Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the purpose of Charlton Athletic?

2»

Comments

• Missed It said:

I am beginning to think that it is some kind of 'reward' for KM. It looks to me that the only benefit of their ownership, which is costing him a lot of money is that she is the CEO of a large (not as large as it was) football club.

This is nothing more than me thinking out loud but if I were a multi-millionaire with more money that I could ever spend and I had, say, a friend that I wanted to buy gifts for I might consider bankrolling a football club for her to run as acceptable - especially if she were sufficiently grateful!

I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory but I can't think of anything else more credible, personally.

I am intrigued and disturbed by the nature of the relationship between Duchatalet and Meire and would really like to know what is at the bottom of it all. It is quite obviously beyond a business relationship, anybody so monumentally bad at their job would have been fired long ago in any normal company.

Somebody on here (I forget who) mentioned a link between Duchatelet and Meire's father and that would seem to match how he goes about some of his other business dealings, personal connections and a very small circle of trusted individuals.

I don't believe for a second the old codger is playing hide the sausage but whatever is binding these two together is also flushing Charlton down the toilet - and for what? The thought of it being nothing more than a vanity project for some skanky old 'uncle' to gift to a family friend just appalls me.
    I think if that was the case he would never have been as hands on as he has been behind the scenes. It is all about him, although she is a huge liability.
  • Have we ever been a complete joke before ? I only go back to 93 but even in the season with Abbott / McCormack/ Benson I don't recall us being this much of a laughing stock
  • The purpose of Charlton Athletic currently is to line Roland's pocket and make him a profit.
    That's it, as far as he is concerned. And he will do whatever it takes to achieve that.
    The proper, fit aim of a professional football club is completely irrelevant to him. It's blindingly obvious by his actions and decisions.
    And that's why we have to remove him.
  • I am beginning to think that it is some kind of 'reward' for KM. It looks to me that the only benefit of their ownership, which is costing him a lot of money is that she is the CEO of a large (not as large as it was) football club.

This is nothing more than me thinking out loud but if I were a multi-millionaire with more money that I could ever spend and I had, say, a friend that I wanted to buy gifts for I might consider bankrolling a football club for her to run as acceptable - especially if she were sufficiently grateful!

I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory but I can't think of anything else more credible, personally.

I have said that before on here or Twitter.

I believe he bought cafc as a toy for Meire.
  • mascot88 said:

It's over ... Until he dies

When someone dies and is remembered on here and elsewhere many people say "it puts football problems into perspective."

Be interesting how those sentiments might play out when Duchatalet pegs it.
  • edited August 2016
    kentred2 said:

I am beginning to think that it is some kind of 'reward' for KM. It looks to me that the only benefit of their ownership, which is costing him a lot of money is that she is the CEO of a large (not as large as it was) football club.

Ew

No wonder she's always smiling.
  • edited August 2016
    BDL said:

I think @henrythecat has nailed it. He can afford to run us at a loss. For him this is a vanity project, his political project failed so he's determined to make this work with us and his network, even though we all know it wont work in England.

As I said to certain posters who will verify this, last September, the only way to get to him is in Belgium.

Belittle him there and show him for the fool he truly is. That will hurt him and that may make him sell.

@The_President , @C4FC4L1f3 and @Mametz if ever there was another call to arms, this is it.
  • edited August 2016
    My theory is that some of Rolands relatives were killed in bombing raids by the RAF during WW2 & Roland researched into the RAF flight records and discovered that the Pilot on the bombing raid which killed his relatives was infact a Charlton Athletic supporter. What better reason to want to destroy Charlton which is exactly whats happening now. It all begins to make sense doesn't it ? Alternatively he could just be an arrogant cunt.
  • I think there is an element of the vanity project, but part of me believed that he/they thought their model could work. What we have now is down to the fact their model whether theoretically, or as executed didn't work, and their incompetence in not having a viable plan b, c, d or any of the other letters of the alphabet.

As soon as it became apparent the network model couldn't work, that's when all was lost
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

BDL said:

I think @henrythecat has nailed it. He can afford to run us at a loss. For him this is a vanity project, his political project failed so he's determined to make this work with us and his network, even though we all know it wont work in England.

