Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Savings and Investments thread

Comments

• 1 x £100 and 1 x £50 for me ... not a bad start to 2023.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    For me £150 - 1x £100 and 2x £25.
    Mrs R7L £350 - 2x£100, 2x £50, 2x £25.
    Youngest daughter - £100 - 1x £50 and 2x £25.

Had worse months!
    No wonder I won naff all. 
    You nicked it.
    You can't expect to win the CL FTSE predictor AND win on the premium bonds  :D

Not sure how many you have, but very unusual now to not win if you have the maximum.

Father in law just £50 this month, for once I beat him!
    I have 22k in premium bonds and to be honest this is the 1st time in about 6 or 7 months that I've drawn a blank.
    So I can't complain 
  • £125 (£100 &£25) for me a £50 er for the wife and £25 for junior this month on the PBs.
  • edited January 2023
    The chances of winning a prize on PB are 24000/1.
  • Hmm, I just totted up my PB winnings in 2022, and actually the return is 2.3%. Which is not bad. And I'm, lets say, somewhat less than fully invested.

Doubtless they will punish me for this in 2023  :)
  • edited January 2023
    The chances of winning a prize on PB are 24000/1.
    You can have a little play here to see your odds/investment ratio and also see how you compare with your winnings.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds-calculator/#result

• Mr F £25

FF £100 

All helps towards the expenses for next Tuesday.
  • First month of being in the draw with the maximum invested. 4 x £50 & 1x £100. Happy with that for my debut.
  • 1 x £25
    1x £500

Ding Dong. 
    Blimey, £500's rarely seen on here. Nice one Colin. Money goes to money, eh?! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• 7710 please
  • Bit late to the party but 7440 for me please.
  • 7777 for me please. Expecting a dip then a rebound to roughly where we are now. Which means it wont happen...

• IdleHans said:
    7777 for me please. Expecting a dip then a rebound to roughly where we are now. Which means it wont happen...

So that’s you AND @CharltonKerry who’ve taken my guess for the December end.  Good luck 😉👍🏻
  • TelMc32 said:
    IdleHans said:
    7777 for me please. Expecting a dip then a rebound to roughly where we are now. Which means it wont happen...

So that’s you AND @CharltonKerry who’ve taken my guess for the December end.  Good luck 😉👍🏻
    Well this is for June end, if I were using all my knowledge, insight and vast experience (aka guessing) end December now I'd be forecasting somewhere just north of 8000. 

@Rob7Lee can I please revise my June guess to 7745 to avoid clashing? Cheers
  • 7840 for me please.
  • £250 this month! Most I’ve won in a meeting nth so far. Pleased with that 🙂
  • I have been meaning to follow up my moans about 2022 with a few remarks about the bright spots, which also call for some thanks to a few people on here. This was the year I discovered the joys of income. Of course this is partly thanks to the surge in interest rates which heralded savings account opps. which were unthinkable even at the beginning of the year, but the portfolio of funds my IFA put together with an eye on delivering income have done well, and I now have a decent portfolio of shares which deliver good dividends. Some of them I chose after suggestions from @Rob7Lee (aka Mr Direct Line) and @WishIdStayedinthePub. Of course neither were offering pro advice, and another suggestion from someone who normally makes good calls has gone a bit pear. But anyway you make your own bed investing, and you lie in it. Thanks for the tips that have done well guys. The one I'm most pleased with is a company I did some work for just before shutting up shop so I got to see them up close and personal. It's Novo Nordisk, a Danish pharma. Their core business is diabetes treatments, where they are a strong market leader, but this year, soon after I bought, they announced impressive trial results for an anti-obesity drug. They are now up 39% since I bought this year, and I was buying mainly for reliable dividends! (unfortunately it's not traded on the FTSE)

Income isn't a priority if you are half my age but I'm very happy with how this has gone, especially as the savings accounts look set to stay bouyant for most of this year. I opened a spreadsheet to log the income as it rolls in, and I include the Premium Bonds there, so generally I can enter a happy update each month, which is an excellent antidote to contemplating the wreckage of bloody Vanguard Life Strategy  :D
  • 7647 for me please
  • edited January 2023
    I have been meaning to follow up my moans about 2022 with a few remarks about the bright spots, which also call for some thanks to a few people on here. This was the year I discovered the joys of income. Of course this is partly thanks to the surge in interest rates which heralded savings account opps. which were unthinkable even at the beginning of the year, but the portfolio of funds my IFA put together with an eye on delivering income have done well, and I now have a decent portfolio of shares which deliver good dividends. Some of them I chose after suggestions from @Rob7Lee (aka Mr Direct Line) and @WishIdStayedinthePub. Of course neither were offering pro advice, and another suggestion from someone who normally makes good calls has gone a bit pear. But anyway you make your own bed investing, and you lie in it. Thanks for the tips that have done well guys. The one I'm most pleased with is a company I did some work for just before shutting up shop so I got to see them up close and personal. It's Novo Nordisk, a Danish pharma. Their core business is diabetes treatments, where they are a strong market leader, but this year, soon after I bought, they announced impressive trial results for an anti-obesity drug. They are now up 39% since I bought this year, and I was buying mainly for reliable dividends! (unfortunately it's not traded on the FTSE)

Income isn't a priority if you are half my age but I'm very happy with how this has gone, especially as the savings accounts look set to stay bouyant for most of this year. I opened a spreadsheet to log the income as it rolls in, and I include the Premium Bonds there, so generally I can enter a happy update each month, which is an excellent antidote to contemplating the wreckage of bloody Vanguard Life Strategy  :D
    Well done @PragueAddick & pleased most of your calls have come off. Hope mine were part of the positive ones & not the negatives 😄.

