Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

1268269270271272274»

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    In the gift scenario, one thing I've heard people do is have a dated letter signed between the donor and recipient declaring the money as a gift with no intention of it being paid back. And then a copy is left in attachment with the will, so that it helps the executors when they're going through the estate. That's what we're looking to do. 
    if you are within the rules the date of transfer of funds will be evidence enough I would imagine?

Transfers made at the ‘11th hour’ can’t be readily justified I suppose as historic events however injust inheritance tax can be. 
    Yes, I expect the bank accounts would show and make it clear - but getting a letter signed at least gives that concrete explanation of the purpose (ie - it’s a gift). 
    That is a good idea.

just remember the gifts applying first if you passed within 7 years. You could inadvertently therefore make the gifts tax free but other parts of your estate taxed.

i dealt with an estate where one child had in effect had their inheritance pre death. Due to the tax on the remaining estate meant the remaining children inadvertently received less.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    With just a few weeks to go, we're not looking as good this half year with everyone below where we currently are, but suspect everyone is happy that it's higher than all our predictions. Think TEL is running away with this.......

FTSE100 Level8,285.34  

NameLevelVariance% Variance
    @TelMc328100185.342.24%
    MrWalker8077208.342.51%
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub8047238.342.88%
    Thread Killer8016269.343.25%
    cafcpolo8011274.343.31%
    guinnessaddick8001284.343.43%
    Solidgone8001284.343.43%
    bobmunro7989296.343.58%
    Redman7988297.343.59%
    holyjo7979306.343.70%
    aitchyaddick7978307.343.71%
    Pedro457975310.343.75%
    blackpool727970315.343.81%
    CharltonKerry7966319.343.85%
    PragueAddick7965320.343.87%
    HardyAddick7951334.344.04%
    Jamescafc7950335.344.05%
    wwaddick7934351.344.24%
    Salad7918367.344.43%
    Hornchurch7902383.344.63%
    meldrew667901384.344.64%
    oohaahmortimer7891394.344.76%
    Rob7Lee7891394.344.76%
    Housty7882403.344.87%
    Bangkokaddick7878407.344.92%
    Lonelynorthernaddick7870415.345.01%
    Addick Addict7864421.345.09%
    Jon_CAFC_7864421.345.09%
    valleynick667863422.345.10%
    thecat7850435.345.25%
    CAFCWest7839446.345.39%
    TheGhostofTomHovi7830455.345.50%
    Huskaris7825460.345.56%
    Addickinedi7824461.345.57%
    LargeAddick7824461.345.57%
    IdleHans7810475.345.74%
    Daarrrzzettbum7801484.345.85%
    RalphMilne7795490.345.92%
    Morboe7768517.346.24%
    fat man on a moped7758527.346.36%
    StrikerFirmani7720565.346.82%
    golfaddick7680605.347.31%
    Covered End7579706.348.53%
    Fortune 82nd Minute7450835.3410.08%
    Lenglover7401884.3410.67%
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 69991286.3415.53%
    Come to Daddy .... 8115 this morning.

Still a long way to go, in market terms.
  • Options
    In the last couple of years I’ve been able to put some money away in an ISA with Vanguard and I’ve been impressed with them. I currently have my pension with Standard life and get charges of about £4,000 per year. I’m pretty much invested in US trackers with a couple of others thrown in. I’ve noticed the charges in a Vanguard SIPP are much lower and I think capped at £375. Worth switching? Seems like a no brainier but wondered if anyone had any thoughts to the contrary. I’ve overall been happy with Standard Life.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    In the last couple of years I’ve been able to put some money away in an ISA with Vanguard and I’ve been impressed with them. I currently have my pension with Standard life and get charges of about £4,000 per year. I’m pretty much invested in US trackers with a couple of others thrown in. I’ve noticed the charges in a Vanguard SIPP are much lower and I think capped at £375. Worth switching? Seems like a no brainier but wondered if anyone had any thoughts to the contrary. I’ve overall been happy with Standard Life.
    I switched to Vanguard 2 years ago. I like them, the only thing you have to be aware of is you are restricted to their funds, but not an issue for me on my main pension.

Yes fee's are very very good once you have a decent sized pot, saves me a good few thousand a year.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    What charges are you paying ? Platform/policy charge ? Fund charge? And adviser fees ? If it's just the first 2 then you shouldnt really be paying much more than 1%....so I'm estimating your pension pot is c£400k ?

As @ Rob7Lee says, Vanguard might be cheap but they only offer their own funds. I wont comment further though as I'm not a great lover of tracker funds. 
  • Options
    Nug said:
    What charges are you paying ? Platform/policy charge ? Fund charge? And adviser fees ? If it's just the first 2 then you shouldnt really be paying much more than 1%....so I'm estimating your pension pot is c£400k ?

