Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• Options
    Can I send you a list of my shareholdings, @Rob7Lee, so you can alert me the next time your crystal ball is bang on the money?  ;)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Just when I thought this income lark was a nice calm way to invest, I get an alert from H-L that the Direct Line management has fessed up to fucking up, and the stock promptly sheds 20% - because among other things they have decided to cancel the dividend!!!!

Now I’m thankful that I only committed 2k to these cowboys. Will be selling as soon as I get near to parity with the price I paid. 

What does Mr Direct Line @Rob7Lee think about this?😉

Please see my post of 6th Jan suggesting suggesting taking some profit!!

Not sure the management Fcuked up, not unless they control the weather  :D they'll bounce back, shares back to around when you bought them? 
    Thats true, you did say that, but I didnt do that as I had bought it mainly for the income. It now turns out I wont get any sodding income. 
    They should headhunt Sergei the Meerkat to take over as CEO
    Profit is income.......
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Can I send you a list of my shareholdings, @Rob7Lee, so you can alert me the next time your crystal ball is bang on the money?  ;)
    If only.

DLG are a good company, they'll bounce back.

Insurance by its very nature can be volatile. Perils such as freeze (burst pipes) are particularly difficult, a tank/mains in a loft bursting in a 3 bed semi unnoticed for 15 minutes is £150k minimum. It's a difficult one to combat, we've all insulated our lofts like mad the last 20 years - but how many people keep tanks and pipes uncovered to allow a little heat up there?

It's always worst if that cold spell is over Christmas when people are away.
  • Options
    Now, if only there was a way that you could invest into a number of shares so that your investment was both protected from 1 (or maybe a few) shares falling in value and also (because this "thing" invests into a number of income generating companies) will pay out a modest income every 6 months. 🤔

What would I call it  ?  A collection of shares ?  (too clunky). An Open Ended Investment Company ?  (too wordy- but there might be an acronym out there somewhere). 

Good point, well made. Looking forward to the educated counter-arguments...
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Just when I thought this income lark was a nice calm way to invest, I get an alert from H-L that the Direct Line management has fessed up to fucking up, and the stock promptly sheds 20% - because among other things they have decided to cancel the dividend!!!!

Now I’m thankful that I only committed 2k to these cowboys. Will be selling as soon as I get near to parity with the price I paid. 

What does Mr Direct Line @Rob7Lee think about this?😉

Please see my post of 6th Jan suggesting suggesting taking some profit!!

Not sure the management Fcuked up, not unless they control the weather  :D they'll bounce back, shares back to around when you bought them? 
    Thats true, you did say that, but I didnt do that as I had bought it mainly for the income. It now turns out I wont get any sodding income. 
    They should headhunt Sergei the Meerkat to take over as CEO
    Profit is income.......
    weeelll, yes. But it involves making calls which some will find quite stressful to make, especially if the purpose is to provide steady income in older age...sonny ;)  

My issue is the sudden cancelling of the dividend. I suppose the learning is, if the yield is quite high, you might expect volatile decision-making as the price of it, and it's important to build a base of less excitable but rock solid companies like P&G
  • Options
    Now, if only there was a way that you could invest into a number of shares so that your investment was both protected from 1 (or maybe a few) shares falling in value and also (because this "thing" invests into a number of income generating companies) will pay out a modest income every 6 months. 🤔

What would I call it  ?  A collection of shares ?  (too clunky). An Open Ended Investment Company ?  (too wordy- but there might be an acronym out there somewhere). 

Good point, well made. Looking forward to the educated counter-arguments...
    I'm sure it's interesting only to me, but with a start point of 1 April 2022 (selected as it's the point at which I gave up work and therefore need to generate some income), my returns have been:
    Shares chosen by me (33% of my investments excluding cash, 14 shares): +10.2% of which 4.0% has been dividends
    Funds (67% exc cash, mainly Vantage 80 and 100% equity plus a couple of loser BG funds): -1.4%
    Total return approx 2.3% in just over 9 months.

Golfie's point about diversification is well made. Of 14 current shareholdings, 9 have made a profit and 5 a loss. If you take out my two top performers, Total Energies and the lottery that is Zynex, I'd have generated absolutely zero returns picking my own stocks.

