with Yann, Andy Reid was probably my favourite player of the last 10 years.

Don't know how comparable Reidy and Holmes are, but what made Reidy stand out for me was he was always a hive of activity - always wanted the ball, and when he had always wanted to make something happen, passing and moving with energy, imagination and directness. Sounds like Holmes attacked the game last night in the same fashion. Having a player like that in your side can lift others and the crowd and drag everyone round to a positive mindset. Early days for him but he sounds a potential talisman.

His sports science background is interesting and perhaps explains why he has kept himself in such good shape (certainly not like Reidy in that respect). Seems like a man enjoying his late flourishing career and making up for lost time (perhaps like Yann).

Hopefully we'll get a TV gig sometime so I can watch him for myself.
  • Options

That's it! Why oh why oh why couldn't we muster any verve or wit last season - or the seasons before? We went for the jugular right from the off last night, sweeping forward, using the flanks, and firing crosses that were accurate and dangerous.

Holmes is a real cracker, skinning opponents in forward moves, threading incisive passes and sprinting for the return. All shoulders and no neck but with a mop of hair, as a mighty atom he resembles Allan Simonsen - who himself would have applauded Holmes' first, solo, goal: a surging run then a precise, curving shot from outside the box to the top right.

His second, direct from a corner, was the first time I've witnessed this extraordinary feat since Jimmy Greaves stunned Tommy Lawrence, the Liverpool keeper, at White Hart Lane in 1965. Oh, whatever happened to the wonderful Danny Green!

Of course there were some familiar failings. After six minutes a Shrewsbury corner flashed right across our six-yard box: a toenail away from 0-1. And after years of vacancy we still need a creative man in central midfield. Unlike other posters, I saw the Shrews as a fluent, mobile outfit. But we nailed them, skewered them without any retreat to suicidal navel-gazing. "One-nil," as David Coleman used to squawk. "Two-nil," and "Three-nil" - all before half-time.

Magennis looks tremendous: just the right mix of muscle and agility we need in attack. Watching him leap to win headers with a deft knock or flick was a gust of fresh air; we haven't enjoyed these qualities since Yann Kermorgant. Magennis is sharp on the ground, too: searching and probing, eager to anticipate a quick throw-in, and intent on one thing only: bursting these new hexagonal onion-bags.

Slade was cock-a-hoop at the end, clapping us vigorously and whipping off his hat to reveal a bald bonce, gleaming in the floodlights. It's a baseball cap, not a Fedora - and we'll storm this league if we grab our opponents by the throat like we did last night.

Bring on Walsall! COYR!

Need more posts from you mate.
    Quality
  • Options
    kimbo said:

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

cafctom said:

Guy I worked with is a Portsmouth fan. Rates him very highly.
    I've seen him twice so far .. he is VERY tricky and those there last night now know all about his shooting ability .. I will stick my neck out and say he'll have a terrific season and so will we all @ CAFC
  • Options
    Big like
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Holmes will have a great season as long as he stays fit. It is so refreshing to watch a player who just runs at defenders. We do need to keep our feet on the ground though. We had a spell in the first half were we were terrific, but a very poor Shrewsbury team had a couple of decent chances - one they definitely should have put away. I think all three goals were down to poor defending - the first they should have fouled Holmes, the second, they should have picked up Jackson and the third - well the third went straight in from a corner.

We definitely deserved to win the game but we will face tougher tests and we will have to improve defensively. I think we have the right personnel to do this. Offensively we look strong at this level, but the midfield just doesn't have the dynamism for me. It is true Diarra may return, but Kashi probably won't. But we need a bit of energy and ability to press sides and the ball goes through the midfield too easily and will continue to do so. Diarra will bring qulaity, but not energy. It is easy to assume I am being critical of the current players in midfield. I am not. I am happy with them all, but a midfield of Foley, Jackson and Crofts isn't going to be good enough even at this level. Maybe the fact that our defence and attack will be amongst the strongest will compensate sufficiently for a good season but we should be cautious in our optimism. If we bring in a midfielder who fills the gap and can stay fit for most games, we could have a successful season.
  • Options

Holmes brings pace which helps to create space, two creatures which in recent times have become endangered species. He is very focused and direct, and scoring direct from a corner - wow !!

Konsa is improving with every game - he will not be the new Rufus or the new Gomez, but he is already the new Konsa, and last night stood up well to considerable bullying. He is learning fast. Would really like to see him alongside the BFG.

Rudd has been an excellent signing and Magennis had a horse of a game, with promising signs of linking up well with lonely Ajose. Lookman has breathtaking talent - can we not be treated to a whole 90 mins before he goes ?

All in all steady and continuing progress - very welcome after the abyss of Saturday's first half.

• Options
    We play 4-3-3 against Walsall and I think we will win. Providing the starting front three are Holmes, Lookman and Magennis.
  • Options

Encouraged by the reports on Holmes. Along with Yann, Andy Reid was probably my favourite player of the last 10 years.

Don't know how comparable Reidy and Holmes are, but what made Reidy stand out for me was he was always a hive of activity - always wanted the ball, and when he had always wanted to make something happen, passing and moving with energy, imagination and directness. Sounds like Holmes attacked the game last night in the same fashion. Having a player like that in your side can lift others and the crowd and drag everyone round to a positive mindset. Early days for him but he sounds a potential talisman.

His sports science background is interesting and perhaps explains why he has kept himself in such good shape (certainly not like Reidy in that respect). Seems like a man enjoying his late flourishing career and making up for lost time (perhaps like Yann).

Hopefully we'll get a TV gig sometime so I can watch him for myself.

Swindon away. Saturday 12 November. Midday kick-off.