Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Haven't been on for a while and notice the interest in alternatives to HL.  I finally switched to them this year, having been a customer since 1991. I've moved to Interactive Brokers, the US discount broker.

Main benefits
    - lower/comporable admin fees, despite having to pay a separate SIPP administrator
    - lower trading commissions - typically £3 for a UK stock, usually $1 for US and sometimes free, no minimum volume
    - much, much lower fx costs - they effectively allow you to run a multi-currency account and switch between ccys at bank rate; Consequently, I'm still booking US trades at $1.30/£; and, e.g. buying, say, 10k of Microsoft for $1.02 fees all in.
    - decent interest on cash balances; e.g I've been getting 4.83% on dollar deposits for months
    - diret market access means I generally get a much better price than I would via HL (thought see below)
    - incredible reporting and risk management - professional level but easy to understand, e,g. will chart your holdings allocations again a benchmark and show where you are out- and under-performing that benchmark on a really easy to understand 2-d chart
    - proper performance reporting and all sorts of nuggets like it will project your dividend income and give you bundled access to all sorts of fundamental analysis and news

Disadvantages
    - you have to wait the 2 days for a stock to clear and settle before you can use that cash
    - a lot of people might find the interface complicated, though the web interface I think is pretty clear (difficult one for me to judge, as I spent most of my adult life designing and building trading systems)
    - having to set up a separate SIPP admin - aggro initially but worth it in the end
    - some illiquid UK stocks are a little clunky to trade - direct market orders can sit there all day; whereas HL (and IG) take on the risk on your behalf immediately.
    - you have to pay for market data, but then the data is better and it's always been refunded with maybe 2-3 trades a month.
    I also use Interactive Brokers (as well as Swissquote in Lux) and they are pretty good, but one thing to keep in mind is the $60K threshold for cash and/or US domiciled stocks/funds. Once you go over this figure you can be liable for taxation on your estate, ie. if you die you will be taxed as if you were a US resident.
    That’s quite a big drawback. 
  • Any opinions of Nutmeg (jp) thinking about using as bank entirely with Chase so ease of access. If not any decent alternatives out there or best to stick with saver rates atm?
  • Haven't been on for a while and notice the interest in alternatives to HL.  I finally switched to them this year, having been a customer since 1991. I've moved to Interactive Brokers, the US discount broker.

Main benefits
    - lower/comporable admin fees, despite having to pay a separate SIPP administrator
    - lower trading commissions - typically £3 for a UK stock, usually $1 for US and sometimes free, no minimum volume
    - much, much lower fx costs - they effectively allow you to run a multi-currency account and switch between ccys at bank rate; Consequently, I'm still booking US trades at $1.30/£; and, e.g. buying, say, 10k of Microsoft for $1.02 fees all in.
    - decent interest on cash balances; e.g I've been getting 4.83% on dollar deposits for months
    - diret market access means I generally get a much better price than I would via HL (thought see below)
    - incredible reporting and risk management - professional level but easy to understand, e,g. will chart your holdings allocations again a benchmark and show where you are out- and under-performing that benchmark on a really easy to understand 2-d chart
    - proper performance reporting and all sorts of nuggets like it will project your dividend income and give you bundled access to all sorts of fundamental analysis and news

Disadvantages
    - you have to wait the 2 days for a stock to clear and settle before you can use that cash
    - a lot of people might find the interface complicated, though the web interface I think is pretty clear (difficult one for me to judge, as I spent most of my adult life designing and building trading systems)
    - having to set up a separate SIPP admin - aggro initially but worth it in the end
    - some illiquid UK stocks are a little clunky to trade - direct market orders can sit there all day; whereas HL (and IG) take on the risk on your behalf immediately.
    - you have to pay for market data, but then the data is better and it's always been refunded with maybe 2-3 trades a month.
    I also use Interactive Brokers (as well as Swissquote in Lux) and they are pretty good, but one thing to keep in mind is the $60K threshold for cash and/or US domiciled stocks/funds. Once you go over this figure you can be liable for taxation on your estate, ie. if you die you will be taxed as if you were a US resident.
    I wasn't aware of that.  Are you sure that applies to a UK registered SIPP?  Would seem unlikely but would need to check to be sure.
    I doubt it, but not sure to be honest.
  • edited August 2023
  • 7,654 please 

I’ve jumped lots of pages 

who won the last one , what was it , I thought we were doing every Dec /June 
    why we in august guessing ? 