As I said to certain posters who will verify this, last September, the only way to get to him is in Belgium.

Belittle him there and show him for the fool he truly is. That will hurt him and that may make him sell.

@The_President , @C4FC4L1f3 and @Mametz if ever there was another call to arms, this is it.
    We dont need one - we are already planning :)
  • Missed It said:

I am intrigued and disturbed by the nature of the relationship between Duchatalet and Meire and would really like to know what is at the bottom of it all. It is quite obviously beyond a business relationship, anybody so monumentally bad at their job would have been fired long ago in any normal company.

Somebody on here (I forget who) mentioned a link between Duchatelet and Meire's father and that would seem to match how he goes about some of his other business dealings, personal connections and a very small circle of trusted individuals.

I don't believe for a second the old codger is playing hide the sausage but whatever is binding these two together is also flushing Charlton down the toilet - and for what? The thought of it being nothing more than a vanity project for some skanky old 'uncle' to gift to a family friend just appalls me.
    The thing is though, you have to review what a 'good CEO' is. To us, a good CEO should be someone whose name you know, but rarely hear from. They should be behind the scenes completing deals and occasionally making comment where needed. They should publicly back the manager, give him the necessary funds, put together a system for signing players, be it manager's suggestions or a Southampton style scouting set up and then give the manager the tools they need to succeed and let them handle it from there. When things aren't working they should take sensible, planned out action. KM can't do any of those things. She's a rubbish negotiator, drops crap players on the manager and regularly jams her foot in her mouth publicly talking nonsense and coming up with attention grabbing initiatives that annoy the fanbase.

The thing is though, I think Roly wants a CEO to hit the break-even targets set and be a human punching bag for fan resentment. She's actually great at those things. She doesn't care how we do in the league, she manages to tell outrageous lies without breaking into giggling when she hears them out loud and she works as a lightning rod. The only thing I find surprising is that Roly isn't angrier about the crap fees she gets for players. The low fees we got for Johann and Cousins are almost criminal, and that's her doing. Still, he doesn't have to worry about the club as long as she's there, and he doesn't care that she's killing the club. Perfect.
  • edited August 2016
    cabbles said:

I think there is an element of the vanity project, but part of me believed that he/they thought their model could work. What we have now is down to the fact their model whether theoretically, or as executed didn't work, and their incompetence in not having a viable plan b, c, d or any of the other letters of the alphabet.

As soon as it became apparent the network model couldn't work, that's when all was lost

I'm absolutely convinced they thought it (the network and building a portfolio of players, coaches and other backroom staff) would work and as you say they have failed miserably to adapt to changing circumstances, like the FFP rules. Its the reason for that lack of flexibility that lies at the crux of where we are and where we are going

I think both RD and KM are suffering from a massive case of confirmation bias. They are just not interested in any evidence that doesn't fit their existing theory. Hence you get nonsensical comments about every managerial appointment being an improvement and the total absence of any willingness to engage with anyone who doesn't share that theory. For every JBG that's seen as a relative success they will completely disregard the Peter Parsleys they have lost a fortune on.

Add in a large dollop of @Henry Irving's Group Think and we are just destined to rinse and repeat our way down the football pyramid.
  • cabbles said:

I think there is an element of the vanity project, but part of me believed that he/they thought their model could work. What we have now is down to the fact their model whether theoretically, or as executed didn't work, and their incompetence in not having a viable plan b, c, d or any of the other letters of the alphabet.

You had your chance to make a name for yourself and save the club and you blew it, all it took was a pillow over her face, no marks left, job done. :smile:
  • Simply a play thing for the clown and his tart.

Missed It said:

The thing is though, you have to review what a 'good CEO' is. To us, a good CEO should be someone whose name you know, but rarely hear from. They should be behind the scenes completing deals and occasionally making comment where needed. They should publicly back the manager, give him the necessary funds, put together a system for signing players, be it manager's suggestions or a Southampton style scouting set up and then give the manager the tools they need to succeed and let them handle it from there. When things aren't working they should take sensible, planned out action. KM can't do any of those things. She's a rubbish negotiator, drops crap players on the manager and regularly jams her foot in her mouth publicly talking nonsense and coming up with attention grabbing initiatives that annoy the fanbase.