Thing is, you sometimes can't help people. I have a client I'm seeing next week & just doing the prep for it today. They have a Stakeholder pension they set up themselves some years ago & have been very resistant to change it to even a basic SIPP or Drawdown plan (they are now retired). The only thing they have agreed to do is to let me be the "servicing agent" on the plan which means I can go online & obtain statements etc. As a stakeholder plan it does not pay any adviser fees so it's not as if I even get paid for "looking" at it and as such there is nothing I can really do regarding "advice" apart from telling them annually what they should be doing with regard to funds & letting them get on with it. In checking today it appears they are in a "Lifestyle" model, where the closer you get to retirement the more cautious the funds are. The kicker being that this model is set up at retirement to be 70% Bonds & 30% cash.....and last year their pension fell 25.7%. Ouch. They have c£130k sat there (which I don't think they need atm as they have other pension provision) and I'll have to have, yet again, THAT conversation about rick v reward....but what do you do when some is mid 60's and feels that equity is too risky ? Ho hum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:
    So who wants to go again?

FTSE100 at 30th June (or last working day)

Get your predictions in by 5pm Friday 20th January?

@blackpool72 you're up first!
    7800 please @ Rob7Lee, forever the optimist 
  • So scores on the doors, still some left to enter, newbies always welcome, hopefully haven't missed anyone.

NameLevel
    Er_Be_Ab_Pl_Wo_Wo_Ch 6500
    WishIdStayedInThe Pub6625
    bobmunro6950
    meldrew667117
    Pedro457153
    Redman7250
    PragueAddick7300
    wwaddick7350
    Thread Killer7423
    Fortune 82nd Minute7440
    Covered End7508
    CAFCWest7510
    Morboe7554
    LargeAddick7647
    blackpool727650
    Addick Addict7652
    guinnessaddick7658
    Jon_CAFC_7675
    fat man on a moped7685
    RalphMilne7689
    thecat7710
    IdleHans7745
    CharltonKerry7777
    Rob7Lee7785
    Daarrrzzettbum7800
    aitchyaddick7809
    golfaddick7824
    StrikerFirmani7840
    valleynick667856
    cafcpolo7893
    @TelMc32 
    Bangkokaddick 
    CAFC, we hate palace 
    cafc7-6htfc 
    CAFCsayer 
    Exiledin Manchester 
    Gary Poole 
    happy valley 
    HardyAddick 
    holyjo 
    Hoof_it_up_to_benty 
    Housty 
    Huskaris 
    Jamescafc 
    KentAddick 
    Killer Kish 
    Lonelynorthernaddick 
    MrOneLung 
    No.1 in South London 
    oohaahmortimer 
    Salad 
    TheGhostofTomHovi 
  • This might be a naive question, @PragueAddick, but as someone who seems pretty clued-up on his investments, what do you see as the advantage in investing for dividends rather than in shares with low/no dividend?
    In the latter case if you want a 5% income you can just sell 5% of your holding each year. This gives you control of your income stream and (under UK tax rules at least) the ability potentially to use your CGT allowance each year. I'm starting to give consideration to such matters as retirement looms large on my horizon (and I'm not actually working while I languish on an NHS waiting list), so orhers' perspectives are very welcome and helpful.
  • Thanks for the reminder @Rob7Lee.  I’ll go optimistic and say 8,000 😉
  • IdleHans said:
    This might be a naive question, @PragueAddick, but as someone who seems pretty clued-up on his investments, what do you see as the advantage in investing for dividends rather than in shares with low/no dividend?
    In the latter case if you want a 5% income you can just sell 5% of your holding each year. This gives you control of your income stream and (under UK tax rules at least) the ability potentially to use your CGT allowance each year. I'm starting to give consideration to such matters as retirement looms large on my horizon (and I'm not actually working while I languish on an NHS waiting list), so orhers' perspectives are very welcome and helpful.
    Which savings account would you put your cash in, the one paying 0% interest or the one paying 5% interest? Especially if you don't draw and therefore get the compounding effect.
  • 7600 for me thanks
  • edited January 2023
    Rob7Lee said:
    IdleHans said:
    This might be a naive question, @PragueAddick, but as someone who seems pretty clued-up on his investments, what do you see as the advantage in investing for dividends rather than in shares with low/no dividend?
    Which savings account would you put your cash in, the one paying 0% interest or the one paying 5% interest? Especially if you don't draw and therefore get the compounding effect.
    My point is really if you take two otherwise identical companies making the same amount of profit and with identical asset bases, except company A pays a 5% dividend and company B pays no dividend, instead retaining and reinvesting the profits, the share price of B should theoretically increase by 5% more than that of A. This then gives you the choice of either selling a % of your holding in company B or benefitting from increased capital growth.
    I do appreciate that real world comparisons are difficult as so many factors come into play.

The interest bearing account comparison doesn't hold water as interest is the only benefit - there is no opportunity for capital growth in a savings account.
  • 7767 please