Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ten and a Half Things you didn't know about Bury

Comments

• The Cemetery End, at Gigg Lane, is where this season dreams will die.
  • Bury (Parts 1+3) is a great latter-day Fall song

My old Latin teacher supports Bury
  • Twinned with Tulle, the administrative capital of the Correze and where I'll be going this evening to post mine and my Mrs quarterly social charge bills through the letter box of the RSI. *kicks dog
  • Pedro45 said:

The Cemetery End, at Gigg Lane, is where this season dreams will die.

Dead centre of town
  • rina said:

sam3110 said:

My sister is named after Bury, but due to a hospital error it's spelt differently

Barry?
    Berri
  • sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

We bought a goalkeeper once from Bury....... pretty good he was to. Wonder if they have any more going spare?

Different Bury
    Dean Kiely
    Rob7Lee said:

sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

We bought a goalkeeper once from Bury....... pretty good he was to. Wonder if they have any more going spare?

Different Bury
    You Sure?
    Beat ya both too it... Nir Nir Nir Nir Nir Nir
    Ah forgot Kiely was from Bury, was thinking of Pope
  • Bury is the modern name for Beri. In bygone days, a terrible disease hit the town which caused people to repeat the same mistakes. The disease became known as beriberi.

In Charlton, the disease arrived in 2014 when Roland Duchatelet and Katrien Meire came to the town to take control of the local football club. At first they made some terrible mistakes in running the football club, but in the summer of 2016, they appointed an English manager and three good standard League One players by the names of Novak, Ajose and Holmes. Many declared that the disease had been cleared from Charlton but as the summer wore on it became clear that they had repeated the same mistakes. Some jokingly referred to this as disease and called it Charlton Charlton. However, on August 6th 2016, Charlton went to Bury (formerly Beri) and lost 5-0. Cases of beriberi were reported in Bury for the first time in many years.
  • Charlton Athletic finished the 2003-2004 season in 7th place in the Premier League. They were captained by a man from Bury. In honour of this achievement the Bury-Chinese expats association edited the calendar to show 2004 as the year of the clean shorts.

• In League 1 matches Bury's highest home attendance (against Rochdale) was 6470 last season - lowest attendance (against Peterborough) 2180.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bury Bury is a disease of eating too many hot pots and no Vegetables,
    The first out break happened between the wars in Bury.
    Muscles, heart, nerves, and digestive problems are followed by repeating the same word word twice twice.

(Hence why Neville Neville the father of Gary,Phil and Tracy and a Bury man was so called.)
  • They will be top of league one on goal difference come the evening of 6th August.
  • Welcome to Bury.

You'll never leave.
  • We've never lost to bury on Saturday 6th August........

It will be the first time someone on Charlton Life has bought me drinks in Bury.

That is assuming arsenetatters does not do the honours.
  • edited August 2016

We've never lost to bury on Saturday 6th August........

It will be the first time someone on Charlton Life has bought me drinks in Bury.

You do seem to have a habit of adding an s on the end of some words.
  • You can wear it on your head.

No, wait, that's beret.
  • edited August 2016
    One of the first things that I noticed on my first visits to the Valley with my late father was a large advertising board, on what was the large terrace on now the Jimmy Seed stand. It advertised the away match at Bury .
    It may well have had other exotic locations, but the name Bury is always ingrained on my memory, like the peanut seller, the rosettes, and the smell of beer from the back of the covered end, when we walked around and my father had a pint.
    I remember asking my father where Bury was, he replied, "oh up North somewhere Ken."..... Went to a few games with my father, but mainly in London like Leyton Orient, The vast size of the Valley, and the large crowds coming out after the game, walking along Floyd Road stick in my mind....... along with that poster of Bury.
  • Sponsored links:

• According to the NutriBullet, Bury is the UK juice shake capital.

Strawberry, Blueberry, Blackberry and sausage meat is a local favourite
  • The Flying Scotsman was brought back to life at Bury
  • 9)
    from Wikipedia:

The family of wealthy land owner General De Bloom of Dutch descent owned much of the land Bury now sits on.

In the early 18th Century the Manchester-Bolton canal was opened to great fan fair. yet a few miles down the road in Bury it was seen as an insulting oversight to their industrial might, having petitioned greatly to the Lancashire council for the canal to come to them instead of Bolton and having built most of the canal from Bury down to Farnworth via the River Irwell. This began a bitter feud between the General and the canal owners. Particularly the well respected Sir Kevin Campo who had funded the canals extension to Bolton.

General De Bloom was noted for his trickery in the battles of the Kettle war. Having hid his men behind a giant soup Kettle before launching an attack on the Austrian army at Fort Lillo (used as a vegetable garden at the time) and defeating them to end the siege of the fort/allotment and subsequently helped end the war.

So with this experience of surprise and attack he and several other Bury locals in the cover of darkness set about opening all the locks on the Bolton stretch of the canal. This flooded much of the land around the canal, unfortunately the perpetrators were not quick enough to escape the charging water and drowned. However if it wasn't for this sabotage the water would not of entered the river Irwell which then flooded up to the Bury stretch of canal forever joining the two canals to create the Manchester, Bolton and Bury canal. The canal was in frequent use from then on for around 6 months before the railway arrived.
  • We've never lost to bury on Saturday 6th August........

You do seem to have a habit of adding an s on the end of some words.
    Ye that doe happen sometime
  • Leuth said:

Bury (Parts 1+3) is a great latter-day Fall song

My old Latin teacher supports Bury

My old Latin teacher taught me when I was at school in Bury for 4 years. Nice guy with a bushy moustache.
  • And a soft palm?
  • Did he give you lines, or did you have to buy your own?
  • "We will bury them!"

Is NOT a term you will see quoted on here.
  • Although Bury now famously wear blue, their original kits were were made from a large sheet of deep red felt bought from a junk shop. The fans soon started to sing the following ditty, "Raspberry Bury, the kind you find in a second hand store" which was later appropriated and made famous by Prince.