Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is Slade another puppet?

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited July 2016
  • edited July 2016
    Seems to have gone largely unnoticed that Slade stated in the press conference that although he only has a verbal agreement over transfers, he does have a written contractual agreement over autonomy on his matchday team/squad, which I'm not too sure previous managers (well, head coaches) would have successfully negotiated.
    Also, if we are going to suggest that he's a puppet because we've sold some of our "better" players after being relegated, I reckon that makes the majority of managers puppets.
  • Slade works for Roland and Katrien and we know full well how they run things.

No doubt Slade is working that out for himself now, too.

Leopards don't change their spots,
    Katrien will not suddenly stop lying,
    and Roland isn't going to cease being an absentee bum-wipe.

I agree except for your second sentence.
    Slade must have known what RD and KM were/are like well before he was interviewed, after all he wasn't the first choice for the job and it is common knowledge throughout the known world what has gone at Charlton.

I think he took the job mainly because Charlton is still a relatively big club to manage, and perhaps his best chance he will get now.
    He will have to toe the company line just as the previous interims have. I wish him well, I want Charlton to be back where they were 15 years ago but that is very unlikely to happen. This like all other appointments will probably come to an early end and we will be back to the best of non league Belgium has to offer.

• BDL said:

In answer to the question, no he isn't, well that's what I believe.

I draw a parallel to our current situation and the one Steve Gritt faced when he took over at Brighton. Gritty got on with his job and won the fans round, I think a number of Charlton Fans singing his name during the Fans United match helped of course!

Unlike Bob, Jose, Gus or Karel he is very much his own man and appears to have been given carte blanche. Of course it was obvious that players would be off this summer, the test will be if a Network player suddenly appears with their suitcase in SE9 saying hello Mr Russell.

It's got to be a case of supporting the team, but not the regime.

Yeah but your a bitter ex-employee so your opinion doesnt count!!
  • BDL said:

I draw a parallel to our current situation and the one Steve Gritt faced when he took over at Brighton. Gritty got on with his job and won the fans round, I think a number of Charlton Fans singing his name during the Fans United match helped of course!

Unlike Bob, Jose, Gus or Karel he is very much his own man and appears to have been given carte blanche. Of course it was obvious that players would be off this summer, the test will be if a Network player suddenly appears with their suitcase in SE9 saying hello Mr Russell.

Here we go - from an insider - a change of strategy surely?? Maybe not a complete change of strategy in every respect but certainly a change. Seems to me he has been given the remit of building a side - he will not be able to keep all he wants but I would guess that nobody comes in without his and the head scout's input - English based, non network input. A definite change. In thank you.
  • from the recent transfer activity, i see him as nothing more than a puppet making a quick buck from our demise.
  • edited July 2016
    If the report of Tony Watt being loaned to Hearts is true, I would suggest he has no control over outgoing transfers. I'm also informed that Pope was one of the few players earmarked to build around this season.

He may well have an input in to the club, but how many and what quality in my view, will be limited.

I've heard there will be three major outgoings with maybe one surprise (Harriott). If Slade isn't very concerned about the strength and depth of his squad, then sadly, I think we're in for a disappointing season.
  • Sponsored links:

• If the report of Tony Watt being loaned to Hearts is true, I would suggest he has no control over outgoing transfers. I'm also informed that Pope was one of the few players earmarked to build around this season.

He may well have an input in to the club, but how many and what quality in my view, will be limited.

I've heard there will be three major outgoings with maybe one surprise (Harriott). If Slade isn't very concerned about the strength and depth of his squad, then sadly, I think we're in for a disappointing season.

Slade said in a News Shopper Interview the other week that there was interest in Tony Watt so he shouldn't be surprised.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/14615527.Charlton_boss_confirms_transfer_interest_in_striker___but_says_this_is_the_player___s_priority/
  • I hear what your saying Dave, but anyone taking that job would have seen and heard what's been going on. Seen and maybe heard what Powell and Brownie had to say on the matter and at the very least spoken to them on the subject. Yet, RS was employed at Cardiff and still came to the Valley, what I've seen and when I heard him speak there's a lot to like. But the fact he took the job in the first place makes his decision a strange one to me, especially with no contractual agreement on a certain subject.
  • edited July 2016
    No he's not a puppet.
    He said in one of his initial press conferences that he fully expects the top end of our players to go, he would rather keep them, but the reality for any football club is that when relegation happens the best leave, its naive for any supporter to think otherwise.
    The real test will be in the next 3-4 weeks with the players he brings in, lets see where we are at the end of September.

