Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Shrewsbury - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options

Gonna remove the Millwall related posts in a min, no more please. No offence Millwallfan, but this a thread about a Charlton game which most of us don't want taking off piste needlessly

Fair enough. Will be back on nearer our game in October.
    A busy period for me coming up so got to give t'interweb a break for a bit. Adios
  • Options
    A very comfortable win, effectively secured in an excellent first half hour, which left Shrewsbury shell-shocked. The whole team were much sharper but the game was ignited by an electrifying performance from Ricky Holmes.

The second half was predictably much lower key and it was such a shame that Ajose couldn't put away a pretty easy chance late on to put the icing on the cake. He needs a goal and hopefully it will come sooner rather than later.

Holmes was tremendous and there were very strong performances from Magennis and Konsa. We were solid in central midfield and Slade has said that he is looking to add a player or two in that area, which we will need to mount a serious challenge.

We did sit deeper in the second half but the bottom line was that the opposition posed no serious threat to our goal and we saw the game out comfortably. Shrewsbury played some neat stuff in midfield but were very shaky at the back and their shooting was probably the worst I have seen for a long time.

A confidence boosting win for Russell Slade an the players and this team should get better with more games. We need to hold on to Lookman in order to reduce the creative burden on Holmes and strengthen in the middle of the park. If we can do that, we'll have a chance.
  • Options
    Wasn't there.
    Great win guys - well done.
    Love Jacko to bits.
  • Options

Still papers of cracks in midfield though. Better side would dominate us in the middle.

Shrewsbury weren't 3-0 bad. A league one side that tries to pass the ball and can spring them across the pitch.

Exactly , need to get a couple of midfielders signed otherwise its mid table .
  • Options
    Holmes was excellent. Magennis very strong and a threat up front. Konsa looks promising but sometimes shows his lack of experience.

Disappointed we didn't build on 3-0 and as a team we have plenty of effort but little flair.

Think we could get torn apart by a decent side.
  • Options
    On that showing, I'd say Holmes is the best player I've seen in a Charlton shirt in years. Magennis was good as was Crofts who won every second ball
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Thought the constant pressing by Foley and Crofts was very impressive - allowed Holmes the freedom to get on the ball:

None of that on here thanks. I thought it was decided during pre-season that they were slow, lack energy and should be squad players at best.
    It is worth some fans taking their attention away from the ball and focusing on how much running they get through. If we can somehow find a 4-2-1-3 formation with them holding could be very interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a night to remember for being possibly a seminal moment when things started to click and where the team started to gel and where the crowd could get optimistic about the season. holmes jackson, ezri, josh solly, all superb. What a great evening and it looks good for walsall
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

Good win, but felt the Scoreline flattered us a bit!
    A great strike, a dubious handball scrap and then a corner goal that you couldn't do again in 50 more atttempts
    Solid enough at the back, with midfield fluid but nothing really upfront in terms of goals- really can't see ajose getting more than 7/8 goals this season!
    Magennis looks a good signing!

Slightly annoyed at the speed that the fans are all over the players and Russell Slade - especially over the last few years history , and considering none of the managers under this regime got the same treatment albeit with better results!

Think a lot of teams could surprise this season - given the results seen tonight!

There's just something about an experienced English manager that just makes the fans more likely to accept him quicker. When the others came in, most of us knew little to nothing about them. The majority of fans knew about Slade and were more familiar with him, therefore it's proabably easier for them to accept him rather than the likes of Peeters or Luzon. Just a suggestion
  • Options

Scoham said:

Thought the constant pressing by Foley and Crofts was very impressive - allowed Holmes the freedom to get on the ball:

None of that on here thanks. I thought it was decided during pre-season that they were slow, lack energy and should be squad players at best.
    It is worth some fans taking their attention away from the ball and focusing on how much running they get through. If we can somehow find a 4-2-1-3 formation with them holding could be very interesting.
    Would like to see a front 3 of lookman magennis ajose with holmes sitting in the hole behind magennis and two more defensive minded midfielders behind holmes
  • Options
    Holmes was top notch. Magennis and crofts both had good games. Very good cameo from lookman. Disappointed with foley on the ball who would often miscontrol or pass poorly, good enough to be a squad player but not a starter imo
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

sammy391 said:

A great strike, a dubious handball scrap and then a corner goal that you couldn't do again in 50 more atttempts
    Solid enough at the back, with midfield fluid but nothing really upfront in terms of goals- really can't see ajose getting more than 7/8 goals this season!

