Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the purpose of Charlton Athletic?

A loss making 'business' that has lost most of its 'core customers' with an inept CEO who has no knowledge of football. There appears to be no long term planning or investment and no interest by the owner in the club actually being successful at football.
If cost cutting is the only strategy they might as well just withdraw the club from the league, get rid of all the staff and employ security staff to look after the empty real estate - this would at least stabilise losses.
KM could be given an office by RD to play make believe CEO games and everyone could get on with their lives.
I don't have a clue how this will end anymore - KM and RD have demonstrated their complete contempt for the club and its fanbase and nothing seems to touch them. Even if the whole ground was empty and we lost every game KM would still claim it was a success.
It's truly MADNESS!

Comments

• community hub, sports entertainment, social club, idk
  • It's Roland's club now. You have to accept he does things his way. :neutral:
  • edited August 2016
    It's over ... Until he dies
  • 3blokes said:

It's Roland's club now. You have to accept he does things his way. :neutral:

No we don't :)
  • No Charlton, no Charlton Life!
  • Essex_Al said:

No Charlton, no Charlton Life!

NO....I reckon CL will out live CAFC.
    Hell yeah! And rebranded AFC. Charlton Life :wink:
  • 3blokes said:

It's Roland's club now. You have to accept he does things his way. :neutral:

No we don't :)
    That works for me :wink:

• Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

It could be the remnants of a very heavy weekend talking but, if things keep heading the way they are then AFC Charlton may not be as far away as we think......
  • The current purpose of Charlton at the moment is to prove that Roland's vision for running a football club is flawed, it is unfortunately no longer something to be enjoyed
  • edited August 2016
    In the sliding doors and Parallel universe.

Charlton Athletic Won the Premier League 2016,
    in their 40 thousand stadium.

Leicester City Were relegated to League 1.

The purpose of CAFC was for us to Dream of a Utopia.
    Now we just have this Dystopian nightmeire.

• The current purpose of Charlton at the moment is to prove that Roland's vision for running a football club is flawed, it is unfortunately no longer something to be enjoyed

The purpose as far as our owners are concerned does seem to be that Roly can prove that he's cleverer than everyone else by running a Championship club at break even. So far, he's just proving that he's a stubborn old fool that makes terrible recruitment decisions and can't keep a club in the Championship even when it's operating at a significant loss.
  • My guess is that Charlton's purpose is to help Roland move cash flow into projects he actually cares about.
  • Charlton Athletic is a subsidiary of a Belgian PLC whose loses can be offset against tax. That's it, IMHO. I'm prepared to be proven wrong.
  • _MrDick said:

Charlton Athletic is a subsidiary of a Belgian PLC whose loses can be offset against tax. That's it, IMHO. I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

But we have not established where the profits are, against which the losses can be offset. Not from a Spanish club who pull in 2,000. Or a Hungarian club who pull in the same, and currently groundshare while they carry out rebuilding work. Not from a German 4th division club where he is a minority owner. Which leaves STVV...

I wish it was as simple as you suggest.
  • Charlton is an experiment - I thought Roland was clear on that! although he didn't say a football experiment did he?

• edited August 2016
    HandG said:

RedChaser said:

Essex_Al said:

It could be the remnants of a very heavy weekend talking but, if things keep heading the way they are then AFC Charlton may not be as far away as we think......
    In all seriousness let's hope not because that will be the end of the war, there's a few more battles to be fought just yet.
  • liamhappe said:

My guess is that Charlton's purpose is to help Roland move cash flow into projects he actually cares about.

Spot on, and the same can be said about most foreign owners of English Football Clubs. There is something about owning a football club that appeals to wealthy individuals and I am convinced it is going to blow up in our faces. We all know the morons that run the FA etc are not fit for purpose themselves, never mind running a proper fit for purpose test on these owners. The game is getting away from the very authorities that are supposed to be in charge of it.

