Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Done a little review and have taken a bit of a hammering in my UK real estate fund, asleep at the wheel to not see that one coming... Think it's a case of get out whilst there's still a chance?
  • Done a little review and have taken a bit of a hammering in my UK real estate fund, asleep at the wheel to not see that one coming... Think it's a case of get out whilst there's still a chance?
    Give us some numbers?
    If its a mainstream UK property fund then they all took a hammering in 2022, with some even closing completely. Those still around have recovered in a bit since the turn of the year but are still down on 2021.
  • 7750 pls
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Everyone want to go again on the FTSE100 comp? If so let me know number by 14th August.

Also, how's everyone's investments doing? My pension is back to an all time high, I'm making more a month on it than my gross salary!
    Bump.

Have we got a list of runners and riders 
  • If I'm not too late, I'll do 7554.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry, I've been away and only getting around to this. As I've been lax let's give everyone until the end of the weekend.

As it stands (please check I haven't missed your post and I've entered correctly!):

NameLevel
    @TelMc32 
    Addick Addict7652
    Addickinedi7707
    aitchyaddick7978
    Bangkokaddick7771
    blackpool727750
    bobmunro7848
    CAFC, we hate palace 
    cafc7-6htfc 
    cafcpolo7698
    CAFCsayer 
    CAFCWest7950
    CharltonKerry7868
    Covered End7702
    Daarrrzzettbum 
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 6750
    Exiledin Manchester 
    fat man on a moped 
    Fortune 82nd Minute7554
    Gary Poole 
    golfaddick7680
    guinnessaddick7878
    happy valley 
    HardyAddick7625
    holyjo7899
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty 
    Housty 
    Huskaris 
    IdleHans7945
    Jamescafc7750
    Jon_CAFC_7490
    KentAddick 
    Killer Kish 
    LargeAddick7887
    Lonelynorthernaddick 
    meldrew667575
    Morboe7625
    MrOneLung 
    No.1 in South London 
    oohaahmortimer 
    Pedro457452
    PragueAddick7600
    RalphMilne7721
    Redman7562
    Rob7Lee7891
    Salad 
    Solidgone7990
    StrikerFirmani7665
    thecat7792
    TheGhostofTomHovi7708
    Thread Killer 
    valleynick667923
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub8047
    wwaddick8002
  • I will take 7725 please!
  • While I'm here perhaps I could get opinions on two related questions re markets performance this week

1. What are the main factors driving this week's sell-off?

2. Why is it that the only equity holding I have that is bucking the downturn trend is....Direct Line😂😉 I cannot find any news about them but since  Tuesday it's up about 10%....anyone know? 
  • Mainly China woes - property bubble threatening again (a major property company missed its bond payments last weekend); Chinese tech companies posting bad results; Chinese economic data woeful.

On top of that a slightly more hawkish tone from the FED minutes this week is raising bond yields and affecting high PE/growth and high yield stocks in particular.

No idea why DL is rising - most insurance companies are getting hit with the rising bond yields issue.
  • edited August 2023
    While I'm here perhaps I could get opinions on two related questions re markets performance this week

1. What are the main factors driving this week's sell-off?

2. Why is it that the only equity holding I have that is bucking the downturn trend is....Direct Line😂😉 I cannot find any news about them but since  Tuesday it's up about 10%....anyone know? 
    evergrande (one of china's largest property developers) have finally filed for bankruptcy, I'd have thought it would've been priced into the market by now, but it's still a shock. 
  • Mainly China woes - property bubble threatening again (a major property company missed its bond payments last weekend); Chinese tech companies posting bad results; Chinese economic data woeful.

On top of that a slightly more hawkish tone from the FED minutes this week is raising bond yields and affecting high PE/growth and high yield stocks in particular.

No idea why DL is rising - most insurance companies are getting hit with the rising bond yields issue.
    Thanks..I'm currently about 10% down overall on my DL holding, which I mainly bought as an income stock, so naturally as soon as I did that they stopped paying dividends😂 I was hoping to get out at more or less parity and then invest the proceeds in L&G which is generally considered safe, and also pays a quite juicy dividend. L&G looks quite cheap right now. I wonder whether therefore I should do this today...but what if the DL rise is due to some kind of whisper that they may become a takeover target, in which case I might be better to wait at least until I know what's going on there...  
  • FTSE fell earlier this week with the news of higher pay increases, which the market felt could lead to the BOE increasing rates further as higher pay leads to more spending which leads to higher inflation. 

