Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Options
    Crusty54 said:

Who was our number 4? I only saw part of the game but he seemed to have a good touch and looked very confident under pressure.

Dijksteel - he is a class above the rest
    Thanks you three. I'd never seen him before. I watched for about 20 minutes and no one else made the impression that he did. The way that he jinked and swayed, making space for himself in tight spots was a pleasure to watch.
  • Options
    Dijksteel is more like Vieira than Aribo

Different types of player but dijksteel is more like Cousinsfirstbtime I've "got" Lapslie - so efficient at getting the ball back. Superb positionally
  • Options
    Worth noting Hull called back 5 on loan players plus the lads that have been involved in first team squad
    Tad harsh on boys have got them this far this season.

Facebook live fantastic. Incredible to be able to watch live on the bus to work on the other side of the world
  • Options
    ^ if we were in the same league position as Hull may may well have been able to call on Lookman, Gomez and Palmer too which shows just how well the academy has done in recent years.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Who was our number 4? I only saw part of the game but he seemed to have a good touch and looked very confident under pressure.

Dijksteel - he is a class above the rest
    I was saying that to my son last night. I would say a genuine exciting prospect.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

A cracking game of football, more entertaining than pretty well anything else I've seen at the Valley for some time.

When Regan Charles-Cook (another impressive substitute) bent in a beautiful shot in the second half of extra time after another fine spell of passing, it looked as if we were going to do it, especially when we got into injury time. Unfortunately, we sat deeper and deeper - no doubt fatigue played a big part at that stage - and Hull's striker converted a long cross into the box at the very death for their third headed goal of the night.

A performance full of heart and quality and a real credit to Jason Euell, everyone in the Academy and the club as a whole.

Overall, a great way to round off an otherwise depressing season.

Agreed with all of that.
    But with two or three minutes to go we were buzzing around their penalty area when someone had a weak left footed shot from just outside the area. The goalie cleared and we were on the back foot ever after. A more experienced side wouldn't have taken that shot, but would have held onto the ball, and edged towards the corner flag. Win a corner or free kick, and you've won the match.
    Call me a cynic....
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    seth plum said:

Incidentally Mitov made some marvellous saves.

He did. Would not have got to extra time without his wonder saves. MOM for me.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Did think with the Hull equaliser that Mitov came out into No Mans Land and should have stayed where he was. Ended up being a case of do I come and claim it, do I stay on the line yet ultimately did neither

Regardless though and as mentioned by others, he made some cracking saves, especially one in the 90th min which had he not made, it would never have gone to Extra Time in the first place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A couple of things:

1) After last night, I would have no qualms if Philips was our no. 1 next season, and Mitov was back up.

2) I am expecting to see Djiksteel play a larger part in the first team next season. I admit to being blinkered, and tend to concentrate on Charlton players, but I thought he was the best player on the pitch last night.
  • Options
    I think that Mitov is being released.
  • Options
    I can easily see a situation where at the start of next season there won't be Rudd, Phillips or Mitov around.
    I am aware that Phillips has another year on his contract.
  • Options
    Cummins has only played a handful of games. I agree about Bowry though.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Doughty seemed to improve our game when he came on.. Another prospect.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Blucher said:

A cracking game of football, more entertaining than pretty well anything else I've seen at the Valley for some time.

When Regan Charles-Cook (another impressive substitute) bent in a beautiful shot in the second half of extra time after another fine spell of passing, it looked as if we were going to do it, especially when we got into injury time. Unfortunately, we sat deeper and deeper - no doubt fatigue played a big part at that stage - and Hull's striker converted a long cross into the box at the very death for their third headed goal of the night.

A performance full of heart and quality and a real credit to Jason Euell, everyone in the Academy and the club as a whole.

Agreed with all of that.
    But with two or three minutes to go we were buzzing around their penalty area when someone had a weak left footed shot from just outside the area. The goalie cleared and we were on the back foot ever after. A more experienced side wouldn't have taken that shot, but would have held onto the ball, and edged towards the corner flag. Win a corner or free kick, and you've won the match.
    Call me a cynic....
    Their game management was poor in those last couple of minutes-a combination of youth and being knackered! As well at Hackett-Fairchild's shot, Ahearne-Grant had a good opportunity to head to the corner flag but tried to skin his man and they regained possession quickly.