Thanks 
  • My holdings are all Irish domicile because of this.
  • 7,654 please 

I’ve jumped lots of pages 

who won the last one , what was it , I thought we were doing every Dec /June 
    why we in august guessing ? 

Thanks 
    End of June was won by Salad with a guess of 7511 (FTSE was 7531) - yes this guess is for end of December.
  • 7592 for me please
  • Good luck one and all:

NameLevel
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 6750
    Lenglover7401
    Pedro457452
    Jon_CAFC_7490
    Fortune 82nd Minute7554
    Redman7562
    meldrew667575
    fat man on a moped7592
    PragueAddick7600
    HardyAddick7625
    Morboe7625
    Addick Addict7652
    oohaahmortimer7654
    StrikerFirmani7665
    golfaddick7680
    cafcpolo7698
    Covered End7702
    Addickinedi7707
    TheGhostofTomHovi7708
    RalphMilne7721
    Lonelynorthernaddick7725
    blackpool727750
    Jamescafc7750
    Bangkokaddick7771
    thecat7792
    bobmunro7848
    CharltonKerry7868
    guinnessaddick7878
    LargeAddick7887
    Rob7Lee7891
    holyjo7899
    valleynick667923
    IdleHans7945
    CAFCWest7950
    aitchyaddick7978
    Solidgone7990
    wwaddick8002
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub8047

Main benefits

Disadvantages
    That’s quite a big drawback. 
    As suspected, as with other tax aspects, the US recognises UK tax wrappers, else they wouldn't be able to market them here (e.g. no withholding tax on dividends, etc.  You have to fill out a W8-BEN form for that but that's true even if you are with HL)   As an aside, IB even shows you exactly which custody bank is holding which investment, which is an interesting level of transparency.
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    Done a little review and have taken a bit of a hammering in my UK real estate fund, asleep at the wheel to not see that one coming... Think it's a case of get out whilst there's still a chance?
    Give us some numbers?
    Talking -18% last year, -10% year before that, -22% last 12 months. Stinker
    What fund are you in ?  As I said, last 12-18 months have been bad for UK property funds, but before then some were doing really well. My main recommended fund was L&G property which had made gains in most years since 2016. Some funds have closed completely and its taken over a year to get the money out.  
    abrdn UK Real Estate Share Fund is the one that I'm talking about above.

Gut reaction is that it's followed the base rate pretty closely so should have bottomed out (if you think BoE won't raise it more/much more) and will have the upcoming housing market slump priced in as people trickle off their 2-year fixes... Doesn't explain the poor performance before that though.

Still, just my own amateur opinions and the track record over the past 12-18months is woeful which shows you what I know - mainly because of this mob and UK small companies (Ninety One UK Smaller Companies I Acc Net GBP).
  • mendonca said:
    Done a little review and have taken a bit of a hammering in my UK real estate fund, asleep at the wheel to not see that one coming... Think it's a case of get out whilst there's still a chance?
    Give us some numbers?
    What fund are you in ?  As I said, last 12-18 months have been bad for UK property funds, but before then some were doing really well. My main recommended fund was L&G property which had made gains in most years since 2016. Some funds have closed completely and its taken over a year to get the money out.  

Gut reaction is that it's followed the base rate pretty closely so should have bottomed out (if you think BoE won't raise it more/much more) and will have the upcoming housing market slump priced in as people trickle off their 2-year fixes... Doesn't explain the poor performance before that though.

Still, just my own amateur opinions and the track record over the past 12-18months is woeful which shows you what I know - mainly because of this mob and UK small companies (Ninety One UK Smaller Companies I Acc Net GBP).
    The main reason is that you are in a fund that invests in property companies and NOT in property itself. Also it has nothing to do with base rates, simply the companies that Aberdeen invest in. 

If you are investing into a property fund you need to be investing into a fund that invests directly into bricks & mortar - usually in this case Funds will be invested into Retail Parks, High Street shops & offices and some companies invest into Student lets & rental properties. 

I have to ask - why did you invest into this fund ?  The only reason why you should be investing into property is as a diversifier. And, as I said above, property in this case is physical property and not property company shares. 

Aberdeen do a physical property fund. Same name as the one you are inversed in, just without the "shares" at the end. 
  • mendonca said:
    Give us some numbers?

