Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Claus Jensen

Comments

• Options
    A brilliant goal, and the quality of the opponents elevates it even more. A poor throw from Ashley Cole and then we stole the ball from Patrick Vieira!
    Out muscled by JJ, got to laugh. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    His goal at Highbury in the 4-2 win has been voted on twitter as Charlton's best goal in a World Cup style voting event

Went and did a bit of research as to where he is now and seems he became the Manager of a Danish 2nd tier team this February, has certainly put on a bit of timber!!

Why did we sell him to Fulham though all those years ago, especially as he went on to do a decent job for them? - Amazes me he was only with us for four seasons!!

As I remember it and it was a long time ago, so could be wrong.  He thought he was out of contract after four years and his agent organised the move to Fulham on a free, which was announced in the closed season.  Charlton then said, actually we have an automatic one-year contract extension because you played X number of games (or whatever the clause was).  He wasn’t likely to return to us having announced he was off and so Fulham gave us 1.5M for him.

That’s how I remember it.

EDIT: just looked him up on Wikipedia and it says: "The Charlton fans would sing his name to the tune "charge" (often used during baseball matches), using Claus for the build-up and singing his full name "Claus William Jensen" at the climax." - anyone else remember that becuase I didnt even know his middle name was William?
  • Options
    Loved him.

Rolls Royce of a footballer. The kind of player you need to make any sort of a dent in the prem. We fell short two seasons before due to the lack of his type of quality.
    Fair play to Curbs for putting him at the top of his shopping list.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Claus was a strange one because, rather like Andy Hunt, football wasn’t really that important to him.
    Music was his great love and he evidently was a fine guitarist. He was a slightly reserved character by all accounts.
    I wonder what he turned his hand to after he retired?
    That he was a superb player goes without saying.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Claus was a strange one because like Andy Hunt football wasn’t really that important to him.
    Music was his great love and he evidently was a fine guitarist. He was a slightly reserved character by all accounts.
    He's a Football Manager now, although only just taken his first Management role
  • Options
    milo said:
    His goal at Highbury in the 4-2 win has been voted on twitter as Charlton's best goal in a World Cup style voting event

Went and did a bit of research as to where he is now and seems he became the Manager of a Danish 2nd tier team this February, has certainly put on a bit of timber!!

Why did we sell him to Fulham though all those years ago, especially as he went on to do a decent job for them? - Amazes me he was only with us for four seasons!!

As I remember it and it was a long time ago, so could be wrong.  He thought he was out of contract after four years and his agent organised the move to Fulham on a free, which was announced in the closed season.  Charlton then said, actually we have an automatic one-year contract extension because you played X number of games (or whatever the clause was).  He wasn’t likely to return to us having announced he was off and so Fulham gave us 1.5M for him.

EDIT: just looked him up on Wikipedia and it says: "The Charlton fans would sing his name to the tune "charge" (often used during baseball matches), using Claus for the build-up and singing his full name "Claus William Jensen" at the climax." - anyone else remember that becuase I didnt even know his middle name was William?
    The story I heard was that we had to pay him for a full season that he didn't play for us because his agent had negotiated a move to Fulham which met his release fee.which had basically stiched us up. 

It certainly spoils the memory. 
  • Options
    Absolute class how he ended up at charlton i dont know. 
    Remember when he turned over england? (With rommedahl)...  And arsenal as mentioned above

didnt he recommend rom and then left when rom signed?

i met him on my 18th bday in cafe rouge chislehurst and he sat chatted with us for a while and took photos. Gent.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The Charlton fans would sing his name to the tune "charge" (often used during baseball matches), using Claus for the build-up and singing his full name "Claus William Jensen" at the climax.

