Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ten and a Half Things you didn't know about Bury

1) Despite Bury being 'The Home of The Black Pudding', the World Black Pudding Throwing competition is hosted by rivals, Ramsbottom and the Black Pudding Festival is held in Bacup.

2) The Wellington Barracks, the home of the 20th (East Devonshire) Regiment was actually in Bolton Road, Bury

3) Bury used to be called Bury St Edmunds, until a raiding party of Suffolk and Cambridge Monks headed North and exhumed the body of St Edmund from Bury Municipal Cemetery and Mausoleum and returned him his rightful home exactly halfway between Cambridge and Ipswich. A new Abbey and Town were created here and subsequently called Bury St Edmunds in 1093. Bury St Edmunds in Lancashire subsequently lost it's full moniker and has since just been called Bury.

Comments

• 4) elbow + Victoria Wood were both from Bury
  • edited August 2016
    5) Our very own Nicky Ajose was born in Bury.
  • We bought a goalkeeper once from Bury....... pretty good he was to. Wonder if they have any more going spare?
  • Rob7Lee said:

We bought a goalkeeper once from Bury....... pretty good he was to. Wonder if they have any more going spare?

Different Bury
  • 2016 was the amount of away fans we took for the 0-0 midweek league cup fixture
  • sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

We bought a goalkeeper once from Bury....... pretty good he was to. Wonder if they have any more going spare?

Different Bury
    No its not... Bury Town = Nick Pope ... Bury FC = Dean Kiely
  • sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    Dean Kiely
  • sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    You Sure?
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    Dean Kiely
    Rob7Lee said:

sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    You Sure?
    Beat ya both too it... Nir Nir Nir Nir Nir Nir
  • We've never lost to bury on Saturday 6th August........

• Bury is the now only team to be named wholly after a single foodstuff.

If I hadn't included th word "single" there I would have been wrong because or Shrewsbury*

*not sure if people eat shrews but you never know
  • We've never lost to bury on Saturday 6th August........

We've never beaten them either.......

• Locals pronounce it "Burry" as in "furry" or "hurry." Nicky Akose has played 47 games for them in loan in two spells scoring 17 times.
  • Rob7Lee said:

We've never lost to bury on Saturday 6th August........

We've never beaten them either.......

or Drawn....
  • Bury is home to the East Lancashire Railway which is based at Bolton Street Station and runs steam and diesel powered trains
  • Gigg lane is the last terrace on which I smoked a spliff, during the 1995 play off semi vs PNE. pretty much everyone in he ground seemed to be smoking. I can't be sure as it's a bit of a blur but think Bury won

• Sponsored links:

• They sign players - and very rarely loan them out
  • sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    Dean Kiely
    Rob7Lee said:

sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    You Sure?
    I always try and come last.....if I can be bothered.....
  • sam3110 said:

My sister is named after Bury, but due to a hospital error it's spelt differently

Fiona?
  • sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    Dean Kiely
    Rob7Lee said:

sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    You Sure?
    Yeah yeah dont exaggerate... thats not what your wife tells me!! ;)
  • sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    Dean Kiely
    Rob7Lee said:

sam3110 said:

Rob7Lee said:

Different Bury
    You Sure?
    Yeah yeah dont exaggerate... thats not what your wife tells me!! ;)
    Let's not derail on of the finest threads known to CL.
  • Ex Charlton player that won silverware with Charlton that went on to captain Bury.

Who was he........and shirty5 i know you have the answer.
  • they are one of 23 clubs that are more prepared for this season than us.