Look at the comments last week relating to the proposed winter break for our players, the noises coming out from the FA said "it was being discussed and on the agenda"

We all know the person that will have the final say on a winter break is Rupert Murdoch because Sky will have a huge say if football is not to be televised for 4 weeks.

Cash revenue, undisclosed fee's, payments to "agents", there is more to this and a bigger story to be told. You are not telling me the Chinese guy that has just bought Wolves has done so because he is a fan of either the club or English football.
  • Sponsored links:

• If he was evil, which I'm not sure he is, he'd sell The Valley to himself and make the club rent it off him at an exorbitant rate.

• liamhappe said:

My guess is that Charlton's purpose is to help Roland move cash flow into projects he actually cares about.

Again, no evidence whatsoever of that. The only other "project" he is known for is politics, but it seems that he replaced politics with football, when he failed in politics.

I don't seek to criticise such a guess, simply to point out that nobody has uncovered any evidence of this. And let's remember that there are far more people in Belgium who have been looking for the answer, including the enterprising and aggressive supporters of Standard, and various journalists. Nobody has claimed to have worked it out.
  • edited August 2016
    I think in Roland's mind our propose is as part of an ambitious but ultimately flawed project to demonstrate that the same values that he tried to articulate with his political "career" (which were slightly to the left of things Jeremy Corbyn would think were a good idea) -loan be applied to football - namely that clubs can exist in a financially sustainable way without running at a loss (which is hilarious if you take a look at our annual accounts since he arrived).

If I'm correct then this explains his reticence to sell us, or even properly entertain offers, as if you're going to prove that football can be self sufficient then you really need to do it in the capital of footballing economic insanity - England.
  • I've given up thinking what his motives are, he's just a crackpot who will get bored eventually. Just hope he gets bored soon.
  • I am beginning to think that it is some kind of 'reward' for KM. It looks to me that the only benefit of their ownership, which is costing him a lot of money is that she is the CEO of a large (not as large as it was) football club.

This is nothing more than me thinking out loud but if I were a multi-millionaire with more money that I could ever spend and I had, say, a friend that I wanted to buy gifts for I might consider bankrolling a football club for her to run as acceptable - especially if she were sufficiently grateful!

I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory but I can't think of anything else more credible, personally.
  • I would suspect that whilst losing money with CAFC in England it helps with off setting tax for his businesses in Belgium. I am not a tax expert but I do know if you show a loss instead of a profit it not only reduces the tax you pay for that company but it can also be re-stated for a previous tax year.

For all we know Roland could be laughing all the way to the bank.

See my post above and some of the very interesting comments in the West Ham/Olympic thread. Today's owners both British & Foreign are not snapping up our football clubs because they are fans of the club or football in general. There are a lot of benefits in owning a football club and businessmen are moving in on it and reaping the rewards.

• @henrythecat

For me yours is the explanation that best fits what he has done, taking into account the other countries.
  • I am beginning to think that it is some kind of 'reward' for KM. It looks to me that the only benefit of their ownership, which is costing him a lot of money is that she is the CEO of a large (not as large as it was) football club.

This is nothing more than me thinking out loud but if I were a multi-millionaire with more money that I could ever spend and I had, say, a friend that I wanted to buy gifts for I might consider bankrolling a football club for her to run as acceptable - especially if she were sufficiently grateful!

I know that sounds like a conspiracy theory but I can't think of anything else more credible, personally.

I am intrigued and disturbed by the nature of the relationship between Duchatalet and Meire and would really like to know what is at the bottom of it all. It is quite obviously beyond a business relationship, anybody so monumentally bad at their job would have been fired long ago in any normal company.

Somebody on here (I forget who) mentioned a link between Duchatelet and Meire's father and that would seem to match how he goes about some of his other business dealings, personal connections and a very small circle of trusted individuals.

I don't believe for a second the old codger is playing hide the sausage but whatever is binding these two together is also flushing Charlton down the toilet - and for what? The thought of it being nothing more than a vanity project for some skanky old 'uncle' to gift to a family friend just appalls me.