Er, did we?

edit. Don’t know how I missed milos post above
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Claus was a strange one because like Andy Hunt football wasn’t really that important to him.
    Well that’s interesting......I wonder what he’s been up to in the meantime?
  • Options
    He left Charlton on my birthday and I was very sad about that as he was my absolute favorite.  
    I think it was him that scored at Maine road from the centre circle?
    I think his agent negotiated a big money move for him and i thought he wasn't that bothered about football and liked smoking 'erb and playing guitar he just happened to be good at football? this may be mentioned higher up the thread. 
  • Options
    He ripped us apart in the FA cup qtr final up at Bolton & so Curbs took note & bought him a year or 2 later. 

Great player & formed a great midfield with Parker & Stuart. 
  • Options
    Always remember the fans that were not impressed with Claus (yes there are always some), complained that his shorts were as white when he finished as when he started, never mind what skills he displayed during the game
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Always remember the fans that were not impressed with Claus (yes there are always some), complained that his shorts were as white when he finished as when he started, never mind what skills he displayed during the game
    Yeah I remember some were never happy that he didnt put a tackle in... Didnt care, thats not what he was on the pitch to do!!
  • Options
    He ripped us apart in the FA cup qtr final up at Bolton & so Curbs took note & bought him a year or 2 later. 

Remember watching that game at The Valley beam back.
    Jensen ran the show.
  • Options

That Bolton defeat really annoyed me

Semi-Finals were at Wembley as I think it was one of the last years before old Wembley got demolished

Even then I knew we'd wasted the chance to go to that Wembley one last time
  • Options

Yep - I was there and remember that - he was mustard that day - at that time we are picking off the best players from our piers - Holland was another - how times have changed - my nephew was particularly disappointed when he left as he lived virtually opposite and the day before he left he signed his Charlton shirt !!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-3 v United he was sensational.

He did some great tricks on Roy Keane that day, those will always been in my memory. In that high energy kind of game, he had amazing maradona pirouettes and that made his dribbling so ace. Moments of calm, cheek and class, so useful to any side.

Given he also bossed his international career, with great performances and goals in Euros/WC,  a good shout for top 50 players in Europe at his peak.
  • Options
    Would love to watch the full 90mins of somenof those classics
  • Options
    Class in a glass , A pure joy to watch, the fella just glided across the pitch.

Took my sons to see him in the club shop when he was he doing a signing, he was out injured at the time, and I picked up how he was hobbling around, remember RM when he was in favour with the fans saying his knee/ knees had gone and that was why we flogged him.
  • Options
    Was the best player in the championship when we managed to sign him. Still couldn't quite believe we did. 

As so many others have said he was a brilliant player and probably my favourite from that period. Whilst it's horrible to see the club as it is now it's still great to have those memories of us at our peak during those premier league days.
  • Options
    25 mins of highlights... https://youtu.be/29Bi5Y42oeQ
    Fabulous use of 25 mins.  Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I’ve personally met Claus on a couple of occasions. Top bloke who still talks fondly of his time at Charlton.  The team he manages are called Nykøbing Falster. It’s his hometown club. They are struggling a bit currently and hovering above the relegation places in Danish Division 1.

one of my favourite ever Charlton players. Probably only beaten by Yann. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Well that’s interesting......I wonder what he’s been up to in the meantime?
    He’s been on the board of directors of his hometown club in Denmark (Nykøbing Falster) for the past few years before stepping into management. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    milo said:

The story I heard was that we had to pay him for a full season that he didn't play for us because his agent had negotiated a move to Fulham which met his release fee.which had basically stiched us up. 

It certainly spoils the memory. 
    I thought he simply ran down his contract and announced that he would not be signing a new one with us?
    Wasn't this also exactly the same reason we were able to get him from Bolton in the first place?
    There was a rumour we tried to get Eider Gudjohnnson (spelling) at the same time. What a coup that would have been.

• Options
    Wonderful to watch, he created himself so much time and space with his movement, the last quality player we had that had the ability to just 'ghost' past people..and that goal against the Arse
    And the one in the 4-1 loss at ManU(re) with the goalie down by the corner flag.
  • Options

I remember Curbishley saying Claus said he wanted to leave.