The thing is though, I think Roly wants a CEO to hit the break-even targets set and be a human punching bag for fan resentment. She's actually great at those things. She doesn't care how we do in the league, she manages to tell outrageous lies without breaking into giggling when she hears them out loud and she works as a lightning rod. The only thing I find surprising is that Roly isn't angrier about the crap fees she gets for players. The low fees we got for Johann and Cousins are almost criminal, and that's her doing. Still, he doesn't have to worry about the club as long as she's there, and he doesn't care that she's killing the club. Perfect.

But has she hit the break even targets? I don't see how she possibly could have and with relegation the prospect of it is now even further away.

Duchatalet stated, in his rather patronising and sexist way, that women are better at managing budgets but she has proved absolutely hopeless at it. Look at all the player ins and outs last year, all the players we are paying to play for other teams (or in Tucudean's case - to sit on the sofa watching TV all day). Its utterly chaotic, desperate juggling - not managing a budget.

Meire appears to be completely fireproof, bulletproof and indestructible despite her catastrophic performance in the role gifted to her. What is it that keeps her in a job? Her managerial skills and track record don't support her continued employment by any logical measure.
  • kentred2 said:

Instead of our beloved Football club ?
    Why not a Barbie Doll or as
    she a big girl now, a toy with Batteries included.
  • The arrogant vanity project of succeeding differently was the original 'purpose'. God knows what it is now. RD/KM must inwardly realise that his original purpose cannot be fulfilled but their overweening arrogance, ignorance and inflexibility cannot allow them to admit that fact. Failure must be others' fault. Is he now pressing on in the hope of getting the club back to some kind of saleable state in which he wouldn't lose too much on his experiment? Is that the current purpose? I suppose that could be a logical thing to do although recognisable logic doesn't seem to have much part in his football decisions.
  • The purpose of Charlton Athletic ! So our ex famous players can be used as road names on the housing estate going up in 2020. De Canio Way, Mendonca Mews, Bartram Avenue , etc. The club that's left can ask Cray Wanderers if they are interested in a ground share and we will pitch up sharing with Welling whilst we develop the new 5,000 capacity Valley Community Mr Kipling Stadium on Woolwich Common.
  • I've given up thinking what his motives are, he's just a crackpot who will get bored eventually. Just hope he gets bored soon.

Unfortunately, he doesn't get bored with his projects as he thinks history will prove him to have been right.
    He has been running and funding the same fringe political party in Belgium (VIVANT) for 18 years with little prospect of it ever attracting a significant number of voters. The major policy initiative as I understand it is a tax reform (which no=one really believes is workable).
  • Sponsored links:

• I have no idea why Duchatelet continues to own Charlton.

He has, with Meire, managed to exit large chunks of a decent championship squad for a lot less than he has then had to spend to dig us out of a hole in the first year. Same in the second year but due in part to Fraeye, a lack of squad depth and some injuries exacerbated by lack of squad depth, hole was too deep.

I think he still has no idea how badly Katrien has done or why so many fans are leaving the club.

He is certainly an arrogant man with a lot of money, but money is saved in such a foolish manner that much more is wasted.

I think he may be mentally unstable and is incapable of making any form of judgement that would mean he had to face his failure.

So we are left with Charlton as a failed experiment that is not allowed to be sold unless there is a compelling narrative in his mind for how he has made a success of it.

Either that or he is a stupid vindictive c*** who is going to punish is for ruining his plan and being nasty to Daisy.
  • BDL said:

There may also be a slim chance domestically.
    Appallingly it might weaken his resolve somewhat if we could get Meire out. I say appallingly because to focus on her. means that there must be no holds barred within the law.
    We know from rants like 'they're trying to break me', 'racist' behaviour accusations, instructing lawyers regarding resigngate, Roland being moved to produce his 'statement' on her behalf, complaints about her village being leafleted, disappearing to Dubai, ducking out of the Valley during protests and matches, getting her minions to crush all dissent, having a bouncer guard her...we know from this kind of stuff that Katrien is affected by fan behaviour.
    If as a result of feeling these kinds of pressures Katrien is no longer the CEO, then it might be one way to send a message to Roland even from over here.