I attended a seminar yesterday about Bonds - gilts mainly. This particular fund management company is now thinking the base rate will hit 6% by the end of the year & wont start falling until 2025. By 2027 we might see the base rate around 3%.

So, all that the strikers (doctors, nurses, teachers, train drivers etc etc) have achieved is to make themselves worse off by having to endure higher interest rates for longer.
  • Unless they are strict savers and saving a larger amount of their pay on higher rates.
  • mendonca said:
    Unless they are strict savers and saving a larger amount of their pay on higher rates.
    I doubt it.....thought they were all saying they were having to use food banks & working for £14 hr.

Thanks..I'm currently about 10% down overall on my DL holding, which I mainly bought as an income stock, so naturally as soon as I did that they stopped paying dividends😂 I was hoping to get out at more or less parity and then invest the proceeds in L&G which is generally considered safe, and also pays a quite juicy dividend. L&G looks quite cheap right now. I wonder whether therefore I should do this today...but what if the DL rise is due to some kind of whisper that they may become a takeover target, in which case I might be better to wait at least until I know what's going on there...  
    I hold L&G.  Just had some decent results but sold off nonetheless - apparently the market was expecting a bigger share buy-back.  I think long term they are going to benefit from their strategy.  

If you sell DL while it's on the up and buy L&G while it's depressed, you are theoretically risk neutral on the sector (although they are very different types of insurance companies).  The alternative is cash, of course ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Not done this before but, if allowed, 7401.

Suspect it's to do with good results from Admiral this week on the back of them hiking premiums significantly. I have a few ADM shares (happy) but they've just jacked up my house insurance renewal by 50% (not happy) so I've given them the Arkell v Pressdram on that one. Though they offered me a reduction of about 10% when I asked them to cancel my auto-renewal it wasnt enough.

• edited August 2023
    FTSE100 down again this morning. Down 3.5% this week and down almost 5% since the start of the month. Same with the US and Europe down 6% over the past 3 weeks.

tough August. I blame Methven & Co   :D

I hold L&G.  Just had some decent results but sold off nonetheless - apparently the market was expecting a bigger share buy-back.  I think long term they are going to benefit from their strategy.  

If you sell DL while it's on the up and buy L&G while it's depressed, you are theoretically risk neutral on the sector (although they are very different types of insurance companies).  The alternative is cash, of course ...
    Me too, I worked for them 2000-2006 and did very well on the shares back then. Good company.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Mainly China woes - property bubble threatening again (a major property company missed its bond payments last weekend); Chinese tech companies posting bad results; Chinese economic data woeful.

Me too, I worked for them 2000-2006 and did very well on the shares back then. Good company.
    The price is just starting to tick back up this morning - that you moving the market, @PragueAddick ?
  • FTSE fell earlier this week with the news of higher pay increases, which the market felt could lead to the BOE increasing rates further as higher pay leads to more spending which leads to higher inflation. 

I attended a seminar yesterday about Bonds - gilts mainly. This particular fund management company is now thinking the base rate will hit 6% by the end of the year & wont start falling until 2025. By 2027 we might see the base rate around 3%.

So, all that the strikers (doctors, nurses, teachers, train drivers etc etc) have achieved is to make themselves worse off by having to endure higher interest rates for longer.
    Seems a bit unfair blaming the strikers in particular.

Surely this is mainly down to pay rises of 6 -7% achieved by normal workers in the private sector without needing to strike. Let's hope they don't get 8% next year!
  • Haven't been on for a while and notice the interest in alternatives to HL.  I finally switched to them this year, having been a customer since 1991. I've moved to Interactive Brokers, the US discount broker.