Slightly annoyed at the speed that the fans are all over the players and Russell Slade - especially over the last few years history , and considering none of the managers under this regime got the same treatment albeit with better results!

Think a lot of teams could surprise this season - given the results seen tonight!

There's just something about an experienced English manager that just makes the fans more likely to accept him quicker. When the others came in, most of us knew little to nothing about them. The majority of fans knew about Slade and were more familiar with him, therefore it's proabably easier for them to accept him rather than the likes of Peeters or Luzon. Just a suggestion
    Think that sounds most likely!
    Probably thankful to have a manager we've heard of!

Highlights perhaps how disillusioned I actually am I suppose :weary:
  • Options
    Second best Foley moment was a successful backheel
  • Options
    Super Clive where do you sit? As I think I overhead a fella behind me talking about this bet
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Best Foley moment was when he gave it away really badly, in a sort of 'people will give him 4 in Player Ratings' way, then immediately charged back and won it, putting him back to a 6 ;)

I wasn't saying anything about his defensive capabilities, I said he is poor on the ball. Foley performed his defensive duties very well tonight. That doesn't mean he didn't give it away and a move broke down even if he won it back after. He kept giving it away throughout the match.
  • Options
    Played as a team who are starting to gel. Holmes was terrific and seeing his individual goal - is what we go for! Magennis solid up front and Konsa another great game - deserves his place. Midfield pairing playing well together. Lookman didn't have much time but the few times he got on the ball showed his technical ability and his natural class. Stung the keeper's hands and it was a shame Ajose couldn't get the spill. Enjoyable evening.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wow that was better. Magennis and Konsa were stand out and I thought Ajose looked decent. Crofts also put his foot in.
    But Ricky Holmes....amazing.
    Skill, determination, style. John Robinson with a bit more attackingflair.
    Love him already.
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

sammy391 said:

Maybe so, but I recall the initial reaction to Peeters being quite similar. I think we just like our managers to have less hair than ourselves.
  • Options
    MAYBE should've scored? lol
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Loved it. Warm night, good football and a lovely atmosphere. Please keep staying away, moaners.

Never mind all the squidgy stuff, what news of a blog update from Charlton Aesthetic?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Wow that was better. Magennis and Konsa were stand out and I thought Ajose looked decent. Crofts also put his foot in.
    But Ricky Holmes....amazing.
    Skill, determination, style. John Robinson with a bit more attackingflair.
    Love him already.

Can't make my mind up whether he's more like Killer in his focus on going for goal or more like Robinson in never giving up. I suspect he's more a combination of the two of them. He's great to watch
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Leuth said:

Loved it. Warm night, good football and a lovely atmosphere. Please keep staying away, moaners.

Never mind all the squidgy stuff, what news of a blog update from Charlton Aesthetic?
    Patience! CA is busy with Gilmore Girls right now
  • Options

Think that sounds most likely!
    Probably thankful to have a manager we've heard of!

Highlights perhaps how disillusioned I actually am I suppose :weary:

we've been asking for an english manager and players - now we have them we want to get behind them and see it work - hopefully more will ditch the boycott once they realise the strategy change is for real. Not saying we don't still want rid of RD but its in all our interests for the team to do well - we can enjoy the football and RD more likely to sell if we get promoted - the weird experiment is over so hopefully people start believing that and get back down there

• Options
    Leuth said:

MAYBE should've scored? lol

My memory may be doing me a disservice but the ball bounced awkwardly a moment just before he reached it from that rebound thing. But yeah.