Also I think Slade will fuck off quicker than a Le Mans start if the Rat and Liar start putting their weight around.

• If the report of Tony Watt being loaned to Hearts is true, I would suggest he has no control over outgoing transfers. I'm also informed that Pope was one of the few players earmarked to build around this season.

Slade said in a News Shopper Interview the other week that there was interest in Tony Watt so he shouldn't be surprised.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/14615527.Charlton_boss_confirms_transfer_interest_in_striker___but_says_this_is_the_player___s_priority/
    He did say there was interest, but I'm aware that he was very keen to keep Tony. I doubt he is surprised, but I imagine he would be disappointed.
  • edited July 2016

Seems like he has no say in the departures??
    Surely he wouldn't have took the job on if he'd known our best players were going to be sold 3 weeks before the new season?
    Unless it's part of his masterplan to reshaping the squad
    But I fear that's not the case
    He seems very quiet over our departures

I doubt there are many managers who have the clout to stop owners selling players.

Perhaps someone like Alex Ferguson did at Man U, but I doubt many others.

I think most Charlton fans "knew" JBG & Cousins would go & let's be honest a £1m fee for a goalie that has had half a good season, isn't necessarily bad business.

Tbh, I was expecting Texeira, Bauer, Diarra, Lookman & Watt to go as well, so at the moment I should imagine Slade is quite relieved (they'll probably all be gone by the end of the window, now I've said this).

So no I don't think Slade is a puppet & I don't think we should be suggesting he maybe until something he does suggests otherwise.

Slade has my 100% backing at the moment.
    It's bad business if in a year he's worth several times that, and we still need to get someone good enough it replace him for a good price.

Despite Murray's previous assurances, it does seem that we continue to sell players below value. What's changed its that we splash good money we don't have on the likes of Naby Sarr.
  • Slade will quit before Jan that's my prediction.
  • C4FC4L1f3 said:

Slade will quit before Jan that's my prediction.

Yep, agree with that.

I reckon by the end of October though.
  • Think he'll quickly realise it needs to create a them against us mentality.

That will get the fans onside for pitch matters and then he'll see how long he can argue and push for changes higher up.

He'll do the season, and stay if we go up. If we go up then he's convinced those above him that there are better and different ways of working.
  • To a certain degree all managers are puppets to the owners of clubs, Curbs proved he was not at West Ham and look how well that went. Slade is a puppet but to what degree we will only find out once the season gets under way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Money has dried up for transfers and I reckon Slade wanted an assistant he could trust, so rather than buying decent players RD got another coach in to transform the team.
    Next season I reckon mid table for us, at best.
  • seth plum said:

These players who are too good for league one were comprehensively beaten by Colchester United, that ought to make us pause and think for a moment.

Cousins was the only one that started.

Charlton

30Pope
    24Charles-Cook
    6Sarr
    28JohnsonSubstituted forVaz Teat 61'minutes
    21Fox
    39Poyet
    44Moussa
    10CeballosSubstituted forWilliamsat 45'minutesBooked at 52mins
    8CousinsSubstituted forVetokeleat 38'minutes
    9MakienokBooked at 71mins
    16Ghoochannejhad

Substitutes

1Henderson
    2Vaz Te
    14Vetokele
    25Williams
    26Lennon
    35Umerah
    38Konsa Ngoyo
  • seth plum said:

Daggs said:

Personally I suspect he has been conned.

It is worth revisiting his initial press conference for indications.
    He was broad in the sweep of his comments, but understandably there was no sense of depth.
    He arrived, spent a couple of weeks on site doing long hours, and working non stop which seems to have included painting the changing rooms or whatever. Three players were signed, and I presume when the squad returned, and he saw who was injured, and had individual conversations, the depth of our problems became more apparent . The initial press conference had scant indication that he knew about our history and problems.
    My impression is that a combination of money, desperation for a job, being charmed by the proven liar, and deciding he could actually trust Duchatelet led to his appointment. He was not even first choice either.
    As I said above I want him to succeed. Absolutely want that. However if Slade is the type to look for excuses then he can tell the regime not us, we know the problems already.
    Jesus wept.

Slade painted the changing rooms ?

Desperation for a job ? He already had a job at Cardiff !

You don't sound like you want him to succeed.