The main reason is that you are in a fund that invests in property companies and NOT in property itself. Also it has nothing to do with base rates, simply the companies that Aberdeen invest in. 

If you are investing into a property fund you need to be investing into a fund that invests directly into bricks & mortar - usually in this case Funds will be invested into Retail Parks, High Street shops & offices and some companies invest into Student lets & rental properties. 

I have to ask - why did you invest into this fund ?  The only reason why you should be investing into property is as a diversifier. And, as I said above, property in this case is physical property and not property company shares. 

Aberdeen do a physical property fund. Same name as the one you are inversed in, just without the "shares" at the end. 
    To be honest, a mate who started out as a financial advisor set me up early-mid 2010's - comfortable 10-14% annualised return for a long while so didn't question any of the funds.

Only now it's got a bit hairy and the rationale for the portfolio is anyone's guess - except its meant to be med-high risk. Might inbox you if that's alright so to not derail the thread too much!
  • mendonca said:
    Give us some numbers?

To be honest, a mate who started out as a financial advisor set me up early-mid 2010's - comfortable 10-14% annualised return for a long while so didn't question any of the funds.

Only now it's got a bit hairy and the rationale for the portfolio is anyone's guess - except its meant to be med-high risk. Might inbox you if that's alright so to not derail the thread too much!
    Yes, thanks for the DM. 

This is not only to you but anyone else who is invested in funds - they should be regularly reviewed. Not only for performance but to see if your overall "portfolio" still meets your attitude to risk.

Even over the past 18 months funds that were previously "top dogs" are now going backwards rapidly. Big tech stocks in the US went ballistic after the pandemic then fell out of favour last year. Equity income funds did well last year but are now been overtaken by Growth funds. As for Bonds.....just a complete nitemare atm. 
  • NS&I just released a 1 year bond at 6.2%. Suspect it’ll go quick so fill your boots!!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    NS&I just released a 1 year bond at 6.2%. Suspect it’ll go quick so fill your boots!!
    I’m on it. Game-changer!
  • Rob7Lee said:
    NS&I just released a 1 year bond at 6.2%. Suspect it’ll go quick so fill your boots!!
    I’m on it. Game-changer!
    No more than £1m though 😉
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I’m on it. Game-changer!
    Bummer. 
    I'll have to find something else. 
  • Someone needs the money
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I’m on it. Game-changer!
    Each ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Even better odds off winning in tomorrow's draw and more prizes.

Good luck!

Current and new Premium Bonds prize fund rate and odds

Prize fund rate for August 2023 prize draw

Odds for August 2023 prize draw

New prize fund rate (from September 2023)

New odds (from September 2023)

4.00% tax-free

22,000 to 1

4.65% tax-free

21,000 to 1

Number and value of Premium Bonds prizes

Value of prizes in August 2023

Number of prizes in August 2023

Value of prizes in September 2023 (estimated)

Number of prizes in September 2023 (estimated)

£1,000,000

£1,000,000

£100,000

£100,000

£50,000

£50,000

£25,000

£25,000

£10,000

£10,000

£5,000

£5,000

£1,000

£1,000

£500

£500

£100

£100

£50

£50

£25

£25

Total

£404,560,900

Total

Total

£470,827,650

Total

• mendonca said:
    Give us some numbers?

Yes, thanks for the DM. 

This is not only to you but anyone else who is invested in funds - they should be regularly reviewed. Not only for performance but to see if your overall "portfolio" still meets your attitude to risk.

Even over the past 18 months funds that were previously "top dogs" are now going backwards rapidly. Big tech stocks in the US went ballistic after the pandemic then fell out of favour last year. Equity income funds did well last year but are now been overtaken by Growth funds. As for Bonds.....just a complete nitemare atm. 
    A "regular review" is what keeps advisers in business and results in 90% of investors getting in at the top and selling at the bottom.
  • edited September 2023
    £100 for me, £100 for Mrs R7L and £250 for daughter.

EDIT, £150 for father in law.
  • £300 for me.
  • £300

Last prize as I now need the money for house deposit. 
  • edited September 2023
    3 x £25 & 2 x £50 for me, nought for herself.

Decided to cash some in after today's results and put it in the 1 year bond paying 6%.
  • Good one for me PBwise.  3 x £100, 1 x £50 and 1 x £25.  Happy with that!
  • Just the £25 for me