Although our lads seemed to have more ability, overall I thought Hull deserved to go through as, for 100 minutes, they were the better organised team and without Mitov putting in an unbelievable performance we would have lost comfortably. Brilliant comeback though-the cheers for the equaliser sounded louder than some of the league games at the Valley this season!

Djiksteel has brilliant feet and Lapslie and Edwards looked good. A bit of first team action seemed to have gone to Aaron Barnes head as he was trying nutmegs and turns in areas he really should not have been which clearly frustrated Jason Euell. You could still see his quality though.

One oddity of the evening was Karl Robinson-after his entourage left at full time he spent the majority of extra time wandering up and down the area outside the tunnel on his mobile phone then stood just in the tunnel after the penalties but didn't bother to clap or shake hands with any of our players other than a quick word and pat on the back for Cummings, the centre half whose first name currently escapes me. Probably nothing to read into but I found it very strange.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

We had a lot of very neat and tidy, high tempo possession but, prior to that purple patch in extra time, couldn't get the final ball right and our forwards found it difficult to open Hull up and get shots away on goal. At times, we perhaps overplayed or made the wrong decisions in the final third. In contrast, Hull had much less of the ball but, as the game wore on, they looked increasingly dangerous and Mitov made some tremendous saves to keep us in it.

Our goose looked to be well and truly cooked when Hull went 2-0 up but Brandon Hanson, who had had a quiet game, fizzed in a beautiful low strike from distance to put us back in it. A couple of minutes later, Doughty (who did well when he entered the fray) produced a sublime piece of skill on the touchline to flick the ball past one man, beat another and then drove straight at the heart of the Hull defence before laying on a perfect pass for KAG to equalise. When Regan Charles-Cook (another impressive substitute) bent in a beautiful shot in the second half of extra time after another fine spell of passing, it looked as if we were going to do it, especially when we got into injury time. Unfortunately, we sat deeper and deeper - no doubt fatigue played a big part at that stage - and Hull's striker converted a long cross into the box at the very death for their third headed goal of the night.

A draw was probably a fair result overall against a strong Hull side and there was nothing that Mitov - our MoM - could do about their excellent penalties.

I think we will be seeing Diijksteel in our first team at some stage next season - especially given his physical ability. George Lapsie is also clearly a fine prospect with excellent awareness, although he probably needs more time at this level. Archie Edwards and Dan Bowry (only 18) also had good games, although the latter found it more challenging when Hull brought on a big and muscular centre forward. Like so many of our players, they have time to develop and mature.

Excellent summary as usual. I agree with this. JT's brother looked excellent when he came on, causing no end of problems. I thought Charles-Cook was our best player and Dijksteel excelled in extra time.

Trust a Charlton side to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.
  • Options
    How Mitov kept that 90th min strike out I will never know
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For completeness, Wednesday beat Hull 3-1 in the final.
  • Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/599168beac35b/u23s-preview-charlton-v-barnsley

First game of the season today at Greenwich Borough v Barnsley.

Says free to all supporters not just T holders or VG members
  • Options

U23 STARTING XI | Maynard-Brewer; Barnes, Bowry, Cummings, Edwards; Carter, Maloney, Lapslie; Anderson, Umerah, Hackett-Fairchild. #cafc

SUBS | Beeney, Blumberg, Doughty, Sarpong-Wiredu, Fernandes. #cafc

Seems Fernandes the only trialist still around. May even have signed a contract.

Umerah fit enough to start and Reeco isn't too big for his boots. Happy to play for the u23s after coming off the bench v Plymouth like the true pro he is.

Maynard=Brewer seems to have moved ahead of Beeney.
  • Options
    Disappointed KAG's not in there... Could do with the confidence boost.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Only if he scores
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    1-0 to Barnsley
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Or he could get crocked, and be out like Marshall for 3 months...
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Okay we'll settle for him running around more than any player in the first team and continuing to miss opportunity after opportunity. :trollface:
  • Options
    Jo Cummings makes it 1-1