• BDL said:

Thank God there's someone talking some sense on here.
  • rikofold said:

Seems like he has no say in the departures??
    Surely he wouldn't have took the job on if he'd known our best players were going to be sold 3 weeks before the new season?
    Unless it's part of his masterplan to reshaping the squad
    But I fear that's not the case
    He seems very quiet over our departures

I doubt there are many managers who have the clout to stop owners selling players.

Perhaps someone like Alex Ferguson did at Man U, but I doubt many others.

I think most Charlton fans "knew" JBG & Cousins would go & let's be honest a £1m fee for a goalie that has had half a good season, isn't necessarily bad business.

Tbh, I was expecting Texeira, Bauer, Diarra, Lookman & Watt to go as well, so at the moment I should imagine Slade is quite relieved (they'll probably all be gone by the end of the window, now I've said this).

So no I don't think Slade is a puppet & I don't think we should be suggesting he maybe until something he does suggests otherwise.

Slade has my 100% backing at the moment.
    It's bad business if in a year he's worth several times that, and we still need to get someone good enough it replace him for a good price.
    Agreed, but we don't know how he will perform. What we do know, is that up until 6 months ago, he looked terrified every time he played in the first team.

It's good business if in a year he's worth less than a million, because he's gone backwards again.

No one can be confident if it's good or bad business. We'll have to wait and see.
  • It's not who's leaving that's worrying me (Pope aside I expected the others to go and I'm not surprised at the price either - they're not as good as we think) it's who's coming in that's causing concern along with injuries.

Ajose, Novak and Holmes were a good start but we need at least another 4 with League One experience or above. I also expect a few youngsters to come in on loan from some of the prem sides to beef out the squad...

No need to panic yet, but it's getting close...
  • PWR

If any employee is automatically a puppet then yes

If an employee can have control over aspects of his work while still having to bow to company decisions then no.

I don't think he is a puppet for what that is worth.
  • seth plum said:

Daggs said:

Personally I suspect he has been conned.

It is worth revisiting his initial press conference for indications.
    He was broad in the sweep of his comments, but understandably there was no sense of depth.
    He arrived, spent a couple of weeks on site doing long hours, and working non stop which seems to have included painting the changing rooms or whatever. Three players were signed, and I presume when the squad returned, and he saw who was injured, and had individual conversations, the depth of our problems became more apparent . The initial press conference had scant indication that he knew about our history and problems.
    My impression is that a combination of money, desperation for a job, being charmed by the proven liar, and deciding he could actually trust Duchatelet led to his appointment. He was not even first choice either.
    As I said above I want him to succeed. Absolutely want that. However if Slade is the type to look for excuses then he can tell the regime not us, we know the problems already.
    Great post.
    I know they're only friendlies but the players don't half look downbeat before games. There doesn't appear to be a good team spirit.
    JBG commented that the 'Atmosphere around the club is fantastic' on signing for Burnley, which made me wonder if he hasn't experienced that for a while
    I think Nugent will help with that and hopefully a crop of new signings.
  • I see why you write this, but I suppose it is a question of autonomy.
    For example a doctor is an employee, would he or she have to bow to decisions no matter what? Would a doctor expect support for what they ask for, and for their decisions to be both respected and acted upon?
    OK, if the Doctor ran out of bandages and painkillers then it is a resource question, but a Doctor would be unlikely to be described as a puppet of the health authority.
    The question about Slade is a bit more than just being an employee, and bowing to company decisions, but more like a Doctor who expects their expertise to be responded to by his or her employer. If Slade is ignored and undermined, and he accepts everything, then he is a bit of a puppet because he is employed for his experienced judgement as well as to pay some heed to company decisions.
  • Slade knew, going into it, he wasn't going to be able to keep hold of a majority of our best players.

Tony Watt is the big question mark. He should be able to persuade him to stay put in SE7. Will be disappointing if not.

Slade knew we were a club literally at rock bottom in almost every department.

I would hope and assume he knew that just a couple of promising signings weren't going to fix that. The blokes not stupid.

Just the worrying thing is that the players are going out the door rather quickly in a small space of time.
    Feels like It's a sudden rush for them to get out.

Or just untimely business perhaps.

Slades problem is - domino effect. Who's going to leave next?

Getting Solly to sign on the dotted line can't have been easy considering all the shit he went through.

The question is:

Is Slade AGRREABLE to RD and the way he sells players willy nilly.

He's his employer and only just started the job so he has to be at least not calling him a stupid c*nt everyday.

My fear is Slade will eventually call RD a c*nt because as we all know the man won't change.