Main benefits
    - lower/comporable admin fees, despite having to pay a separate SIPP administrator
    - lower trading commissions - typically £3 for a UK stock, usually $1 for US and sometimes free, no minimum volume
    - much, much lower fx costs - they effectively allow you to run a multi-currency account and switch between ccys at bank rate; Consequently, I'm still booking US trades at $1.30/£; and, e.g. buying, say, 10k of Microsoft for $1.02 fees all in.
    - decent interest on cash balances; e.g I've been getting 4.83% on dollar deposits for months
    - diret market access means I generally get a much better price than I would via HL (thought see below)
    - incredible reporting and risk management - professional level but easy to understand, e,g. will chart your holdings allocations again a benchmark and show where you are out- and under-performing that benchmark on a really easy to understand 2-d chart
    - proper performance reporting and all sorts of nuggets like it will project your dividend income and give you bundled access to all sorts of fundamental analysis and news

Disadvantages
    - you have to wait the 2 days for a stock to clear and settle before you can use that cash
    - a lot of people might find the interface complicated, though the web interface I think is pretty clear (difficult one for me to judge, as I spent most of my adult life designing and building trading systems)
    - having to set up a separate SIPP admin - aggro initially but worth it in the end
    - some illiquid UK stocks are a little clunky to trade - direct market orders can sit there all day; whereas HL (and IG) take on the risk on your behalf immediately.
    - you have to pay for market data, but then the data is better and it's always been refunded with maybe 2-3 trades a month.
    I also use Interactive Brokers (as well as Swissquote in Lux) and they are pretty good, but one thing to keep in mind is the $60K threshold for cash and/or US domiciled stocks/funds. Once you go over this figure you can be liable for taxation on your estate, ie. if you die you will be taxed as if you were a US resident.
  • edited August 2023
    mendonca said:
    Done a little review and have taken a bit of a hammering in my UK real estate fund, asleep at the wheel to not see that one coming... Think it's a case of get out whilst there's still a chance?
    Give us some numbers?
    Talking -18% last financial year, -10% year before that, -22% last 12 months. Stinker
  • mendonca said:
    Done a little review and have taken a bit of a hammering in my UK real estate fund, asleep at the wheel to not see that one coming... Think it's a case of get out whilst there's still a chance?
    Give us some numbers?
    Talking -18% last year, -10% year before that, -22% last 12 months. Stinker
    What fund are you in ?  As I said, last 12-18 months have been bad for UK property funds, but before then some were doing really well. My main recommended fund was L&G property which had made gains in most years since 2016. Some funds have closed completely and its taken over a year to get the money out.  
  • Haven't been on for a while and notice the interest in alternatives to HL.  I finally switched to them this year, having been a customer since 1991. I've moved to Interactive Brokers, the US discount broker.

Main benefits
    - lower/comporable admin fees, despite having to pay a separate SIPP administrator
    - lower trading commissions - typically £3 for a UK stock, usually $1 for US and sometimes free, no minimum volume
    - much, much lower fx costs - they effectively allow you to run a multi-currency account and switch between ccys at bank rate; Consequently, I'm still booking US trades at $1.30/£; and, e.g. buying, say, 10k of Microsoft for $1.02 fees all in.
    - decent interest on cash balances; e.g I've been getting 4.83% on dollar deposits for months
    - diret market access means I generally get a much better price than I would via HL (thought see below)
    - incredible reporting and risk management - professional level but easy to understand, e,g. will chart your holdings allocations again a benchmark and show where you are out- and under-performing that benchmark on a really easy to understand 2-d chart
    - proper performance reporting and all sorts of nuggets like it will project your dividend income and give you bundled access to all sorts of fundamental analysis and news

Disadvantages
    - you have to wait the 2 days for a stock to clear and settle before you can use that cash
    - a lot of people might find the interface complicated, though the web interface I think is pretty clear (difficult one for me to judge, as I spent most of my adult life designing and building trading systems)
    - having to set up a separate SIPP admin - aggro initially but worth it in the end
    - some illiquid UK stocks are a little clunky to trade - direct market orders can sit there all day; whereas HL (and IG) take on the risk on your behalf immediately.
    - you have to pay for market data, but then the data is better and it's always been refunded with maybe 2-3 trades a month.
    I also use Interactive Brokers (as well as Swissquote in Lux) and they are pretty good, but one thing to keep in mind is the $60K threshold for cash and/or US domiciled stocks/funds. Once you go over this figure you can be liable for taxation on your estate, ie. if you die you will be taxed as if you were a US resident.
    I wasn't aware of that.  Are you sure that applies to a UK registered SIPP?  Would seem unlikely but would need to check to be sure.