As @ Rob7Lee says, Vanguard might be cheap but they only offer their own funds. I wont comment further though as I'm not a great lover of tracker funds. 
    Why don’t you like tracker funds? I’m sure I read somewhere that 95% of managed funds don’t outperform the S&P 500 over long periods. You’d have to be pretty lucky picking one of the 5% that did outperform it. I was mistaken my charges are about 2.5k on a pot of 220k so a bit above 1%.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    Nug said:

Why don’t you like tracker funds? I’m sure I read somewhere that 95% of managed funds don’t outperform the S&P 500 over long periods. You’d have to be pretty lucky picking one of the 5% that did outperform it. I was mistaken my charges are about 2.5k on a pot of 220k so a bit above 1%.
    Depends what managed funds you are  talking about.

I know lots of single asset funds that have outperformed a like minded tracker fund. Currently it's only US tracker funds that seem to outperform US active funds.
  • Options
    Nug said:

As @ Rob7Lee says, Vanguard might be cheap but they only offer their own funds. I wont comment further though as I'm not a great lover of tracker funds
    You not met Warren Buffet yet ;-)

I think for the vast majority of people who don't use an advisor Vanguard's funds are pretty good and certainly for me have performed exceptionally well the past two years, the anniversary coming up for two years and I've returned 28.78%. The S&P500 ETF is up over 40%. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Nug said:

As @ Rob7Lee says, Vanguard might be cheap but they only offer their own funds. I wont comment further though as I'm not a great lover of tracker funds
    You not met Warren Buffet yet ;-)

I think for the vast majority of people who don't use an advisor Vanguard's funds are pretty good and certainly for me have performed exceptionally well the past two years, the anniversary coming up for two years and I've returned 28.78%. The S&P500 ETF is up over 40%. 
     A tracker fund does what it says on the tin. Not many fund managers have beaten the S&P500 because of its growth over that period.  But an investor shouldn't just be buying the S&P500 but having funds that cover worldwide equities, as well as Bonds and other assets. Great if you know what you are doing but not many people do.....or want the headache of doing so or tracking the returns. 
  • Options
    Create a portfolio of ETFs that diversify your risk based on your own tolerance to risk. 

Pretty easy for anyone who is financially literate. 

Stay away from actively managed funds. They genuinely don't outperform the market in almost every case when fees are taken into account, and people that tell you otherwise often have a vested interest. 

To give the other side, there are plenty of people wealthy enough to need an IFA who are financially illiterate.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:
    Create a portfolio of ETFs that diversify your risk based on your own tolerance to risk. 

Pretty easy for anyone who is financially literate. 

Stay away from actively managed funds. They genuinely don't outperform the market in almost every case when fees are taken into account, and people that tell you otherwise often have a vested interest. 

To give the other side, there are plenty of people wealthy enough to need an IFA who are financially illiterate.

Thank god for all those financially illiterate ones our there then 😂😂😂.
  • Options
    I have my ISA with Fidelity and I've started switching all my funds to ETFs as fees are capped to £90 a year (+£7.50 per transaction):

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/estimate-my-fees/

You obviously still have the fees from the ETF, but for the S&P 500 (IE00B3XXRP09) for example, they are about 0.09% a year.

• Options
    I have my ISA with Fidelity and I've started switching all my funds to ETFs as fees are capped to £90 a year (+£7.50 per transaction):

You obviously still have the fees from the ETF, but for the S&P 500 (IE00B3XXRP09) for example, they are about 0.09% a year.

I use IE00B6YX5C33. 0.03%. 

Across my entire portfolio, 0.11% are my total fees on the portfolio below. And before people point out that it's a 100% equity high risk portfolio, I am 33, the portfolio totals about 15% of total household wealth and my diversification is elsewhere (albeit 15% of it in even more risky investments :D ). Up 6.3% since I started in Feb. 

I use investengine and they don't charge any fees for stocks and shares ISA, they do for SIPPs though. Thoroughly recommend them. 

• Options

I still have a SIPP with Fidelity and kept a small amount in there, I use it to see if I can beat the funds with a bit of share trading (and so far winning! £28k has become £65k in the last 4 years), I used to have my main SIPP with them but at the time the fee's were a % and was quite expensive. My wife still has her SIPP and main S&S ISA with them.

Love the platform and a good company, used to pop into their investor centre on Cannon Street from time to time. When I managed a companies Pension we did a review and moved to them, streets ahead of the others on service. If you had over £250k you had your own personal contact, much like a private bank which I liked.

Interesting that a while back they changed their charges for ETF's making it very compelling, if that's all you invest in.

ii were also very good from an offering and cost perspective, they also pay a very good rate on cash compared to most.
  • Options
    edited June 15
    Huskaris said:

I use IE00B6YX5C33. 0.03%. 

Across my entire portfolio, 0.11% are my total fees on the portfolio below. And before people point out that it's a 100% equity high risk portfolio, I am 33, the portfolio totals about 15% of total household wealth and my diversification is elsewhere (albeit 15% of it in even more risky investments :D ). Up 6.3% since I started in Feb. 

I use investengine and they don't charge any fees for stocks and shares ISA, they do for SIPPs though. Thoroughly recommend them. 

Good tips Huskaris. I'll look into IE00B6YX5C33, as it looks even cheaper than mine. Not sure if I will switch to investengine though as it would be a faff, but good to know.

I also started investing in that India ETF, it seems a bit less correlated than the other indices.