• Options
    I was one who bought a chunk of Zynex shares after TS took over, held onto them until earlier this week when they finally went into the black. Took some of @Rob7Lee advice and took the profit, but dont think ill be going back there again.......lottery indeed.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    FTSE 100 breaks 7800 currently 7832 the record close was 7903 in May 2018. However, as always, I have some real high flyers and an equal proportion of bummers. Although, I am showing my portfolio at the highest it’s ever been. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was one who bought a chunk of Zynex shares after TS took over, held onto them until earlier this week when they finally went into the black. Took some of @Rob7Lee advice and took the profit, but dont think ill be going back there again.......lottery indeed.

I've considered cashing out Zynex for a fairly decent profit but it's the only speculative share among my otherwise sensible and solid holdings, and I've decided to hang on to see how far it might go. If it doubles I'll sell half and if it flops, well, it's not a huge holding anyway.

• Options
    FTSE over 7800 for only the 3rd time ever, doom and gloom MSM now reversing on their recession agenda’s, I have not dabbled last 18 months on markets, particularly AIM, opportunities aplenty now out there, time to get my magic xls going again me thinks to track the runners & riders,  one day Rodders😀😀
  • Options
    7,966 fro me please. 
  • Options
    FTSE over 7800 for only the 3rd time ever, doom and gloom MSM now reversing on their recession agenda’s, I have not dabbled last 18 months on markets, particularly AIM, opportunities aplenty now out there, time to get my magic xls going again me thinks to track the runners & riders,  one day Rodders😀😀
    Now below 7550. 
  • Options
    It’s at 7747 golfie not 7550?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Lucky he doesn’t need to be good with figures for his job!!!!  🫣😂
    Mind you he could be right come close of play tomorrow😀
  • Options
    Oops, silly me.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Kent Reliance gone to 3% on easy access from today. Although I believe that’s to existing customers. 2.8% for new I think.
  • Options
    Recently took out a 1 year saving plan with First Direct, max is £300 per month, paying 7%.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Zopa offering 2.86% on instant access, 2.91% for 7 days notice and 3.06% for 31 days notice, all via their app, FSCS protected.
    Easy access rates are creeping up but longer term fixes are off their autumn highs.
  • Options

More good news on the Premium  Bond front.

Prizes going up again from February

Value of prizes in January 2023

Number of prizes in January 2023

Value of prizes in February 2023 (estimated)

Number of prizes in February 2023 (estimated)

£1,000,000

£1,000,000

£100,000

£100,000

£50,000

£50,000

£25,000

£25,000

£10,000

£10,000

£5,000

£5,000

£1,000

£1,000

£500

£500

£100

£100

£50

£50

£25

£25

Total

£299,202,350

Total

Total

£314,347,875

Total

Same chance of winning , in terms of the number of prizes, but if you are lucky enough to do so, potentially the prize could be bigger.
  • Options
    £625 between me and wife in January so let’s hope more in Feb 🙏🙏
  • Options
    7913 please 
  • Options
    7913 please 
    Cheeky, closing date was 20th, but I'm not bothered  :)
  • Options
    Good grief! No wonder I didn't get a dividend from Direct Line. It's been run by a first year graphic design student!!!

• Options
    7913 please 
    Cheeky, closing date was 20th, but I'm not bothered  :)
    Sorry. Forgot but thought it was 30th! Pint on me if I win!!
  • Options
    Good grief! No wonder I didn't get a dividend from Direct Line. It's been run by a first year graphic design student!!!

@Rob7Lee said a few days ago that DLG is a good company. I suspect that it's now a slightly better one.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

According to Wikipedia she is 53 & in 2021 earnt £929k in salary, bonus, shares & pension contributions. 

I think you're asking too much @pragueaddick for a miserly dividend. 
  • Options
    .IdleHans said:

@Rob7Lee said a few days ago that DLG is a good company. I suspect that it's now a slightly better one.
    One thing I will say, had they not changed their reinsurance broker at the end of 2021, then maybe their weather losses wouldn't have been so bad.

Sometimes you get what you pay for....... and don't always believe your actuaries and modellers.